- Volume 9 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Dynamic Crowd Simulation by Emotion-based Behavioral Control of Individuals
개체의 감정기반 행동제어를 통한 동적 군중 시뮬레이션
- Published : 2009.11.28
In virtual environments, such as computer game and animation, we need to enhance naturalness of crowd simulation. So, we propose a method to generate dynamically moving crowd patterns by applying emotional factors to the individual characters of a crowd in the determination of their behavior. The proposed method mimics human behavior and controls each character in a group to decide its own path according to its individual status. And it is able to generate various moving patterns as a result of letting the individuals go to another group depending upon their conditions. In this paper, some temperament and feeling factors are defined and determination rules for calculating the emotional status are also proposed. Moreover we use a fuzzy theory for accurate representation of the ambiguous expressions such as feeling bad, feeling good and so on. Our experiments show that the suggested method can simulate virtual crowd in more natural and diverse ways.
- C. W. Reynolds, "Flocks, Herds, and Schools: A Distributed Behavioral Model," Proceeding Computer Graphics (SIGGRAPH'87), Vol.21, No.4, pp.25- 34, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1145/37402.37406
- C. W. Reynolds, "Steering Behaviors For Autonomous Characters," GDC, pp.763-782, 1999.
- K. Perlin and A. Goldberg, "Improve: A system for scripting interactive actors in virtual worlds," ACM SIGGRAPH 96, pp.205-216, 1996
- D. Brogan and J. Hodgins, "Group Behaviors for Systems with Significant Dynamics," Autonomous Robots, Vol.4, pp.137-153, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008867321648
- D. Helbing, "A fluid-dynamic model for the movement of pedestrians," Complex Systems, pp.391-415, 2000.
- D. Carlson and J. Hodgins, "Simulation Levels of Detail for Real-Time Animation," Proceedings of the Conference on Graphics Interface, pp.1-8, 1997.
- J. Ahn and K. Won, Survey on Crowd Animation, Kaist Tech. memo 2003-4, 2003.
- C. Reynolds, "Interaction with Groups of Autonomous Characters," GDC, 2000.
- S. Musse, F. Garat, and D. Thalmann, "Guiding and interacting with virtual crowds," Eurographics Computer Animation and Simulation, pp.23-34, 1999.
- Tsai- Yen Li, Ying- Jiun Jeng, and Shih-I Chang, "Simulating Virtual Human Crowds with a Leader-Follower Model," Computer Animation, pp.93-102, 2001. Conference on Computer Animation. Proceeding, pp.93-102, 2001.
- S. Musse, Cbakski, Tcapin and D. Thalmann, "Crowd Modeling in Collaborative Vrtual Environments," ACM Virtual Reality Software and Technology, pp.115-123, 1998.
- S. Musse and D. Thalmann, "Hierarchical Model for Real Time Simulation of Virtual Human Crowds," IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics Vol.7, No.2, pp.152-164, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/2945.928167
- E. Schweiss, S. R. Musse, F. Garat, and D. Thalmann, "An Architecture to Guide Crowds Using a Rule-Based Behaviour System," Proceeding of Autonomous Agents, pp.334-335, 1999.
- E. Ahn, J. Kim, S. Han, and N. Kwak, "Emotion-Based Crowd Simulation Using Fuzzy Algorithm," AI2005: Advances in Artificial Intelligence, Springer, pp.330-338, 2005.