- Volume 8 Issue 2
Most concurrency control protocols have been devised for resolving data conflicts among real-time transactions of a single type. Recent real-time database systems should support various types of real-time transactions due to needs of many different types of applications and steady improvement of hardware. In this paper, we propose integrated concurrency control protocol to resolve data conflicts among hard and soft real-time transactions. Our proposed protocol, based on PCP(Priority Ceiling Protocol) for a hard real-time transactions and MVPR(Multiversion with Precedence Relationship), guarantees that hard real-time transactions meet their deadline, and decreases the deadline miss ratio of soft real-time transactions. We also proved that the proposed protocol guarantees serializable schedules and no deadlocks. The performance of the proposed protocol has been compared with other real-time concurrency protocols.
Real-Time Database Systems;Concurrency Contorl;Priority;Deadline
- R. Abbott, "Scheduling real-time transactions: A performance evaluation," ACM Trans, on Database Systems, Vol.17, No.3, pp.513-560, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1145/132271.132276
- M. Singhal, "Issues and approaches to design real-time database systems," ACM, SIGMOD Record, Vol.17, No.1, pp.19-33, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1145/44203.44205
- S. H. Son, "Real-time database systems : A new challenge," Data Engineering, Vol.13, No.4, pp.51-57, 1990.
- J. R. Haritsa, M. J. Carey, and M. Linvy, "On being optimistic about real-time constraints," Prooceedings of the 1990, ACM PODS Symposium, pp.331-343, 1990.
- J. Lee and S. H. Son, "Using dynamic adjustment of serialization order for real-time database systems," Prooceedings of the 11th Real-Time Systems Symposium, pp.66-75, 1993.
- S. H. Hong and M. H. Kim, "Resolving data conflicts with multiple versions and precedence relationships in real-time databases," Information Processing Letters, Vol.61, No.3, pp.149-156, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-0190(96)00205-0
- L. Sha, R. Rajkumar, S. H. Son, and C. H. Chang, "A Real-time locking protocol," IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol.40, No.7, pp.793-800, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/12.83617
- K. Y. Lam, T. W. Kuo, and T. S. H. Lee, "Strategies for Resolving Inter-Class Data Conflicts in Mixed Real-time Database Systems," Journal of Systems and Software, Vol.61, pp.1-14, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0164-1212(01)00110-8
- K. Y. Lam, T. W. Kuo, W. H. Tsang, and G. C. K. Law, "The Reduced Ceiling Protocol for Concurrency Control in Real-time Databases with Mixed Transactions," The Computer Journal, Vol.43, No.1, pp.66-80, 2000.
- S. Thomas, S. Seshadri, and J. R. Haritsa, "Integrating Standard Transactions in Firm Real-Time Database Systems," Information Systems, Vol.21, No.1, pp.3-28, 1996.
- A. Bernstein, A. Philip, V. Hadzilacos, and N. Goodman, "Concurrency Control And Recovery In Database Systems," Addison-Wesley, 1987.