- Volume 8 Issue 4
This paper analyzes cost tradeoffs between memory usage and computation for window-based operators in data stream environments. It identifies generic operator network constructs, and sets up a cost model for the estimation of the expected memory reduction and the computation overheads when window memory relocations are applied to each operator network construct. This cost model helps to identify the utility of window memory relocations. It also helps to apply window memory relocation to improve a query execution plan to save memory usage. The proposed approach contributes to expand the scope of query processing and optimization in data stream environments. It also provides a basis to develop a cost estimation model for the query optimization using window memory relocations.
Data Stream;Window Operator;Memory Relocation;Cost Model
- C. Aggarwal, Data Streams: Models and Algorithms (Advances in Database Systems), 2006.
- N. Chaudhry, K. Shaw, and M. Abdelguerfi, Stream Data Management (Advances in Database Systems), 2005.
- J. Kang, J. F. Naughton, and S. D. Viglas: "Evaluating Window Joins over Unbounded Streams," In Proc. of the International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), Bangalore, India, 2003(3). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICDE.2003.1260804
- B. Babcock, S. Badu, M. Datar, R. V. Motwani, and J. Widom, "Models and Issues in Data Stream Systems," In Proc. of the 2002 ACM Symp. on Principles of Database Systems (PODS), 2002(6). https://doi.org/10.1145/543613.543615
- R. Motwani, J. Widom, A. Arasu, B. Babcock, S. Babu, M. Datar, G. Manku, C. Olston, J. Rosenstein, and R. Varma., "Query Processing, Resource Management, and Approximation in a Data Stream Management System," In Proc. of the 2003 Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research (CIDR), 2003(1).
- A. Arasu, B. Babcock. S. Babu, M. Datar, K. Ito, I. Nishizawa, J. Rosenstein, and J. Widom. "STREAM: The Stanford Stream Data Manager," In Proc. of the ACM Intl Conf. on Management of Data (SIGMOD 2003), 2003(6).
- D. Abadi, D. Carney, U. Cetintemel, M. Cherniack, C. Convey, S. Lee, M. Stonebraker, N. Tatbul, and S. Zdonik. "Aurora: A New Model and Architecture for Data Stream Management," the VLDB Journal, Vol.12, No.2, 2003(8). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00778-003-0095-z
- D. Carney, U. Cetintemel, M. Cherniack, C. Convey, S. Lee, G. Seidman, M. Stonebraker, N. Tatbul and S. Zdonik. "Monitoring Streams: A New Class of Data Management Applications," In Proc. of the 28th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB'02), August 20-23, Hong Kong, China.
- S. Chandrasekaran, O. Cooper, A. Deshpande, M.Franklin, J.Hellerstein, W. Hong, S. Krishnamurthy, S. Madden, V. Raman, F. Reiss, and M. Shah, "TelegraphCQ: Continuous Dataflow Processing for an Uncertain World," In Proc. of the 2003 Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research (CIDR), 2003(1).