- Volume 21 Issue 2
The need for refining dietary nutrient levels and limited information regarding Holstein steer and phosphorus supplementation led to the objective of examining the response of removing supplemental dietary phosphorus from a corn-based finishing diet offered to yearling Holstein steers. Two groups of yearling Holstein steers were utilized to study responses of increasing dietary phosphorus level during the finishing period. In Exp. 1, 96 Holstein steers (419 kg) were blocked into four weight groups. Dietary treatments included no additional phosphorus (NDC) or the inclusion of dicalcium phosphate (DCP) to achieve 0.30% phosphorus (P) in the complete diet. Daily gain, DMI and carcass traits were not different (p>0.05). Overall gain efficiency was slightly lower for NDC (p<0.05). Exp. 2 consisted of 78 Holstein steers (491 kg) blocked into two weight groups. Steers were harvested on d 84 and 112 d on test with carcass data collected following a 48-h chill. No differences (p>0.05) were detected for DMI, ADG, or gain efficiency. No differences (p>0.05) were detected in carcass characteristics in this experiment. Percent bone ash, calcium, P, and bending moment also did not differ among treatments (p>0.05). Removing supplemental phosphorus in the feedlot diet did not produce adverse effects on steer performance, carcass, or rib bone characteristics for yearling Holstein steers.
- Potash and Phosphorus Institute, PPI. 2001. Soil test levels in North America. Summary update. Tech. Bull. 2001-1. PPI/PPIC/FAR. Norcross, GA.
- Ricketts, R. E., J. R. Campbell, E. E. Weinman and M. E. Tumbleson. 1970. Effect of three calcium:phosphorus ratios on performance of growing Holstein steers. J. Dairy Sci. 53:898-891. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(70)86315-9
- Williams, S. N., L. A. Lawrence, L. R. McDowell, A. C. Warnick and N. S. Wilkinson. 1990. Dietary phosphorus concentrations related to breaking load and chemical bone properties in heifers. J. Dairy Sci. 73:1100-1106. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(90)78769-3
- Wise, M. B., A. L. Ordoveza and E. R. Barrick. 1963. Influence of variations in dietary calcium:phosphorus ratio on performance and blood constituents of calves. J. Nutr. 79:79-84. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/79.1.79
- Wu, Z., L. D. Satter, A. J. Blohowiak, R. H. Stauffacher and J. H. Wilson. 2001. Milk production, estimated phosphorus excretion, and bone characteristics of dairy cows fed different amounts of phosphorus for two or three years. J. Dairy Sci. 84:1738-1748. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(01)74609-7
- Erickson, G. E., T. J. Klopfenstein, C. T. Milton, D. Hanson and C. Calkins. 1999. Effect of dietary phosphorus on finishing steer performance, bone status, and carcass maturity. J. Anim. Sci. 77:2832-2836. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.77102832x
- Hoey, W. A., G. M. Murphy and R. J. W. Garner. 1982. Whole body composition of heifers in relation to phosphorus status with particular reference to the skeleton. J. Agric. Sci. Camb. 98:31-37. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600041071
- Judkins, M. B., J. D. Wallace and E. E. Parker. 1982. Rib bone phosphorus levels in range cows. Proc. Ann. Meet. Am. Soc. Anim. Sci. West. Sect. 33:9-11.
- Little, D. A. 1972. Bone biopsy in cattle and sheep for studies of phosphorus status. Aust. Vet. J. 48:668-670. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-0813.1972.tb09244.x
- National Research Council. 2000. Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle: Update 2000 of 7th rev. ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Bieghle, D. E., P. A. Boyazoglu, R. W. Hemken and P. A. Serumaga-Zake. 1994. Determination of calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium values in rib bones from clinically normal cattle. Am. J. Vet. Res. 55:85-89.
- Bortolussi, G., J. H. Ternouth and N. P. McMeniman. 1999. Phosphorus repletion of cattle previously exposed to dietary nitrogen and phosphorus deficiencies. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 50:93-99. https://doi.org/10.1071/A97059
- Crenshaw, T. D., E. R. Peo, Jr., A. J. Lewis and B. D. Moser. 1981. Bone strength as a trait for assessing mineralization in swine: A critical review of techniques involved. J. Anim. Sci. 53:827-835. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.533827x
- Erickson, G. E., T. J. Klopfenstein, C. T. Milton, D. Brink, M. W. Orth and K. M. Whittet. 2002. Phosphorus requirement of finishing feedlot calves. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1690-1695. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.8061690x
- Zinn, R. A., M. Machado, A. Plascencia, S. A. Rodriguez, N. Torrentera and R. A. Ware. 2002. Dietary phosphorus requiremetns of calf-fed Holstein steers during the early growing period. J. Anim. Sci. 80: Supp. 2.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : USDA CSREES HATCH