- Volume 21 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of Storage Time on the Rancidity and Metabolizable Energy of Rice Polishing in Poultry
- Pasha, T.N. (Department of Animal Nutrition, Faculty of Animal Production and Technology University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences) ;
- Khattak, F.M. (Department of Poultry Production, Faculty of Animal Production and Technology, University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences) ;
- Khan, D.R. (Department of Animal Nutrition, Faculty of Animal Production and Technology University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences) ;
- Jabbar, M.A. (Department of Animal Nutrition, Faculty of Animal Production and Technology University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences)
- Received : 2007.06.18
- Accepted : 2007.10.10
- Published : 2008.03.01
The storage of rice polishing (RP) with and without addition of antioxidant for sixteen weeks and its effect on rancidity and metabolizable energy values during the summer season was determined. Fifteen Single Comb White Leghorn cockerels of approximately uniform age and weight were procured and kept in metabolic cages under standard feeding and management practices. Five force feeding trials were conducted. In the first trial, fresh RP with 0 weeks of storage (diet 1 and 2) was used followed by four feeding trials with 4 (diet 3, 4), 8 (diet 5, 6), 12 (diet 7, 8), and 16 (diet 9, 10) weeks of storage of RP. The same birds were used in all trails. The birds were fasted for a period of 21 h, followed by force feeding of 20 g of RP with and without antioxidant for all storage periods. The control/fasting group was also maintained to measure endogenous fecal losses. Excreta were collected after 48 h for the determination of AME and TME values of RP. Along with the biological trials, laboratory assay of the RP stored with and without antioxidant was conducted to measure the extent of rancidity in terms of Thiobarbituric acid value (TBA). The TBA values were affected (p<0.05) by storage period and the values increased when the storage period increased from 4 to 16 weeks. However, the TBA values were significantly reduced (p<0.05) when RP was stored after addition of antioxidant when compared with the values obtained from RP stored without antioxidant (diet 3 vs. 4, 5 vs. 6, 7 vs. 8, and 9 vs. 10). The AME MJ/kg and TME MJ/kg values of RP were neither affected by increase in storage period nor addition of antioxidant. The findings of this study revealed that there was no effect of rancidity and storage time on the nutritive value, AME or TME of RP in poultry. However, TBA values were increased with the increase in storage period.
Storage Time;Rancidity;Metabolizable Energy;Rice Polishing;Poultry
- Economic Survey of Pakistan 2005-2006. Government of Pakistan Finance Division. Economic Advisor Wing, Islamabad. pp. 10-11.
- Hamilton, C. R. and D. Kirstein. 2003. Does rancidity, as measured by peroxide value, Affect animal Performance. http://www.darlingii.com/product/documents/pveffectanimalspro.pdf.
- Chrastil, J. 1990. Table molecular weights of rice oryzenin and starch components. J. Agric. Food Chem. 38:1804. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00099a005
- Chae, B. J., K. H. Lee and S. K. Lee. 2002. Effects of feeding rancid rice bran on growth performance and chicken meat quality in broiler chicks. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(2):266- 273. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.266
- Khalique, A., K. P. Lone, A. D. Khan and T. N. Pasha. 2006. Treatments effect on biological values of defatted rice polishings. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19(2):209-216.
- Kirk, R. S. and R. Sawyer. 1991. Pearson's composition and analysis of foods. 9th edition. Harlow : AWL. USA, pp. 25-26.
- Leeson, S. and J. D. Summer. 2001. Nutrition of chicken. University Books, P.O. Box 1326, Guelph, Ontario, Canada, pp. 67-68
- Hussien, A. and F. H. Kratzer. 1982. Effect of rancidity on the feeding values of rice bran for chickens. Poult. Sci. 61:2450- 2455. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0612450
- Loosli, J. K., J. O. Pena, L. A. Ynalvez and V. Villegos. 1954. The digestibility by swine of rice bran, copra meal, coconut meal, coconut residue, and two concentrate mixtures. The Philippine Agriculturist 38:191-196.
