- Volume 8 Issue 9
In animation films, the movements of characters are exaggerated and comical. Traditional key-frame animation techniques allow to control exaggeration and comicality of characters at animators' wills. But, recently introduced motion capture techniques have limits on representing comicality and exaggeration although it is convenient to capture subjects' natural looks. This paper chooses two animations from key-frame and motion capture techniques and looks into comicality and exaggeration of characters by analyzing movements and motion of them Movements are classified as four fundamental motion elements - running, jump, gesture and walking - and are analyzed to compare the way of representation from two films. By studying similarity and differentiation of movements of two films, this paper discusses the advantages and disadvantages of key-frame and motion capture techniques in terms of exaggeration and comicality. Comparison of the character movements from two techniques shows that there are common differentiations of those movements.
- "Toy Story", Walt Disney Pictures, film, 1995.
- 김세훈, "한국 장편 애니메이션 영화의 활성화 방안 연구", 박사논문, 중앙대학교, 2006.
- P. Rick, Computer Animation-Algorithms and Techniques, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, San Fr-ansisco, 2002.
- "Ice age 2," 20th Century Fox, film, 2006.
- 이민기, 박성규, 박근표, 양선우, 이범렬, "모션캡쳐 기술동향", ETRI 전자통신동향분석, 제22권, 제4호, pp.35-42, 2007.
- B. Bobby, R. Chuck, R. Seth, and P. John, "The Process of Motion Capture: Dealing with the Data," Eurographics Animation Workshop, pp.3-18, 1997(9).
- B. Ronan, F. Pascal, H. Lorna, S. Marius, M. Jean-Sebastien, N. Luciana, and T. Daniel, "An Anatomic Human Body for Motion Capture," EMMSEC'98, Boedeaux, 1998(9).
- W. Paul, Understanding Animation, Routledge Press, Kentucky, 1998.
- "The Incredibles," Walt Disney Pictures, film, 2004.
- "Monster House," Sony Image Pictures, film, 2006.
- J. Jess, 육상경기 던지기, 대한미디어, 서울, 2000.
- "Tom & Jerry," Warner Bros, film, 1975.
- T. Frank and J. Ollie, "The Illusion of Life-Disney Animation," Abbeville Press, New York, 1981.
- L. John, "Principles of Traditional Animation Applied to 3D Computer Animation," SIGGRAPH, Computer Graphics, Vol.21, No.4, pp.35-44, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1145/37402.37407
- 이남국, 애니메이션의 모든 것-애니클로피디아(애니메이션 대백과사전), 형설출판사, p.507, 2006.
- 이제희, "모션캡쳐의 과거, 현재, 그리고 미래", 정보과학회지, 제21권, 제7호, pp.24-29, 2005.