- Volume 12 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of Lactobacillus pentosus-Fermented Artemisiae Argi Folium on Nitric Oxide Production of Macrophage impaired with Various Toxicants
유산균발효애엽이 독성물질들로 유발된 대식세포의 일산화질소생성 감소에 미치는 영향
- Park, Wan-Su (Dept. of Pathology, College of Oriental Medicine, Kyungwon University)
- Published : 2009.12.30
Objectives : The purpose of this study is to investigate the effect of Water Extract from Lactobacillus pentosus-fermented ARTEMISIAE ARGI FOLIUM (AFL) on nitric oxide production of mouse macrophage Raw 264.7 cells impaired by various toxicants such as gallic acid, EtOH, nicotine, acetaminophen, and acetaldehyde. Methods : ARTEMISIAE ARGI FOLIUM was fermented with Lactobacillus pentosus and extracted by water. Nitric oxide production of mouse macrophage Raw 264.7 cells was measured by Griess reagent assay. Examined concentrations of AFL were 10, 50, 100, 200, 400 ug/mL. Results : The results of the experiment are as below. 1. AFL at the concentration of 400 ug/mL significantly recovered nitric oxide production which was reduced by gallic acid (100 uM) in Raw 264.7 cells. 2. AFL at the concentration of 200, 400 ug/mL significantly recovered nitric oxide production which was reduced by EtOH (100 uM) in Raw 264.7 cells. 3. AFL at the concentration of 400 ug/mL significantly recovered nitric oxide production which was reduced by nicotine (1mM) in Raw 264.7 cells. 4. AFL at the concentration of 200, 400 ug/mL significantly recovered nitric oxide production which was reduced by acetaminophen(2 mM) in Raw 264.7 cells. 5. AFL at the concentration of 200, 400 ug/mL significantly recovered nitric oxide production which was reduced by acetaldehyde (200 uM) in Raw 264.7 cells. Conclusions : AFL could be supposed to have the immune-enhancing activity related with nitric oxide production of macrophage impaired by various toxicants.
- Editorial Committee for Collaborative Text of Oriental Medical College in the Whole Country. Bon-Cho-Hak (本草學). Seoul: A book concern of Young-Lim. 1991 : 405-407.
- Heo Jun (許浚). Dong-Ui-Bo-Gam(東醫寶鑑). Seoul: A book concern of You-Gang. 1994 : 2758.
- Zhang EN Qin (張恩勤). The Chinese Materia Medica in A Practical English-Chinese Library of TCM (中葯學). Shanghai: Publishing House of Shanghai College of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 1990 : 284.
- Oboh G, Oladunmoye MK. Biochemical changes in micro-fungi fermented cassava flour produced from low- and medium-cyanide variety of cassava tubers. Nutrition and Health 2007 ; 18 : 355367
- Lee D, Kim S, Cho J, Kim J. Microbial population dynamics and temperature changes during fermentation of kimjang kimchi. J Microbiol. 2008 ; 46(5) : 590-593 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12275-008-0156-5
- Nathan CF, Hibbs JB. 1991. Role of nitric oxide synthesis in macrophage antimicrobial activity. Curr Opin Immunol. 1991 ; 3 : 6570
- MacMicking J, Xie QW, Nathan C. Nitric oxide and macrophage function. Annu Rev Immunol. 1997 ; 15 : 323350. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.immunol.15.1.323
- Goldsby RA, Kindt TJ, Osborne BA, Kuby J. Immunology(5th ed.).NewYork: W.H.Freeman and Company. 2003 : 38-39.
