- Volume 8 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Essential Proteins in Protein-Protein Interaction Networks
단백질 상호작용 네트워크에서 필수 단백질의 견고성 분석
- Published : 2008.06.28
Protein interaction network contains a small number of highly connected protein, denoted hub and many destitutely connected proteins. Recently, several studies described that a hub protein is more likely to be essential than a non-hub protein. This phenomenon called as a centrality-lethality rule. This nile is widely credited to exhibit the importance of hub proteins in the complex network and the significance of network architecture as well. To confirm whether the rule is accurate, we Investigated all protein interaction DBs of yeast in the public sites such as Uetz, Ito, MIPS, DIP, SGB, and BioGRID. Interestingly, the protein network shows that the rule is correct in lower scale DBs (e.g., Uetz, Ito, and DIP) but is not correct in higher scale DBs (e.g., SGD and BioGRID). We are now analyzing the features of networks obtained from the SGD and BioGRD and comparing those of network from the DIP.
Protein-Protein Interaction Network;Essential Protein;Hub Protein
- E. Ravasz and A. L. Barabasi, "Hierarchical organization in complex networks," Phys. Rev. E, Vol.67, No.2, pp.026122-0261228, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.67.026122
- A. L. Barabasi and Z. N. Oltvai, "Network biology: understanding the cell's functional organization," Nat. Rev. Genet., Vol.5, No.2, pp.101-113, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrg1272
- N. N. Batada, L. D. Hurst, and M. Tyers. "Evolutionary and physiologucal important of hub proteins," Plos Comput. Biol., Vol.2, No.7, pp.e88, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pcbi.0020088
- H. Jeong, S. P. Mason, A. L. Barabasi , and Z. N. Oltvai. "Lethality and centrality in protein networks," Nature, Vol.411, No.6833, pp.41-42, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1038/35075138
- S. R. Proulx, S. Nuzhdin, and D. E. Promislow. "Direct selection on genetic robustness revealed in the yeast transcriptome," PLos ONE., Vol.2, No.9, pp.e911, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0000911
- H. Yu, D. Greenbaum, H. X. Lu, X. Zhu, and M. Gerstein, "Genomic analysis of essentiality within protein networks," TRENDS in Genomics, Vol.20, No.6, pp.227-231, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tig.2004.04.008
- P. Ross-Macdonald, P. S. Coelho, T. Roemer, G. S. Roeder, and M. Snyder, "Large-scale analysis of the yeast genome by transposon tagging and gene disruption," Nature, Vol.402, No.6759, pp.413-418, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1038/46558
- E. A. Winzeler, D. D. Shoemaker, A. Astromoff, H. Liang, M. Johnston, and R. W. Davis, "Functional characterization of the S. cerevisiae genome by gene deletion and parallel analysis," Science, Vol.285, No.5429, pp.901-906, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.285.5429.901
- X. He and J. Zhang. "Why Do Hubs Tend to Be Essential in Protein Networks?" Plos Genet, Vo.2, No.6, pp.0826-0834, 2006.
- R. Aragues, A. Sali, J. Bonet, M. A. Marti-Renom, and B. Oliva, "Characterization of protein hubs by inferring interacting motifs from protein interactions," PLoS Comput Biol., Vol.3, No.9, pp.1761-1771, 2007.
- P. Uetz, L. Giot, G. Caqney, T. A. Mansfield, R. S. Judson, S. Fields, and J. M. Rothberg, "A comprehensive analysis of protein-protein interactions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae," Nature, Vol.403, No.6770, pp.623-627, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1038/35001009
- T. Ito, T. Chiba, R. Ozawa, M. Yoshida, M. Hattori, and Y. Sakaki, "A comprehensive two-hybrid analysis to explore the yeast protein interactome," PNAS, Vol.98, No8. pp.4569-4574, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.061034498
- U. Gűldener, M. Műnsterkotter, M. Oesterheld, P. Paqel, A. Ruepp, H. W. Mewes, and V. Stűmpflen, "MPact: the MIPS protein interaction resorce on yeast," Nucleic Acids Research, Vol.34, No.1, pp.D436-D441, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gkj003
- L. Salwinski, C. S. Miller, A. J. Smith, F.K. Pettit, J. U. Bowie, and D. Eisenberg, "The Database of interacting proteins: 2004 update," Nucleic Acids Res, Vol.32, No.1, pp.D449-D451, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gkh086
- J. E. Hirschman, R. Balakrishnan, K. R. Christie, D. Botstein, and J. M. Cherry, "Genome Snapshot: a new resource at the Saccharomyces Genome Database (SGD) presenting an overview of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae genome," Nucleic Acids Res, Vol.34, No.1, pp.D442-445, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gkj117
- C. Stark, B. J. Breitkreutz, T. Reguly, L. Boucher, A. Breitkreutz, and M. Tyers, "BioGRID: a general repository for interaction datasets," Nucleic Acids Res., pp.34, No.1, pp.D535-D539, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gkj109
- J. W. Ryu, H. Y. Kim, T. H. Kang, J. S. Yoo, and J. S. Chung, "Prediction of unannotated proteins from a protein interaction network filtered by using localization and domains in yeast," J. Kor. Phys. Soc, Vol.51, No.5, pp.1805-1811, 2007. https://doi.org/10.3938/jkps.51.1805