- Volume 8 Issue 7
Concurrency and synchronization problems are often caused by database applications concurrently accessing databases managed by DBMS. Most commercial DBMSs support isolation levels to resolve these problems. Verification of isolation levels are most important because consistency and integrity constraints of the database can be violated according to isolation levels of transactions that consists of database applications. We propose a test tool set to verify and reveal faulty settings of isolation levels and implement a prototype of the test tool set. The proposed tool set analyzes the SQL statements of ESQL/C programs, attaches the test codes to verify isolation levels, runs the test transactions and detects errors.
Transaction;Isolation Level;Software Test;SQL
- B. W. Boehm, Software Engineering Economics, Englewood Cliffs, N. J.:Prentice Hall, 1981.
- D. Chays, Y. Deng, P. Frankl, S. Dan, F. Vokolos, and E. Weyuker, "An AGENDA for Testing Relational Database Applications," Software Testing, Verification and Reliability, Vol.14, No.1, pp.17-44, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/stvr.286
- Y. Deng and D. Chays, "Testing Database Transactions with AGENDA," Proceedings of International Conference on Software Engineering, St. Louis, MI, pp.15-21, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1145/1062455.1062486
- Y. Deng, P. Frankl, and Z. Chen, "Testing Database Transaction Concurrency," Proceedings of the 18th IEEE Internatioanl Conference on Automated Software Engineering, Los Alamitos, CA, pp.184-193, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/ASE.2003.1240306
- B. Daou, R. Haraty, and N. Mansour, "Regression Testing of Database Applications," Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, Las Vegas, NV, pp.285-290, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1145/372202.372342
- F. Haftmann, D. Kossmann, and A. Kreutz, "Efficient Regression Tests for Database Applications," Proceedings of Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research, pp.95-106, 2005.
- ANSI X3.135-1992, American National Standard for Information Systems - Database Language - SQL, 1992(11).
- J. Melton and A. R. Simon, Understanding The New SQL:A Complete Guide, Morgan Kaufmann, 1993.
- H. Berenson, P. Bernstein, J. Gray, J. Melton, E. O'Nei,l and P. O'Neil, "A Critique of ANSI SQL Isolation Levels," Proceedings of ACM SIGMOD, San Jose, CA, pp.1-10, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1145/223784.223785