- Volume 9 Issue 3
The glass ceiling is defined as a barrier so subtle that it is transparent, that it prevents women and minorities from moving up in the management hierarchy. Individuals in the minority may perceive the presence of a glass ceiling within their social context, a barrier put in to place by those in the advantaged majority. This study has testified pragmatically the influence of glass ceiling perceived by the female employees of travel agency on their work attitudes(organizational commitment, turnover intention). Data were collected by 202 full time female employees. The results of analysis is as follows: First, it is revealed that glass ceiling has no influence on turnover intention. Second, this study show that the higher glass ceiling is perceived by the female employees of travel agency, the more they have negative influence on their affective commitment. Contrary to our expectation, however, it is revealed that glass ceiling has no influence on continuance commitment. That is, glass ceiling have significant effects on affective commitment whereas the effects are not significant for continuance commitment. Third, affective commitment have significant effects on turnover intention. However, it is revealed that continuance commitment has no influence on turnover intention.
- A. C. David, M. H. Joan, O. Seth, and V. Reeve, "The Glass Ceiling Effect," Social Forces, Vol.80, No.2, pp.655-681, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1353/sof.2001.0091
- 이주희, 한영희, 성현정, 인 정, "공직의 유리천장: 여성공무원의 승진저해기제 및 제도의 이면효과", 한국여성학, 제23권, 제3호, pp.79-115, 2007.
- B. Bass and B. Avolio, "Shatter the Glass Ceiling : Women may make better managers," Human Resource Management, Vol.33, pp.549-560, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.3930330405
- E. M. Debra and K. F. Joyce, "A Modest Manofesto for Shattering the Glass Ceiling," Harvard Business Review, Vol.78, No.1, pp.127-136, 2000.
- 김재기, "여성공무원의 차별인식과 인사정책방향:관리직 여성공무원을 중심으로", 행정논총, 제44권, 제2호, pp.127-153, 2006.
- 이정명, "이제 성차별을 넘어 고활용으로", 뉴스위크, 3월호, pp.58-59, 2006.
- 이주희, "여성관리직 진출 기업의 특성". 한국사회학, 제37집, 5호, pp.107-130, 2003.
- L. V. Still, "Breaking the Glass Ceiling," Women in Management Review, Vol.7, No.5, pp.3-8, 1992.
- 홍미영, "여성공무원에 대한 유리천장 현상에 관한 연구: 성별 차이비교를 통한 시론적 분석", 한국사회와 행정연구, 제15권, 제3호, pp.329-363, 2004.
- D. J. Maume, "Glass Ceiling and Glass Escalators: Occupational Segregation and Race and Sex Difference in Managerial Promotions," Work and Occupation, Vol.26,No.4, pp.483-509, 1998.
- J. David and Jr. Maume, "The Glass Ceiling a Unique form of Inequality?: Evidence from a Random-Effects Model of Managerial Attainment," Work and Occupations, Vol.31, No.2, pp.250-274, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1177/0730888404263908
- B. A. Macy and P. H. Mirvis, "A methodology Assessment of Quality of Work Life and Organizational Effectiveness in Behavior- Economic Terms." Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.21, pp.212-226, 1976. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392043
- N. J. Allen and J. P. Meyer, "Organizational Socialization Tactics A Longitudinal Analysis of Links to Newcomers Commitment and Role Orientation," Academy Management Journal, Vol.33, No.4, pp.847-858, 1990. https://doi.org/10.2307/256294
- J. Singh, W. Verbeke, and G. K. Rhoads, "Do Organizational Practices Matter in Role Stress Processes? a Study of Direct and Moderating Effects for Marketing-Oriented Boundary Spanners," Journal of Marketing, Vol.60, No.3, pp.69-86, 1996. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251842
- S. Foley, The Effects of the Actual and Perceived Glass Ceiling Perceptions of Promotion Fairness, Doctoral Dissertation, University of Connecticut, 1998.
- 김성필, 이준엽, "항공사 종업원이 지각하는 '승진장벽'이 조직몰입, 직무만족 및 이직의도에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구", 관광연구, 제22권, 제3호, pp.65-87, 2007.
- J. P. Meyer and N. J. Allen, "A Three Component Conceptualization of Organizational Commitment," Human Resource Management Review, Vol.1, pp.61-89, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/1053-4822(91)90011-Z
- R. D. Hackett, P. Bycio, and P. A. Hausdorf, 'urther Assessment of Meyer and Allen's (1991)Three-Component Model of Organizational Commitment," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.79, pp.15-23, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.79.1.15
- 서철현, 이상돈, "관광호텔 여성종사원이 지각하는 승진장벽이 직무태도에 미치는 영향", 관광연구, 제21권, 제3호, pp.19-42, 2006.
- 장수덕, 장 영, "유리천장에 대한 지각이 조직몰입과 조직공정성에 미치는 영향", 경영연구, 제22권, 제3호, pp.23-45, 2007.
- H. L. Angle and J. L. Perry, "An Empirical Assessment of Organizational Commitment and Organizational Effectiveness," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.27, pp.1-14, 1981.
- T. W. Lee and R. T. Mowday, "oluntarily Leaving an Organization: An Empirical Investigation of Steers and Mowday's Model of Turn Over," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.30, pp.721-743, 1987. https://doi.org/10.2307/256157
- T. A. Judge, "Does Affective Disposition Moderate the Relationship Between Job Satisfaction and Voluntary Turnover," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.78, No.3, pp.395-401, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.78.3.395
- 장상태, "호텔레스토랑 지배인의 리더십이 조직몰입 및 이직의도에 미치는 영향", 관광정보연구, 제17호, pp.1-20, 2004.
- J. P. Meyer and N. J. Allen, "Testing the 'Side-Bet Theory' of Organizational Commitment: Some Methodological Considerations," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.69, pp.372-378, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.69.3.372
- J. P. Meyer and N. J. Allen, Commitment in the Workplace, CA: Sage Publications, 1997.
- S. Foley, D. I. Kidder, and G. N. Powell, "The Perceived Glass Ceiling and Justice Perceptions: An Investigation of Hispanic Law Associates," Journal of Management, Vol.28, No.4, pp.471-496, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0149-2063(02)00140-X