- Volume 21 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Association Analysis between Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Protein 3 (IGFBP3) Polymorphisms and Carcass Traits in Cattle
- Cheong, Hyun Sub (Department of Genetic Epidemiology, SNP Genetics, Inc.) ;
- Yoon, Du-Hak (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA.) ;
- Kim, Lyoung Hyo (Department of Genetic Epidemiology, SNP Genetics, Inc.) ;
- Park, Byung Lae (Department of Genetic Epidemiology, SNP Genetics, Inc.) ;
- Lee, Hye Won (Department of Genetic Epidemiology, SNP Genetics, Inc.) ;
- Namgoong, Sohg (Department of Genetic Epidemiology, SNP Genetics, Inc.) ;
- Kim, Eun Mi (Department of Genetic Epidemiology, SNP Genetics, Inc.) ;
- Chung, Eui Ryong (Department of Biotechnology, Sangji University) ;
- Cheong, Il-Cheong (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Shin, Hyoung Doo (Department of Genetic Epidemiology, SNP Genetics, Inc.)
- Received : 2006.08.09
- Accepted : 2007.04.07
- Published : 2008.03.01
The insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3 (IGFBP3) has been investigated as a candidate gene for growth promoting effects in beef cattle and a modulator of IGF bioactivity. Previously, we have reported twenty two sequence variants discovered in Korean native cattle (Hanwoo). In this study, we examined the association between gene-specific polymorphisms of IGFBP3 and cold carcass weight (CW) and marbling score (MS) among Korean native cattle. Among twenty two polymorphisms, four common polymorphic sites (-854G>C, -100G>A, +421G>T and +3863C>A) were genotyped in our beef cattle (n = 437). Statistical analysis revealed that one common polymorphism in the promoter region (-854G>C) showed putative associations with MS (p = 0.03). IGFBP3 variation/haplotype information analyzed in this study will provide valuable information into strategies for the production of a commercial line of beef cattle.
IGFBP3;Cold Carcass Weight;Marbling Score;Polymorphism
Supported by : Agriculture and Forestry, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry
- Hedrick, P. W. 1987. Gametic disequilibrium measures: Proceed with caution. Genet. 117:331-341.
- Giudice, L. C., E. M. Farrell, H. Pham and R. G. Rosenfeld. 1990. Identification of insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3) and IGFBP-2 in human follicular fluid. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 71:1330-1338. https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem-71-5-1330
- Gopinath, R., P. E. Walton and T. D. Etherton. 1989. An acidstable insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-binding protein from pig serum inhibits binding of IGF-I and IGF-II to vascular endothelial cells. J. Endocrinol. 120:231-236. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1200231
- De Mellow, J. S. and R. C. Baxter. 1988. Growth hormonedependent insulin-like growth factor (IGF) binding protein both inhibits and potentiates IGF-I-stimulated DNA synthesis in human skin fibroblasts. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 156:199-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-291X(88)80824-6
- Ernst, M. and G. A. Rodan. 1990. Increased activity of insulin-like growth factor (IGF) in osteoblastic cells in the presence of growth hormone (GH): Positive correlation with the presence of the GH-induced IGF-binding protein BP-3. Endocrinol. 127:807-814. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-127-2-807
- Cohick, W. S., M. A. McGuire, D. R. Clemmons and D. E. Bauman. 1992. Regulation of insulin-like growth factorbinding proteins in serum and lymph of lactating cows by somatotropin. Endocrinol. 130:1508-1514. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.130.3.1508
- Connor, E. E., S. M. Barao, A. S. Kimrey, A. B. Parlier, L. W. Douglass and G. E. Dahl. 2000. Predicting growth in angus bulls: The use of ghrh challenge, insulin-like growth factor-I, and insulin-like growth factor binding proteins. J. Anim. Sci. 78:2913-2918. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.78112913x
- Cohick, W. S. 1998. Role of the insulin-like growth factors and their binding proteins in lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 81:1769-1777. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)75746-7
- Clemmons, D. R. 1997. Insulin-like growth factor binding proteins and their role in controlling IGF actions. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 8:45-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6101(96)00053-6
- Zapf, J. 1995. Physiological role of the insulin-like growth factor binding proteins. Eur. J. Endocrinol. 132:645-654. https://doi.org/10.1530/eje.0.1320645
- Woodward, T. L., J. D. Turner, H. T. Hung and X. Zhao. 1996. Inhibition of cellular proliferation and modulation of insulinlike growth factor binding proteins by retinoids in a bovine mammary epithelial cell line. J. Cell Physiol. 167:488-499. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4652(199606)167:3<488::AID-JCP13>3.0.CO;2-0
- Yee, D. 2002. The insulin-like growth factor system as a treatment target in breast cancer. Semin. Oncol. 29:86-95.
