- Volume 17 Issue 1
A study on the enhancement of environmental durability of EPDM rubber materials for the aerator membrane was performed using a butyl rubber as a modifier. A conventional EPDM rubber formulation was evaluated as having about 26.0 wt% or more oil content from the chloroform immersion test. These oils would be gradually and continuously deleted from the aerator membrane when directly exposed to a waste-water or chemically corrosive fluids, making the membrane less flexible and the performance worse. To improve this, a butyl rubber (IIR) was utilized as the modifier for a low-ENB type of EPDM rubber formulation with low-oil content. The environmental durability of the IIR-modified EPDM rubber material was expected to be greatly enhanced compared to the conventional one. However, the mechanical and performance properties such as elongation, tensile strength, and air bubble size, etc. were still maintained as good as in the conventional one. Furthermore, TGA analysis of the IIR-modified EPDM material showed that there would be partially compatible between IIR and EPDM. It also showed that the initial degradation temperature of the IIR-modified EPDM could be somewhat increased, exhibiting the enhanced compatibility among the components and, thereby, more enhanced environmental durability.
Waste-water;Aerator membrane;EPDM;Environmental durability
- Eckenfelder W. W., Ford D. L., 1968, Concepts in Oxygen Transfer and Aeration, Advances in Water Quality Improvement, Univ. of Texas Press, Austin, Texas
- Mark H. F., 2003, Encyclopedia of Polymer Science and Technology, vol. 5, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 356- 381
- Easterbrook E. K., Allen R. D., 1987, Ethylene-Propylene Rubber in Rubber Technology, ed. by M. Morton, van Nostrand Reinhold Co. Inc., New York, 260-283
- Barnard J. L., Meiring P. G. Jr., 1988, Dissolved Oxygen Control in the Activated Sludge Process, Water Science Technology, 20, 100-108
- http//www.kumhopolychem. co. kr.
- Maure J. Jr., 1983, Elastomers in Thermal Characterization of Polymeric Materials, ed. by Turi E. A., Academic Press, New York, 572-708
- Davis S. C., Von Hellens W., Zahalka H. A., Richter K-P., 1996, Ethylene-Propylene Elastomers in Polymeric Materials Encyclopedia, ed. by Salamone J. C., CRC Press, vol. 3, New York, 2264-2278
- 제갈영순, 1999, EPDM 고무 및 그 응용, 고분자과학과 기술, 10(3), 325-334
- Easterbrook E. K., 1971, A Discussion of Some Polymerization Parameters in the Synthesis of EPDM Elastomers, XXII IUPAC Macromolecular Reprint, vol. 2, 712-714
- 안원술, 2007, Thermal Charaterization of an EPDM/ IIR Rubber Blend using TG/DTG Anylsis, Elastomer (Korea), 42(1), 55-58
- Eckenfelder W. W., Barnhart E. L., 1963, Designing for Oxygen Transfer, Wastes Engineering, 34, 80-86