- Lone, K. P., A. Khalique, T. N. Pasha and A. D. Khan. 2003. Chemical composition and nutritional evaluation of variously treated defatted rice polishing for broiler feeding. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16(6):873-879. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.873
- Sarkar, S. and D. K. Bhattacharyya. 1989. Studies on characteristics of rice bran. J. Oil Tech. Assoc. India. 21:11-12.
- Scott, M. L., M. C. Nesheim and R. J. Young. 1976. Nutrition of chicken. M.L. Scott and Assoc., Ithaca, NY., USA., pp. 88-89.
- Randall, J. M., R. N. Sayre, W. G. Schultz, R. Y. Fong, A. P. Mossman, R. E. Tribelhorn and R. M. Saunders. 1985. Rice bran stabilization by extrusion cooking for extraction of edible oil. J. Food Sci. 50:361-364. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1985.tb13402.x
- Salih, A. M., D. M. Smith, J. F. Price and L. E. Dawson. 1987. Modified extraction 2-thiobarbituric acid method for measuring lipid oxidation in poultry. Poult. Sci. 66:1483-1488. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0661483
- Ramezanzadeh, F. M., R. M. Rao, W. Prinyawiwatkul, W. E. Marshall and M. Windhauser. 1999 a. Prevention of hydrolytic rancidity in rice bran during storage. J. Agric. Food Chem. 47: 3050-3052. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf981335r
- Ramezanzadeh, F. M., R. M. Rao, W. Prinyawiwatkul, W. E. Marshall and M. Windhauser. 2000. Effects of microwave heat, packaging, and storage temperature on fatty acid and proximate compositions in rice bran. J. Agric. Food Chem. 48: 464-467. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9909609
- Malekian, F., R. M. Rao, W. Prinyawiwatkul, W. E. Marshall, M. Windhauser and M. Ahmedna. 2000. Lipase and lipoxygenase activity, functionality and nutrient losses in rice bran during storage. Louisiana Agri. Exp. Station. LSU Agri. Centre. Tech. Bulletin 870:51-52.
- Miller, M. R. and K. J. Reinecke. 1984. Proper Expression of metabolizable energy in avian energetics. Condor 86:396-400. https://doi.org/10.2307/1366814
- Mahatab, N. 1985. Variability in chemical composition of rice bran. Poult. Advisor. 18:39-41.
- Sibbald, I. R. 1976. A bioassay for true metabolizable energy in feedstuffs. Poult. Sci. 55:303-308. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0550303
- Wadsworth, J. I. and S. P. Koltun. 1986. Physiochemical properties and cooking quality of microwave dried rice. J. Agric. Food Chem. 39:1860-1862. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00010a035
- Yeo, H. and T. Shibamoto. 1991. Effect of moisture content on the Millard browning model system upon microwave irradiation. J. Agri. Food Chem. 39:1860-1862. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00010a035
- Warren, B. E. and J. Farrel. 1990. The nutritive value of full-fat and defatted Australian rice bran. Anim. Feed Sci. and Tech. 27:219-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(90)90084-L
- Banerjee, G. C. 1999. A text Book of Animal Husbandry. 8th Edition, Oxford and IBH Publishing Co. PVT. Ltd. New Delhi India. p. 391.
- AOAC. 1994. Official Methods of Analysis, Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA.
- Chami, D. B., P. Vohra and F. H. Kratzer. 1980. Evaluation of a method for determination of true metabolizable energy of feed ingredients. Poult. Sci. 59:569-571. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0590569
- Chae, B. J. and S. K. Lee. 2002. Rancid rice bran affects growth performance and pork quality in finishing pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(1):94-101. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.94
- Jadhao, S. B., M. Chandramoni, M. Tiwari and M. Y. Khan. 1999. Efficiency of utilization of energy from maize- and rice bran diets in old White Leghorn and Rhode Island Red laying hens. Br. Poult. Sci. 40:275-283. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669987700
- Seiden, M. T. and L. Pfander. 1957. Nutritive and feeding value of RP for poultry. Poult. Sci. 29:1635.