- Volume 9 Issue 10
What Michel Foucault has interpreted about Jeremy Bentham' Panopticon in the point of power relationship of ones's gaze is put in comparison with the characteristics shown in the modern media and mutual meanings are interpreted in the respect of a power relationship of modern gaze. Modern people communicating through media are placed in certain type of power relationship. This study analyzed the difference of it in the respect of the power of gaze in Panopticon and the consumption of information. Panopticon assumes single-network supervision, that is, one-way gaze. However, in modern media, interactive communication is possible based upon the development of information telecommunication technology. Therefore, this study aims to compare and study modern single-network supervision and multi-networks supervision based on information telecommunication technology. The development of various media such as internet, mobile phone and smart card has changed the single-network supervision system structured since modern times into the multi-network supervision system. 'Gaze-power' presented in the relationship to media enables us to discuss the problem of mutual receptiveness, the presence of various powers according to information structure and consumption power. In particular, the form provided by modern media has the complexity of mutual communication in the relationship of multi-networks, rather not assuming only one-way nature of single-network. Therefore, the approach of communication issue provided by modern media in the respect of multi-networks relationship was done by the power relationship of gaze in the respect of information communication. Gaze determines the power of watching. In addition, the visualization format aims at the power.
Panopticon;Supper-Panopticon;Power of a Point View;New Media
- 장승권, 디지털 권력, 삼성경제연구소, pp.29-31, 2007.
- 제러미 벤담, 신건수 옮김, 파놉티콘, 책세상, p.11, 2007.
- 홍성욱, 파놉티콘-정보사회 정보감옥, 책세상, p.23, 2008.
- 홍성욱, 파놉티콘-정보사회 정보감옥, 책세상, pp.22-23, 2008.
- 이진혁, 김현석, "푸코의 권력이론과 파놉티콘을 통한 '미니홈피'의 권력요소 분석", Vol,10, No.3, p.367, 2009.
- 장승권, 디지털 권력, 삼성경제연구소, pp29-31, 2007.
- 마크포스터, 김성기 옮김, 뉴미디어의 철학, 민음사, pp.176-177, 1994.
- 홍성욱, 파놉티콘-정보사회 정보감옥, 책세상 p.100. 2008.
- Mark Poster, "Database as Discours, or Electronic lnterpolations," in Paul Heelas ed., Detraditionanlization : Critical Reflections on Authority and Identity(Cam -bridge, Mass.: Blackwell, 1996), pp.277-293, 1996.
- 매일경제, 2009년 4월 14일
- 홍성욱, 파놉티콘-정보사회 정보감옥, 책세상, p.101, 2008.