- Volume 9 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Open IPTV Platform using Overlay Multicast and Content Delivery Network
오버레이 멀티캐스트 및 콘텐츠 전달 네트워크를 적용한 개방형 IPTV 플랫폼
- Published : 2009.12.28
Recently, the importance of IPTV providing multimedia service over IP based networks managed to provide the required level of quality of service and experience, security, interactivity and reliability has been gradually increasing by the commercialization of its service. However, the original purposes of IPTV service - contents are produced and consumed anytime, anywhere, and over any device at the same time - have not been satisfied by service providers because most services offered by service providers depend on closed IPTV platform. In this paper, we propose an open IPTV service platform that an individual or small company can easily produce contents and offer IPTV service independently from the existing closed IPTV platform.. The proposed IPTV platform exploits overlay multicast scheme to offer reasonable service under the environment where network bandwidth and processor resource are limited. It also uses CDN-like scheme to ensure the quality of transmitted contents. The performance evaluation shows that the proposed IPTV platform has the possibility of being an open IPTV platform considering its results such as the quality of transmitted contents, the transmission rate, the channel zapping time, and so on. It also shows that proposed IPTV platform could be applied to real IPTV service with continuous enhancement of its functions and user interfaces.
IPTV;Overlay Multicast;Content Delivery Network
- S. Deering, Host Extensions for IP Multicasting, RFCl112, 1989.
- Yang-hua, Chu Sanjay G. Rao, and Huk Zhang, "A Case for End System Multicast," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol.20, No.3, pp.1456-1471, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSAC.2002.803066
- B, Zhang, S, Jamin, and L. Zhang, "Host multicast: a framework for delivering multicast to end users," in proceeding of IEEE INFOCOM, Vol.3, pp.1366-1375, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/INFCOM.2002.1019387
- M. Lautent, C. Roberto, and H. David, "An Overlay Tree Building Control Protocol," in Proceeding of International workshop on Networked Group Communications, Vol. 2233, pp.76-87, 2001.
- M. S. Kwon and F. Sonia, "Topology-Aware Overlay Multicast for Group Communications," in Proceeding of ACM NOSSDAV, pp.127-136, 2002.
- M. S. Kim, Yi Li, and Simon S. Lam, "Eliminating Bottlenecks in Overlay Multicast," in Proceedings of IFIP Networking, Vol.3462, pp.893-905, 2005.
- Rajkumar Buyya, Al-Mukaddim Khan Pathan, James Broberg, and Zahir Tari, "A Case of Peering of Content Delivery Networks," IEEE Distributed System Online, Vol.7, No.10, p.3, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/MDSO.2006.57
- Michal Szyrnaniak, Guillaume Pierre, and Maarten Van Steen, "Latency-driven replica placement," in IEEE symposium on Application and Internet, Trento, Italy, pp.399-405, 2005(1). https://doi.org/10.1109/SAINT.2005.37
- P. George Pallis and V. Athena, "Insight and Perspectives for CONTENT DELIVERY NETWORKS," Communications of the ACM, Vol.7, No.6, pp.68-74, 2006.