- Volume 8 Issue 2
This paper investigates chrominance reconstruction methods that reconstruct subsampled chrominance information efficiently using the correlation between luminance and chrominance components in the decompression process of compressed images, and analyzes drawbacks involved in the adaptive-weighted 2-dimensional linear interpolation among the methods, which shows higher efficiency in the view of computational complexity than other methods. To improve the drawback that the spatial frequency distribution is not considered for the decompressed image and to support the application on a low-performance system in behalf of 2-dimensional linear interpolation, this paper proposes the multi-mode reconstruction method which uses three reconstruction methods having different computational complexity from each other according to the degree of edge response of luminance component. The performance evaluation on a development platform for embedded systems showed that the proposed reconstruction method supports the similar level of image quality for decompressed images while reducing the overall computation time for chrominance reconstruction in comparison with the 2-dimensional linear interpolation.
- ISO/IEC IS 11172-2, Coding of moving pictures and associated audio, part 2: video.
- B. Schmitz and R. Stevenson, "The enhancement of images containing subsampled chrominance information," IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, Vol.6, pp.1052-1056, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/83.597281
- G. Qiu and G. Schaefer, "High quality enhancement of low resolution colour images," IEEE Int. Conference on Image Processing and Its Applications, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1049/cp:19990343
- B. Maciej, "Improved Interpolation of 4:2;0 Color Images to 4:4:4 Format Exploiting Inter-Component Correlation," 12th European Signal Processing Conference EUSIPCO, 2004.
- J. S. Abel, V. Bhaskaran, and H. J. Lee, "Colour image coding using an orthogonal decomposition," Image Proc. Algorithms and Techniques III, SPIE, Vol.1657, pp.58-67, 1992.
- X. Wan and J. C. Kuo, "Colour distribution analysis and quantization for image retrieval," Proc. of SPIE Conf. on Storage and Retrieval for Still Image and Video Databases, 1996.
- S. J. Sangwine and R. E. N. Horne, The Colour Image Processing Handbook, Chapman & Hall, London, 1998.
- G. Sonja, G. Mislav, and M. Marta, "Reliability of Objective Picture Quality Measures," J. of Electrical Engineering, Vol.55, No.1-2, pp.3-10, 2004.
- M. Miyahara, K. Kotani, and V. R. Algazi, "Objective Picture Quality Scale(PQS) for Image Coding," IEEE Trans. on Communications, 46 No.9, pp.1215-1226, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/26.718563
- Z. Wang, A. C. Bovik, H. R. Sheikh, and E. P. Simoncelli, "Image Quality Assessment: From Error Visibility to Structural Similarity," IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, Vol.13, No.4, pp.600-612, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2003.819861
- Wolberg, G., Digital Image Wraping, IEEE Computer Society Press, Loa Alamitos, CA, 1992.