- Volume 8 Issue 2
Corporate managers look at IT outsourcing as long-term strategic choices not as short-term tactical ones, and maximizing the effect that IT outsourcing brings about is the main concern to them. Emerging different types of IT outsourcing and their effects on the corporate business decisions necessitate the research on this subject. According to previous researches, the Intent for IT outsourcing is categorized as IS Improvement, Business Impact, and Commercial Exploitation. The decison factors for these IT outsourcing include corporate strategy types, IT role, and interaction between these two. Firm size and IT maturity are selected as moderating factors to add the credibility to the research of the effect of IT outsourcing decision making. Analyzing collected data revealed that corporate strategy rather than IT role is more significant factor affecting the intent for IT outsourcing decision. Defenders(as in corporate strategy types) tend to use IT outsourcing more as a means to improve information systems, compared to analyzers and reactors. Prospectors tend to use IT outsourcing more as a commercial exploitation, compared to analyzers and reactors. These outcomes prove that corporate strategy characteristics reflect outsourcing intent. There were previous researches that showed outsourcing decision depends on IT role, however the hypothesis was rejected that IT role determines outsourcing intent. It was also rejected that the interaction between corporate strategy types and IT role determines outsourcing intent. Corporate decision makers should first analyze corporate strategy, and reflect it on the outsourcing intent when they make IT outsourcing decisions. Only the precise defining of IT outsourcing intent will lower the risk and increase the possibility of success.
IT Outsourcing;Organization Strategy Types;IT Role;IT Maturity;Intent for IT Outsourcing
- 양병화, "다변량 자료분석의 이해와 활용", pp.197-263, 1998.
- S. Ang and D. W. Straub, "Production and Transaction Economics and IS Outsourcing: A Study of the U.S. Banking Industry," MIS Quarterly, Vol.22, No.4, pp.535-552, 1998(12). https://doi.org/10.2307/249554
- J. Barney, "Firm Resources and Sustained Competitive Advantage," Journal of Management, Vol.17, No.1, pp.99-120, 1991.
- Y. E. Chan, S. L. Huff, D. W. Barclay, and D. G. Copeland, "Business Strategic Orientation, Information Systems Strategic Orientation, and Strategic Alignment," Information Systems Research, Vol.8, No.2, 1997(6).
- J. Cross, "IT Outsourcing: British Petroleum's Competitive Approach," Harvard Business Review, pp.94-102, 1995.
- S. Cullen, L. Willcocks, and P. Seddon, Information Technology Outsourcing Practices in Australia, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu, Melbourne, 2001.
- S. Cullen and L. Willcocks, Intelligent IT Outsourcing: Eight Building Blocks to Success, Butterworth-Heinemann, 2007.
- A. DiRomualdo and V. Gurbaxani, "Strategic Intent for IT Outsourcing," Sloan Management Review, Vol.39, pp.67-80, 1998.
- R. M. Grant, "Toward a Knowledge-based Theory of the Firm," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.17, pp.109-122, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199602)17:2<109::AID-SMJ796>3.0.CO;2-P
- V. Grover and J. T. C. Teng, "The Decision to Outsource Information System Function," Journal of Systems Management, pp.84-97, 1993(11).
- V. Grover, M. J. Cheon, and J. T. C. Teng, "A Descriptive Study on the Outsourcing of Information Systems Functions," Information Management, Vol.27, pp.33-44, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-7206(94)90100-7
- V. Grover, M. J. Cheon, and J. T. C. Teng, "The Effect of Service Quality and Partnership on the Outsourcing of Information Systems Functions," Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol.12, No.4, pp.89-116, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.1996.11518102
- G. Hamel, "Competition for Competence and Inter-partner Learning within International Strategic Alliances," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.12, pp.83-103, 1991.
- J. C. Henderson and N. Venkatraman, "Strategic Alignment: Leveraging Information Technology for Transforming Organizations," IBM Systems Journal, Vol.32, No.1, 1993.
- H. R. Johnston and S. R. Carrico, "Developing Capabilities to Use Information Strategically," MIS Quarterly, Vol.12, No.1, pp.37-50, 1988. https://doi.org/10.2307/248801
- T. Kern, M. Lacity, and L. Willcocks, Netsourcing: Renting Applications and Services Over a Network, FT/Prentice Hall, New York, 2002.
- B. Kogut and U. Zander, "Knowledge of the Firm, Combinative Capabilities, and the Replication of Technology," Organization Science, Vol.3, No.3, pp.383-397, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.3.3.383
- B. Kogut, "Joint Ventures: Theoretical and Empirical Perspectives," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.9, pp.319-322, 1998.
- M. C. Lacity and L. P. Willcocks, "An Empirical Investigation of Information Technology Sourcing Practices: Lessons From Experience," MIS Quarterly, Vol.22, No.3, pp.363-408, 1998. https://doi.org/10.2307/249670
- M. C. Lacity, L. P. Willcocks and D. F. Feeny, "The Value of Selective IT Sourcing," Sloan Management Review, pp.13-25, 1996.
- L. Loh and N. Venkatraman, "Determinants of Information Technology Outsourcing: A Cross-Sectional Analysis," Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol.9, No.1, pp.7-24, 1992.
- F. W. McFarlan and R. L. Nolan, "How to Manage an IT Outsourcing Alliance," Sloan Management Review, Vol.36, No.2, pp.34-47, 1995.
- R. E. Miles, C. Snow, A. Meyer, and H. Coleman, "Organizational Strategy, Structure, and Process," Academy of Management Review, Vol.3, No.3, pp.546-562, 1978.
- J. Mohr and R. Spekman, "Characteristics of Partnership Success: Partnership Attributes, Communication Behavior, and Conflict Resolution Techniques," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.15, pp.135-152, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250150205
- J. C. Nunnally, Psychometric Theory, 2nd edition, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1978.
- J. T. C. Teng, M. J. Cheon, and V. Grover, "Decisions to Outsource Information Systems Functions: Testing a Strategy-Theoretic Discrepancy Model," Decision Sciences, Vol.26, No.1, pp.75-103, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5915.1995.tb00838.x
- J. B. Quinn, "Strategic Outsourcing: Leveraging Knowledge Capabilities," Sloan Management Review, Vol.40, No.4, pp.9-21, 1999.
- N. Venkatraman, "Strategic Orientation of Business Enterprises: The Construct, Dimensionality and Measurement," Management Science, Vol.35, No.8, pp.942-962, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.35.8.942
- F. Ye and R. Agarwal, "Strategic Information Technology Partnerships in Outsourcing as a distinctive Source of Information Technology Value: A Social Capital Perspective," Twenty-Fourth International Conference on Information Systems, pp.304-315, 2003.
- Mediating Effect of Strategic Use of Information Systems in the Relationship of IT Competency and Organizational Performance vol.23, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5859/KAIS.2014.23.2.67