- Volume 9 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Improved Side Information Generation using Field Coding for Wyner-Ziv Codec
Wyner-Ziv 부호화기를 위한 필드 부호화 기반 개선된 보조정보 생성
- Published : 2009.11.28
Wyner-Ziv video coding is a new video compression paradigm based on distributed source coding theory of Slepian-Wolf and Wyner-Ziv. Wyner-Ziv coding enables light-encoder/heavy-decoder structure by shifting complex modules including motion estimation/compensation task to the decoder. Instead of performing the complicated motion estimation process in the encoder, the Wyner-Ziv decoder performs the motion estimation for the generation of side information in order to make the predicted signal of the Wyner-Ziv frame. The efficiency of side information generation deeply affects the overall coding performance, since the bit-rates of the Wyner-Ziv coding is directly dependent on side information. In this paper, an improved side information generation method using field coding is proposed. In the proposed method, top fields are coded with the existing SI generation method and bottom fields are coded with new SI generation method using the information of the top fields. Simulation results show that the proposed method improves the quality of the side information and rate-distortion performance compared to the conventional method.
Distributed Video Coding;Wyner-Ziv Coding;Side Information Generation
- J. D. Slepian and J. K. Wolf, "Noiseless coding of correlated information sources," IEEE Transactions on information Theory, Vol.IT-19, pp.471-480, 1973(7). https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.1973.1055037
- A. Wyner and J. Ziv, "The rate-distortion function for source coding with side information at the decoder," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 22, pp.1-10, 1976(7). https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.1976.1055508
- A. Aaron, E. Setton, and B. Girod, "Towards practical Wyner-Ziv coding of video," International Conference on Image Processing, ICIP 2003, Barcelona, Spain, 2003(9). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIP.2003.1247383
- S. Klomp, Y. Vatis, and J. Ostermann, "Side Information Interpolation with Sub-pel Motion Compensation for Wyner-Ziv Decoder," International Conference on Signal Processing and Multimedia Applications, SIGMAP 2006, Setubal, Portugal, 2006(8)
- S. Argyropoulos, N. Thomos, N. Boulgouris and M. Strintzis. "Adaptive Frame Interpolation for Wyner-Ziv Video Coding," Multimedia Signal Processing, MMSP 2007, Crete, Greece, 2007(10). https://doi.org/10.1109/MMSP.2007.4412842
- R. Puri and K. Ranichandran, "PRISM: A 'reversed' multimedia coding paradigm" International Conference on Image Processing, ICIP 2003, Barcelona, Spain, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIP.2003.1247037
- A. Aaron and B. Girod, "Wyner-Ziv Video Coding with Low Encoder Complexity," International Picture Coding Symposium, PCS 2004, San Francisco, CA, 2004(12).
- J. Ascenso and F. Pereira "Adaptive Hash-Based Side Information Exploitation for Efficient Wyner-Ziv Video Coding," International Conference on Image Processing, ICIP 2007, Vol.3, 2007(10). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIP.2007.4379238
- B. T. Choi, S. H. Lee, and S. J. Ko, "New frame rate up-conversion using bi-directional motion estimation," IEEE Transactions on Consum Electron, Vol.46, No.3, pp.603-609, 2000(8). https://doi.org/10.1109/30.883418
- D. Varodayan, A. Aaron, and B. Girod, "Rate-Adaptive Codes for Distributed Source Coding," EURASIP Signal Processing Journal, Special Section on Distributed Source Coding, Vol.86, No.11, 2003(11).
- D. Kubasov, K. Lajnef, and C. Guillemot, "A Hybrid Encoder/Decoder Rate Control for Wyner-Ziv Video Coding with a Feedback Channel," Multimedia Signal Processing, MMSP 2007, Crete, Greece, 2007(10). https://doi.org/10.1109/MMSP.2007.4412865
- J. Ascenso, C. Brites, and F. Pereira, "Improving Frame Interpolation with Spatial Motion Smoothing for Pixel Domain Distributed Video Coding," 5th EURASIP, Slovak Republic, 2005(7).
- C. Brites and F. Pereira, "Correlation noise modeling for efficient pixel and transform domain Wyner-Ziv video coding," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol.18, No.9, pp.1177-1190, 2008(9). https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2008.924107
- D. Kubasov, J. Nayak, and C. Guillemot, "Optimal Reconstruction in Wyner-Ziv Video Coding with Multiple Side Information," Multimedia Signal Processing, MMSP 2007, Crete, Greece, 2007(10). https://doi.org/10.1109/MMSP.2007.4412848