- Volume 9 Issue 11
Image resolution enhancement algorithm is a basic technique for image enlargement and restoration. The main problem is the image quality degradation such as blurring or blocking effects. In this paper, we propose loss information estimation and image resolution enhancement method using low level interpolation method. In the proposed method, loss information is computed by downsampling -interpolation process of obtained low resolution image. We estimate loss information of high resolution image using interpolation of the computed loss information. Lastly, we add up interpolated high resolution image and the estimated loss information which is applied a weight factor. Our experiments obtained the average PSNR 1.4dB which is improved results better than conventional algorithm. Also subjective image quality is more clearness and distinctness. The proposed method may be helpful for various video applications which required improvement of image.
Image Interpolation;Loss information Estimation;Resolution Enhancement;Low Level Interpolation
- H. F. Ates and M. T. Orchard, "Image Interpolation Using Wavelet-based Contour Estimation," in Proc, of IEEE Conf. on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Vol.3, pp.109-112, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICASSP.2003.1199119
- S. H. Hong, R. H. Park, S. J. Yang, and J. Y. Kim, "Image Interpolation Using Interpolative Classified Vector Quantization," Image Vis. Comput., Vol.26, No.2, pp.228-239, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.imavis.2007.05.002
- L. Zhang and X. Wu, "Image Interpolation via Directional Filtering and Data Fusion," IEEE Trans. Image Process., Vol.15, No.8, pp.2226-2238, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2006.877407
- D. D. Muresan and T. W. Parks, "Adaptively Quadratic (AQua) Image Interpolation," IEEE Trans. Image Process., Vol.13, No.5, pp.690-698, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2004.826097
- Y. Cha and S. Kim, "The Error-amended Sharp Edge (EASE) Scheme for Image Zooming," IEEE Trans. on Image Process., Vol.16, No.6, pp.1496-1505, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2007.896645
- Y. Altunbasak, A. J. Patti, and R. M. Mersereau, "Super-resolution Still and Video Reconstruction from MPEG-coded video," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst, Video Techol., Vol.12, No.4, pp.217-226, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/76.999200
- P. Thevenaz, T. Blu, and M. Unser, "Interpolation Revisited," IEEE Trans. Med. Imag., Vol.19, No.7, pp.739-758, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/42.875199
- Y. Bai and H. Zhuang, "On the Comparison of Bilinear, Cubic Spline, and Fuzzy Interpolation Techniques for Robotic Position Measurements," IEEE Trans. Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol.54, No.6, pp.2281-2288, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2005.858563
- W. K. Carey, D. B. Chung, and S. S. Hemami, "Regularity-preserving Image Interpolation," IEEE Trans. Image Process, Vol.8, No.9, pp.1293-1297, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/83.784441
- T. M. Lehmann, C. Gunner, and K. Spitzer, "Addendum: B-Spline Interpolation in Medical Image Processing," IEEE Trans. Medical Imaging, Vol.20, No.7, pp.600-665, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/42.932749
- Xin Li, "New Edge-Directed Interpolation," IEEE Trans. Image Process., Vol.10, No.10, pp.1521-1527, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/83.951537
- J. W. Hwang and H. S. Lee, "Adaptive Image Interpolation Based on Local Gradient Features," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol.11, No.3, pp.359-362, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/LSP.2003.821718
- S. C. Park, M. K. Park, and M. G. Kang, "Super-Resolution Image Reconstruction: A Technical Overview," Signal Processing Magazine IEEE, Vol.20, No.3, pp.21-36, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/MSP.2003.1203207
- W. Yu, "Colour Demosaicking Method Using Adaptive Cubic Convolution Interpolation with Sequential Averaging," IEE Proc.-Vis. Image Signal Process., Vol.153, No.5, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-vis:20050281
- A. Giachetti and N. Asuni, "Fast Artifacts-free Image Interpolation," In Proc. of the British Machine Vision Conf., pp.123-132, 2008.
- N. Asuni, "INEDI -- Tecnica Adattativa Per I'interpolazione di Immagini." Master's thesis, Universita degli Studi di Cagliari, 2007.
- O. Salvado, C. Hillenbrand, and D. Wilson. "Partial Volume Reduction by Interpolation with Reverse Diffusion," International Journal of Biomedical Imaging, Vol.2006, pp.1-13, 2006.