- Kim MJ, Kim DH, Lee KW, Yoon DY, Surh YJ. Jaceosidin induces apoptosis in ras-transformed human breast epithelial cells through generation of reactive oxygen species. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007 ; 1095 : 483-495. https://doi.org/10.1196/annals.1397.052
- Jeong MA, Lee KW, Yoon DY, Lee HJ.Jaceosidin, a pharmacologically active flavone derived from Artemisia argyi, inhibits phorbolester-induced upregulation of COX-2 and MMP-9 by blocking phosphorylation of ERK-1 and -2 in cultured human mammary epithelial cells. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007 ; 1095 : 458-466. https://doi.org/10.1196/annals.1397.049
- Shoemaker M, Hamilton B, Dairkee SH, Cohen I, Campbell MJ. In vitro anticancer activity of twelve Chinese medicinal herbs. Phytother Res. 2005 ; 19(7) : 649-651. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.1702
- Lee HG, Yu KA, Oh WK, Baeg TW, Oh HC, Ahn JS, Jang WC, Kim JW, Lim JS, Choe YK, Yoon DY.Inhibitory effect of jaceosidin isolated from Artemisiaargyi on the function of E6 and E7 oncoproteins of HPV 16. J Ethnopharmacol. 2005 ; 98(3) : 339-343. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2005.01.054
- Mosmann T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods. 1983 ; 65 : 55-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1759(83)90303-4
- Ferrari M, Fornasiero MC, Isetta AM. MTT colorimetric assay for testing macrophage cytotoxic activity in vitro. J Immunol Methods. 1990 ; 131 : 165-172. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1759(90)90187-Z
- Oez S, Platzer E, Welte K. A quantitative colorimetric method to evaluate the functional state of human polymorphonuclear leukocytes. Blut. 1990 ; 60: 97-102. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01720515
- Gerlier D, Thomasset N. Use of MTT colorimetric assay to measure cell activation. J Immunol Methods. 1986 ; 94 : 57-63 https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1759(86)90215-2
- Weissman BA, Gross SS. Measurement of NO and NO synthase. Current Protocols in Neuroscience. 2001 ; 7 : 13
- Lv W, Sheng X, Chen T, Xu Q, Xie X. Jaceosidin induces apoptosis in human ovary cancer cells through mitochondrial pathway. J Biomed Biotechnol. 2008 ; 2008 : 394802
- Yin Y, Gong FY, Wu XX, Sun Y, Li YH, Chen T, Xu Q. Anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive effect of flavones isolated from Artemisia vestita. J Ethnopharmacol. 2008 ; 120(1) : 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2008.07.029
- Kim MJ, Han JM, Jin YY, Baek NI, Bang MH, Chung HG, Choi MS, Lee KT, Sok DE, Jeong TS. In vitro antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of Jaceosidin from Artemisia princeps Pampanini cv. Sajabal. Arch Pharm Res. 2008 ; 31(4) : 429-437 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12272-001-1175-8
- Lee SH, Bae EA, Park EK, Shin YW, Baek NI, Han EJ, Chung HG, Kim DH. Inhibitory effect of eupatilin and jaceosidin isolated from Artemisia princeps in IgE-induced hypersensitivity. Int Immunopharmacol. 2007 ; 7(13) : 1678-1684. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intimp.2007.08.028
- Lee SH, Kim HK, Seo JM, Kang HM, Kim JH, Son KH, Lee H, Kwon BM, Shin J, Seo Y. Arteminolides B, C, and D, new inhibitors of farnesyl protein transferase from Artemisia argyi. J Org Chem. 2002 ; 67(22) : 7670-7675. https://doi.org/10.1021/jo020299z
- Tan R, Jia Z. Eudesmanolides and Other Constituents from Artemisia argyi. Planta Med. 1992 ; 58(4) : 370-372. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2006-961488
- Park W. Effect of ARTEMISIAE ARGI FOLIUM Acupuncture Solution on Raw 264.7 Cells Treated by Toxicants. Journal of Meridian & Acupoint. 2008 ; 25(3) : 137-146.
- Park WS. Effect of Sacchromyces cerevisiae-Fermented Artemisiae Argi Folium on Nitricoxide Production of Macrophage Treated with Toxicants. Korean J. Oriental Physiology & Pathology. 2009 ; 23(4) : 883-887