- Volume 9 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Radiation Dose Reducing Effect during the AEC System in the Chest and Abdomen of the MDCT Scanning
흉부 및 복부에서 AEC 적용에 따른 MDCT의 선량 감소 효과
- Published : 2009.03.28
The purpose of the current study was to compare radiation dose of 64MDCT performed with automatic exposure control (AEC) with manual selection fixed tube current. We evaluated the CT scans of phantom of the chest and abdomen using the fixed tube current and AEC technique. Objective image noise shown as the standard deviation of CT value in Hounsfield units was measured on the obtained images. Compared with fixed tube current, AEC resulted in reduction of the chest and abdomen in the CTDIvol (35.2%, 5.9%) and DLP (49.3%, 3.2%). Compared with manually selected fixed tube current, AEC resulted in reduced radiation dose at MDCT study of chest and abdomen.
AEC;Radiation dose;CTDI;Computed Tomography
- B. G. Yoo, D. C. Kweon, J. S. Lee, K. J. Jang, S. H. Jeon, and Y. S. Kim, "Comparison radiation dose of Z-axis automatic tube current modulation technique with fixed tube current multi-detector row CT scanning of lower extremity venography," J Radiat Prot, Vol.32, No.3, pp.123-133, 2007.
- M. K. Kalra, M. M. Maher, T. L. Toth, R. S. Kamath, E. F. Halpern, and S. Saini, "Comparison of Z-axis automatic tube current modulation technique with fixed tube current CT scanning of abdomen and pelvis," Radiology, Vol.232, No.2, pp.347-353, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2322031304
- V. Tsapaki, J. E. Aldrich, R. Sharma, M. A. Staniszewska, A. Krisanachinda, M. Rehani, A. Hufton, C. Triantopoulou, P. N. Maniatis, J. Papailiou, and M. Prokop, "Dose reduction in CT while maintaining diagnostic confidence: diagnostic reference levels at routine head, chest, and abdominal CT-IAEA-coordinated research project," Radiology, Vol.240, No.3, pp.828-834, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2403050993
- T. H. Mulkens, P.Bellinck, M. Baeyaert, D. Ghysen, X. Van Dijck, E. Mussen, C. Venstermans, and J. L. Termote, "Use of an automatic exposure control mechanism for dose optimization in multi-detector row CT examinations: clinical evaluation," Radiology, Vol.237, No.1, pp.213-233, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2363041220
- M. K. Kalra, M. M. Maher, T. L. Toth, "Strategies for CT radiation dose optimization," Radiology, Vol.230, pp.619-628, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2303021726
- M. K. Kalra, S. Rizzo, M. M. Maher, E. F. Halpen, T. L. Toth, J. A. Shepard, and S. L. Aquino, "Chest CT performed with Z-axis modulation: scanning protocol and radiation dose," Radiology, Vol.237, pp.303-308, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2371041227
- S. Namasivayam, M. K. Kalra, K. M. Pottala, S. M. Waldrop, and P. A. Hudgins, "Optimization of Z-axis automatic exposure control for multidetector row CT evaluation of neck and comparison with fixed tube current technique for image quality and radiation dose," AJNR Am J Neuroradiol, Vol.27, pp.2221-2225, 2006.
- M. K. Kalra, M. M. Maher, R. S. Kamath, T. Horiuchi, T. L. Toth, E. F. Halpern, and S. Saini, "Sixteen-detector row CT of abdomen and pelvis: study for optimization of Z-axis modulation technique performed in 153 patients," Radiology, Vol.233, No.1, pp.214-219, 2004.
- I. Mastora, M. Remy-Jardin, V. Delannoy, A. Duhamel, C. Scherf, C. Suess, and J. Remy, "Multi-detector row spiral CT angiography of the thoracic outlet: dose reduction with anatomically adapted online tube current modulation and preset dose savings," Radiology, Vol.230, No.1. pp.116-124, 2004.
- T. H. Mulkens, S. Daineffe, R. De Wijngaert, P. Bellinck, A. Leonard, G. Smet, and J. L. Termote, "Urinary stone disease: comparison of standard-dose and low-dose with 4D MDCT tube current modulation," AJR Am J Roentgenol, Vol.188, No.2. pp.553-562, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.05.1863
- C. H. McCollough, M.R. Bruesewitz, and J. M. Kofler Jr, "CT dose reduction and dose management tools: overview of available options," RadioGraphics, Vol.26, No.2, pp.503-512, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1148/rg.262055138
- C. Coursey, D. P. Frush, T. Yoshizumi, G. Toncheva, G. Nguyen, and S. B. Greenberg, "Pediatric chest MDCT using tube current modulation: effect on radiation dose with breast shielding," Am. J. Roentgenol, Vol.190, No.1, pp.W54-W61, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.07.2017
- Dose assessment according to Differences in the Content of Iodine in Contrast Media used in Interventional Procedure vol.14, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.03.337