- Valentinis, B., A. Bhala, T. DeAngelis, R. Baserga and P. Cohen. 1995. The human insulin-like growth factor (IGF) binding protein-3 inhibits the growth of fibroblasts with a targeted disruption of the IGF-I receptor gene. Mol. Endocrinol. 9:361- 367. https://doi.org/10.1210/me.9.3.361
- Vreeland, W. N., R. J. Meagher and A. E. Barron. 2002. Multiplexed, high-throughput genotyping by single-base extension and end-labeled free-solution electrophoresis. Anal. Chem. 74:4328-4333. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac0258094
- Skaar, T. C. and C. R. Baumrucker. 1993. Regulation of insulinlike growth factor binding protein secretion by a murine mammary epithelial cell line. Exp. Cell Res. 209:183-188. https://doi.org/10.1006/excr.1993.1300
- Stephens, M., N. J. Smith and P. Donnelly. 2001. A new statistical method for haplotype reconstruction from population data. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 68:978-989. https://doi.org/10.1086/319501
- Porcu, P., X. Grana, S. Li, J. Swantek, A. De Luca, A. Giordano and R. Baserga. 1994. An e2f binding sequence negatively regulates the response of the insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGFI) promoter to simian virus 40t antigen and to serum. Oncogene 9:2125-2134.
- Shimasaki, S. and N. Ling. 1991. Identification and molecular characterization of insulin-like growth factor binding proteins (IGFBP-1, -2, -3, -4, -5 and -6). Prog. Growth Factor Res. 3: 243-266. https://doi.org/10.1016/0955-2235(91)90003-M
- Pesole, G., F. Mignone, C. Gissi, G. Grillo, F. Licciulli and S. Liuni. 2001. Structural and functional features of eukaryotic mrna untranslated regions. Gene 276:73-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-1119(01)00674-6
- Marcelli, M., S. J. Haidacher, S. R. Plymate and R. S. Birnbaum. 1995. Altered growth and insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 production in pc3 prostate carcinoma cells stably transfected with a constitutively active androgen receptor complementary deoxyribonucleic acid. Endocrinol. 136:1040-1048. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.136.3.1040
- McCann, J. P., S. C. Loo, D. L. Aalseth and T. Abribat. 1997. Differential effects of GH stimulation on fasting and prandial metabolism and plasma IGFs and IGF-binding proteins in lean and obese sheep. J. Endocrinol. 154:329-346. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1540329
- Li, S. and R. Baserga. 1996. Epidermal growth factor and plateletderived growth factor regulate the activity of the insulin-like growth factor I gene promoter. Exp. Gerontol. 31:195-206. https://doi.org/10.1016/0531-5565(95)02011-X
- Kim, J. Y., D. H. Yoon, B. L. Park, L. H. Kim, K. J. Na, J. G. Choi, C. Y. Cho, H. K. Lee, E. R. Chung, B. C. Sang, I. J. Cheong, S. J. Oh and H. D. Shin. 2004. Identification of novel snps in bovine insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 (IGFBP3) gene. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:3-7. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.3
- Baumrucker, C. R., C. A. Gibson and F. L. Schanbacher. 2003. Bovine lactoferrin binds to insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3. Domest Anim. Endocrinol. 24:287-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0739-7240(03)00014-6
- Baxter, R. C. 2001. Signalling pathways involved in antiproliferative effects of IGFBP-3: A review. Mol. Pathol. 54:145-148. https://doi.org/10.1136/mp.54.3.145
- Campbell, P. G., T. C. Skaar, J. R. Vega and C. R. Baumrucker. 1991. Secretion of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) and IGF-binding proteins from bovine mammary tissue in vitro. J. Endocrinol. 128:219-228. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1280219
- APGS. 1995. Report of business for animal products grading. Animal products grading system, national livestock cooperatives federation, korea.
- Assy, N., Z. Hochberg, T. Amit, Z. Shen-Orr, R. Enat and Y. Baruch. 1997. Growth hormone-stimulated insulin-like growth factor (IGF) I and IGF-binding protein-3 in liver cirrhosis. J. Hepatol. 27:796-802. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-8278(97)80315-7
- Baumrucker, C. R., W. M. Campana, C. A. Gibson and D. E. Kerr. 1993. Insulin-like growth factors (IGF) and IGF binding proteins in milk; sources and functions. Endocr. Regul. 27:157-172.
- Clutter, A. C., L. J. Spicer, M. D. Woltmann, R. W. Grimes, J. M. Hammond and D. S. Buchanan. 1995. Plasma growth hormone, insulin-like growth factor I, and insulin-like growth factor binding proteins in pigs with divergent genetic merit for postweaning average daily gain. J. Anim. Sci. 73:1776-1783. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.7361776x
- Heinemeyer, T., E. Wingender, I. Reuter, H. Hermjakob, A. E. Kel, O. V. Kel, E. V. Ignatieva, E. A. Ananko, O. A. Podkolodnaya, F. A. Kolpakov, N. L. Podkolodny and N. A. Kolchanov. 1998. Databases on transcriptional regulation: Transfac, trrd and compel. Nucleic Acids Res. 26:362-367. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/26.1.362
- Jones, J. I. and D. R. Clemmons. 1995. Insulin-like growth factors and their binding proteins: Biological actions. Endocr. Rev. 16:3-34.
- A Multi-Trait, Meta-analysis for Detecting Pleiotropic Polymorphisms for Stature, Fatness and Reproduction in Beef Cattle vol.10, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pgen.1004198