- Volume 8 Issue 6
Hyper text transfer protocol (HTTP) over transmission control protocol (TCP) is currently used to transfer objects in the Internet. Stream control transmission protocol (SCTP), an alternative to TCP, which allows for independent delivery among streams, and can thus reduce the mean response delay of web object. We present an analytical model to find the mean response delay for HTTP over SCTP, therefore, estimate the effectiveness of SCTP over TCP. Typical TCP delay models assume the wired environment. On the contrary, the proposed model in this paper assumes the multiple packet losses and wireless environment where fast retransmission is not possible due to small window. The estimated mean response time can be used the benchmark to meet quality of service (QoS) at end-user. We validate the accuracy of our model using experiments. It is shown that the differences between the results from model and those from experimental are very small below 6 % on average. We also find that the mean response delay for HTTP over SCTP is less than that for HTTP over TCP.
Wireless Internet;SCTP;Congestion Control;Response Time
- R. Stewart, Q. Xie, K. Morneault, C. Sharp, H. Schwarzbauer, T. Taylor, I. Rytina, M. Kalla, L. Zhang, and V. Paxson, "Stream Control Transmission Protocol," RFC 2960, 2000.
- S. Fu, M. Atiquzzaman, L. Ma, and Y. Lee, "Signaling Cost and Performance of SIGMA," Wireless Communication and Mobile Computing, Vol.5, No.7, pp.825-845, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/wcm.340
- J. Padhye, V. Firoiu, D. Towsley, and J. Kurose, "Modeling TCP Reno Performance: A Simple Model and its Empirical Validation," ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol.8, No.2, pp.133-145, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/90.842137
- N. Cardwell, S. Savage, and Y. Anderson, "Modeling TCP Latency," IEEE Infocom, Tel Aviv, Vol.3, pp.1742-1751, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/INFCOM.2000.832574
- Z. Jiong, Z. Shu-jing, and Qi-gang, "An Adapted Full Model for TCP Latency," Proceedings of IEEE TENCON '02, Beijing, Vol.2, pp.801-804, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TENCON.2002.1180242
- D. Oliveria and R. Braun, "A Dynamic Adative Acknowledgement Strategy for TCP over Multihop Wireless Networks," Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM '05, pp.1863-1874, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/INFCOM.2005.1498465
- R. Camarllo, R. Kantola, and R. Schulzrinne, "Evaluation of Transport Protocols for the Session Initiation Protocol," IEEE Network, Vol.17, No.5, pp.40-46, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/MNET.2003.1233916
- S. Ladha and P. Amer, "Improving Multiple File Transfer Using SCTP Multistreaming," University of Delaware, TR, 2003.
- Y. Lee, M. Atiquzzaman, and S. Sivagurunathan, "Mean Response Time Estimation for HTTP over SCTP in Wireless Environment," Proceedings of IEEE International conference on communications, pp.164-169, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICC.2006.254722
- J. Kurose and K. Ross, Computer Networking, Addison Wesley, 2006.