- Volume 8 Issue 7
Criticality prediction models to identify most fault-prone modules in the system early in the software development process help in allocation of resources and foster software quality improvement. Many models for identifying fault-prone modules using design complexity metrics have been suggested, but most of them are training models that need training data set. Most organizations cannot use these models because very few organizations have their own training data. This paper builds a prediction model based on a well-known supervised learning model, error backpropagation neural net, using design metrics quantifying SDL system specifications. To solve the problem of other models, this model is trained by generated virtual training data set. Some simulation studies have been performed to investigate feasibility of this model, and the results show that suggested model can be an alternative for the organizations without real training data to predict their software qualities.
Classification Model;Software Quality;Virtual Training Data
- C. Ebert, "Fuzzy classification for software criticality analysis," Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.11, No.3, pp.323-342, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0957-4174(96)00048-6
- N. Ohlsson and H. Alberg, "Prediction Fault-Prone Software Modules in Telephone Switches," IEEE Trans. Software Eng., Vol.22, No.12, pp.886-894, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/32.553637
- T. M. Khosgoftaar and E. B. Allen, "Early Quality Prediction: A Case Study in Tele communications," IEEE Software, Vol.13, No.1, pp.65-71, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/52.476287
- J. Tian, A. Nguyen, C. Allen, and R. Appan, "Experience with identifying and characterizing problem-prone modules in telecommunication software systems," J. Systems Software, Vol.57, No.3, pp.207-215, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0164-1212(01)00011-5
- T. M. Khoshgoftaar and D. L. Lanning, "A Neural Network Approach for Early Detection of Program Modules Having High Risk in the Maintenance Phase," J. Systems Software, Vol.29, No.1, pp.85-91, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0164-1212(94)00130-F
- K. E. Emam, W. Melo, and J. C. Machado, "The prediction of faulty classes using object oriented design metrics," J. Systems Software, Vol.56, No.1, pp.63-75, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0164-1212(00)00086-8
- K. E. Emam, S. Benlarbi, N. Goel, and S. N. Rai, "Comparing case-based reasoning classifiers for predicting high risk software components," J. Systems Software, Vol.55, No.3, pp.301-320, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0164-1212(00)00079-0
- Y. Liu and T. M. Khoshgoftaar, "Genetic programming model for software quality classification," Proc. IEEE Int'l Symp. High Assurance Systems Engineering, pp.127-136, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/HASE.2001.966814
- H. Zuse, Software Complexity Measures and Methods, Walter de Gruyter, 1991.
- M. M. Thwin and T. S. Quah, "Application of neural networks for software quality prediction using object-oriented metrics," J. Systems Software, Vol.76, No.2, pp.147-156, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2004.05.001
- N. Fenton, "Software Measurement: A Necessary Scientific Basis," IEEE Trans. Software Eng., Vol.20, No.3, pp.199-206, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/32.268921
- W. M. Zage and D. M. Zage, "Evaluating Design Metrics on Large-Scale Software," IEEE Software, Vol.10, No.4, pp.75-81, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/52.219620
- W. W. Agresti and W. M. Evanco, "Projecting Software Defects From Analyzing Ada Designs," IEEE Trans. Software Eng., Vol.18, No.11, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/32.177368
- R. W. Selby and V. R. Basili, "Analyzing error prone system structure," IEEE Trans. Software Eng., Vol.17, No.2, pp.141-152, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/32.67595
- 홍의석, "훈련데이터집합을 사용하지 않는 소프트웨어 품질예측 모델," 정보처리학회논문지, 제10-D권, 제4호, pp.689-696, 2003.
- L. Fausett, Fundamentals of Neural Networks, Prentice-Hall International, 1994.
- T. M. Khoshgoftaar, N. Seliya and A. Herzberg, "Resource-oriented software quality classification models," J. Systems Software, Vol.76, No.2, pp.111-126, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2004.04.027