- Volume 8 Issue 3
General development basis of letter system is recognized by formative value in terms of its function and structure. principle of clustered writing is the most significant feature of Hangeul typography as considered that it is based on function and formativeness. Thus, not only by changes with its form but also by its characteristic syllable combination, space structure is made as consonants and vowels are combined in single letter, then the combination develop into word, sentence, paragraph to make second, third space structure character. This character has significant impact on readability that is core function of typography. With this property, space structure character is regarded as very important component of Hangeul typography. First, space structure character of Hangeul typography is reviewed by relating it to visual perception of gestalt psychology and compared square-framed letter and framed latter By applying square-framed letter and framed latter in same sentence, legibility and readability were studied. Researcher has found that space structure character of Hangeul typography has significant impact on its function, and in terms of future design, it is very critical not only for design but also for communication environment as space structure formativeness of Hangeul typography interact with communication that is basic concept.
- Kohler and Wolfgang, Gestalt Psychology : An Introduction to New Concept in Modern Psychology, New York, Liveright, 1970.
- Hayes and Ricky, Foundations of Psychology, U.K, Nelson & Son, 1996.
- Kendler, H. Howard, 이승복, 이현진, 김혜리, 김영란, Historical Foundation of Modern Psychology. USA: The Dorsey Press, 1987.
- 강연아, 한글 활자체의 커뮤니케이션효과에 관한 연구, 연세대학교 대학원 석사학위논문, 1999.
- Aron Gurwitsch, Studies in Phenomenology and Psychology, Northwestern Univ. Press, 1966.
- 민혜란, 한글 바탕체와 돋움체의 비교분석, 서울여자대학교 대학원 석사학위 논문, 1999.
- 최정호, 서체개발의 실제, 한글글자꼴 기본연구, 한국출판연구소, 1988.
- 고선, 글꼴 공모전 수상작을 중심으로 본 한글 디자인 경향 연구, 서울여자대학교 대학원 석사학위 논문, 2001.
- The Effect of Hangul Font on Reading Speed in the Computer Environment vol.32, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2013.32.5.449