- Volume 9 Issue 10
This paper describes research of image enhancement for detection of face area. Typical face recognition algorithms used fixed parameter filtering algorithms to optimize face images for the recognition process. A fixed filtering scheme introduces errors when applied to face images captured in various different environmental conditions. For acquiring face image of good quality from the image including complex background and illumination, we propose a method for image enhancement using the categories based on the image intensity values. When an image is acquired average values of image from sub-window are computed and then compared to training values that were computed during preprocessing. The category is selected and the most suitable image filter method is applied to the image. We used histogram equalization, and gamma correction filters with two different parameters, and then used the most suitable filter among those three. An increase in enrollment of filtered images was observed compared to enrollment rates of the original images.
Image Enhancement;Image Processing;Face Detection;Face Recognition
- R C. Gonzalez, and R E. Woods, "Digital Image Processing," 3rd edition, Prentice Hall, 2007
- N. Unaldi, P. Sankaran, V. K. Asari, and Z. Rabman, "Image enhancement for improving face detection under non-uniform lighting conditions," IClP 2008, pp,1332-1335, 2008 https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIP.2008.4712009
- S. Aly, A Sagheer, N. Tsuruta, and R. Taniguchi, "Face recognition across illumination," Artificial Life Robotics, Vol.12, No.1, pp.33-37, 2008 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10015-007-0437-9
- L. Tao, M. Seow, and V. K. Asari, "Nonlinear Image Enhancement to improve Face Detection in Complex Lighting Environment," International Journal of Computational Intelligence Research, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp.327-336, 2006
- N. Kela, A Rattani, and P. Gupta, "Illumination Invariant Elastic Bunch Graph Matching for Efficient Face Recognition," Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshop 2006 Conference, pp.42-42, 2006 https://doi.org/10.1109/CVPRW.2006.97
- L. Jin, S. Satoh, and M. Sakauchi," A novel adaptive image enhancement algorithm for face detection," Proceedings of the Pattern Recognition, 17th International Conference on Volume 4,Vol.4, pp.843 - 848, 2004 https://doi.org/10.1109/ICPR.2004.1333904
- T. Sim, and T. Kanade, "Combining Models and Exemplars for Face Recognition: An Illuminating Example," Proceedings of the CVPR 2001 Workshop on Models versus Exemplars in Computer Vision, 2001.
- Sequential pattern profiling based bio-detection for smart health service vol.18, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10586-014-0370-3