- Volume 19 Issue 3
The Effects of Core Stability on Postural Control, Balance and Upper Motor Function in Patients with Stroke
CORE 안정성 훈련이 뇌졸중 환자의 자세조절, 균형 및 상지기능에 미치는 효과
- Lee, Byoung-Hee (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Sahm-Yook University) ;
- Kim, Seong-Yeol (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Sahm-Yook University) ;
- Lee, Jong-Soo (Dept. of Oriental Rehabilitation Medicine, College of Oriental Medicine, Kyung-Hee University)
- 이병희 (삼육대학교 물리치료학과) ;
- 김성렬 (삼육대학교 물리치료학과) ;
- 이종수 (경희대학교 한방재활의학과교실)
- Received : 2009.06.25
- Accepted : 2009.07.15
- Published : 2009.07.31
Objectives : The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effects of core stability training on postural control and balance of hemiplegia patients who are difficult to control posture due to stroke. Methods : Subjects of the study were consisted of 25 adult hemiplegia patients(experimental 12, control 13) who were receiving rehabilitation therapy in hospital. Its group had a core stability training program by a physical therapists for 40 minutes, five times a week for nine-week period. Measurements of postural assessment scale for stroke(PASS), berg balance scale(BBS) and manual function test(MFT) were evaluated at initial presentation(pretest) and after completion of the each therapy program(posttest). Independent t-test and paired t-test was utilized to detect the mean difference between the groups. Results : Firstly, the result of PASS showed that postural control was significantly increased after the completion of core stability training(p<.01). Secondly, the result of BBS showed that balance control was significantly increased after the completion of core stability training(p<.01) and general physical therapy(p<.01). Lastly, the result of MFT showed that upper extremity's motor function was significantly increased after the completion of core stability training(p<.001). Conclusions : This study showed that core stability training is an effective treatment strategy on postural control, balance and upper extremity's motor function.
- Akuthota V, Nadler SF. Core strengthening. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004;85(3 Suppl 1):S86-92.
- Carpes FP, Reinehr FB, Mota CB. Effects of a program for trunk strength and stability on pain, low back and pelvis kinematics, and body balance: a pilot study. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2008;12(1):22-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbmt.2007.05.001
- Merriam-Webste Dictionary Online. (2004). URL: http://www.m-w.com.
- Marshall PW, Murphy BA. Core stability exercises on and off a Swiss ball. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005;86(2):242-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2004.05.004
- 통계청. 2005년 사망 원인 통계결과. 2006.
- Wade DT, Wood VA, Hewer RL. Recovery after stroke--the first3 months. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1985;48(1):7-13. https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp.48.1.7
- Carr JH, Shepherd RB, Nordholm L, Lynne D. Investigation of a new motor assessment scale for stroke patients. Phys Ther. 1985;65(2):175-80. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/65.2.175
- 김미영. 뇌졸중 상지기능평가에 대한 고찰. 대한작업치료학회지. 1994;2:19-26.
- Arokoski JP, Valta T, Airaksinen O, Kankaanpaa M. Back and abdominal muscle function during stabilization exercises. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2001;82(8):1089-98. https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2001.23819
- Nichols DS, Miller L, Colby LA, Pease WS. Sitting balance: its relation to function in individuals with hemiparesis. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1996;77(9):865-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(96)90271-3
- Ashton-Miller JA, Yeh MW, Richardson JK, Galloway T. A cane reduces loss of balance in patients with peripheral neuropathy: results from a challenging unipedal balance test. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1996;77(5):446-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(96)90032-5
- Carmeli E, Bar-Chad S, Lotan M, Merrick J, Coleman R. Five clinical tests to assess balance following ball exercise and treadmill training in adult persons with intellectual disability. J Gerontol Med Sci. 2003;58A:767-72.
- Berg KO, Maki BE, Williams JI, Holliday PJ, Wood-Dauphinee SL. Clinical and laboratory measures of postural balance in anelderly population. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1992;73(11):1073-80.
- Magee DJ. Instability and stabilization. Theory and treatment. 2nd. Seminar Workbook. 1999.
- Benaim C, Perennou DA, Villy J, Rousseaux M, Pelissier JY. Validation of a standardized assessment of postural controlin stroke patients: the Postural Assessment Scale for Stroke Patients(PASS). Stroke. 1999;30(9):1862-8. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.30.9.1862
- Verheyden G, Vereeck L, Truijen S, Troch M, Herregodts I, Lafosse C, Nieuwboer A, De Weerdt W. Trunk performance after stroke and the relationship with balance, gait and functional ability. Clin Rehabil. 2006;20(5):451-8. https://doi.org/10.1191/0269215505cr955oa
- Hodges PW, Richardson CA. Contraction of the abdominal muscles associated with movement of the lower limb. Phys Ther. 1997;77(2):132-42. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/77.2.132
- Toulotte C, Fabre C, Dangremont B, Lensel G, Thevenon A. Effects of physical training on the physical capacity of frail, demented patients with a history of falling: a randomised controlled trial. Age Ageing. 2003;32(1):67-73. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/32.1.67
- Bobath B. Adult Hemiplegia Evaluation and Treatment. 3rd ed. London:Heinnemann. 1990;17-8.
- Massion J. Postural control system. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 1994;4(6):877-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/0959-4388(94)90137-6
- Hsieh CL, Sheu CF, Hsueh IP, Wang CH. Trunk control as an early predictor of comprehensive activities of daily living function in stroke patients. Stroke. 2002;33(11):2626-30. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000033930.05931.93
- Rangnarsdottir M. The concept of balance. Physiotherapy. 1996;82:368-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9406(05)66484-X
- 이택영, 오재근, 김혜영, 이규성, 김문희. 뇌졸중 환자의 환측 상지 기능이 건측 손의 기민성에 미치는 영향. 대한작업치료학회지. 1999;7(1):56-67.
- Paris SV. Mobilization of the spine. Phys Ther. 1979;59(8):988-95.
- 채경주, 이한석. 뇌졸중 상지기능평가의 정산인 표준치에 관한 연구. 대한작업치료학회지. 1997;5:52-7.
- Ikai T, Kamikubo T, Takehara I, Nishi M, Miyano S. Dynamic postural control in patients with hemiparesis. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2003;82(6):463-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002060-200306000-00010