- Volume 33 Issue 11
To evaluate the structural integrity of the nuclear seismic category penetration cooling water pump under the seismic service conditions the seismic analysis was performed in accordance with IEEE-STD-344 code. The finite element computer program, ANSYS, Version 10.0, is used to perform both a mode frequency analysis and an equivalent static seismic analysis of the pump assembly. The mode frequency analysis results show the fundamental natural frequency is greater than 33 Hz and does not exist in seismic range, thus justifying the use of the static analysis. The stresses resulted from various loadings and their combinations are within the allowable limits specified in the above mentioned IEEE code. The results of the seismic evaluation fully satisfied the structural acceptance criteria of the IEEE code. Accordingly the structural integrity on the pump assembly was proved.
Cut-off Frequency;Equivalent Stress;Modal Analysis;Seismic Analysis
- Chung, C. S., 2000, 'Seismic Evaluation for Strainer in the Primary Cooling System,' Journal of the Computational Structural Engineering Institute of Korea, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 295-304
- Lee, J. K., Kim, J. Y., Chung, P. J. and Chung, J. H., 1999, 'Seismic Qualification of the Air Conditioning Equipment for Nuclear Power Plant,' Journal of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp.535-543
- Jhung, M. J., 1998, 'Integrity Evaluation of Fuel Assembly for Earthquake,' Nuclear Engineering and Design, No. 185, pp. 97-108 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(98)00230-1
- IEEE-STD-344, 1987, 'Recommended Practice for Seismic Qualification of Class 1E Equipment for Nuclear Power Generating Station,'
- ANSYS User's Manual Ver. 10.0, 2005, ANSYS Inc
- Lee, J. K., Kim, J. Y. and Lee, H. N., 2002, 'Seismic Qualification of the Air Cleaning Units for Nuclear Power Plant Ulchin 5&6,' Trans. of the KSME (A), Vol. 26, No. 7, pp. 1376-1383 https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2002.26.7.1376
- Cho, J. R., Lee, H. W., Kim, M. J. and Ha, S. Y., 2003, 'Seismic Analysis of Horizontal-Type Multi-Stage Centrifugal Pump Using Finite Element Method,' Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineers, Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 790-796