- Volume 9 Issue 12
The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of neuromuscular electrical stimulation(LFES) during hindlimb suspension on weight and function of rat hindlimb muscles. Sprague-Dawley rats(body weight 300-350g) were randomly assigned to five groups: a HLS(n=5) that were hindlimb suspended for 14 days, a WB(n=5) that kept as control, a ES14 that were hind limb suspended for 14days with pre-application of LFES for 14 days, ES11 that were hindlimb suspended for 14 days with pre-application of LFES for 11 days, a LFES 7 that were hindlimb suspended for 14 days with pre-application of LFES for 7 days. Gastrocnemius muscle weight, stride length were significantly decreased and toe out angle were significantly increased in HLS and ES7 groups, whereas muscle weight, stride length, toe out angle were maintained in ES14, ES11. this indicated that LFES for 14 days, LFES for 11 days could prevent muscle atrophy and retain function.
Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation;Muscle Atrophy;Muscle Function
- L. Jorgensen, N. J. Crabtree, J. Reeve and B. K. Jacobsen, "Ambulatory level and asymmetrical weight bearing after stroke affects bone loss in the upper and lowedr part of the femoral neck differently: bone adaptation after decreased mechanical loading," Bone, Vol.27, pp.701-707, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S8756-3282(00)00374-4
- N. Pace, "Weightlessness: a matter of gravity," New England Journal of Medicine, Vol.297, pp.32-37, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM197707072970106
- K. M. Baldwin and F. Haddad, "Skeletal Muscle Plasticity. Cellular and Molecular Responses to Altered Physical Activity Paradigms," Am J. Phys. Mecl. Rehabil., Vol.81, pp.40-51, 2000.
- F. R. Mulder, K. H. Genits, B. U. Kleine, J. Rittweger, D. Felsenberg, A. de Haan, and D. F. Stegeman, "High-density surface EMG study on the time course of central nervous and peripheral neuromuscular changes during 8 weeks of bed rest with or without resistive vibration exercise," J. Electromyogr. Kinesiol, Vol.19, No.2, pp.208-218, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2007.04.002
- R. L. Dunstan and C. H. Turner, "Mechanotransduction and the ftmctional response of bone to mechanical strain," Calcif. Tissue Int, Vol.57, No.5, pp.344-358, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00302070
- G. S. Lynch, J. D. Schertzer, and J. G. Ryall, "Therapeutic approaches for muscle wasting disorders," Pharmacology & Therapeutics, Vol.13, No.3, pp.461-487, 2007.
- D. Paddon-Jones, M. Sheffield-Moore, M. G. Cree, S. J. Hewlings, A. Aarsland, R. R. Wolfe and A. A. Ferrando, "Atrophy and impaired muscle protein synthesis during prolonged inactivity and stress," J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab., Vol.91, No.12, pp.4836-4841, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2006-0651
- H. Zemkova, J. Teisinger, R. R. Almon, R. Vejsada, P. Hnik, and F. Vyskocil, "Immobilization atrophy and membrane properties in rat skeletal muscle fibers," PfIugers Arch., Vol.416, No.1-2, pp.126-129, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00370233
- D. Roberts and D. J. Smith, "Biochemical aspects of peripheral muscle fatigue," Sports Med., Vol.7, pp.125-138, 1989. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-198907020-00004
- H. W. Meredith and R. D. Michael, "The neuromuscular junction: anatomical features and adapotation to various forms of increased, or decreased neuromuscular activity," Int. J. Neurosci., Vol. 115, No.6, pp.803-828, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207450590882172
- Y. Kano, S. Shimegi, H. Takahashi, K. Masuda, and S. Katsuta, "Changes in capillary luminal diameter in rat soleus muscle after hind-limb suspension," Acta. Physiol. Scand., Vol.169, pp.271-276, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-201x.2000.00743.x
- J. F. Desaphy, S. Piemo, A. Liantonio, A. De Luca, M. P. Didonna, A. Frigeri, G. P. Nicchia, M. Svelto, C. Camerino, A. Zallone, and D. C. Camerino, "Recovery of the soleus muscle after short- and long-term disuse induced by hindlimb unloading: effects on the electrical properties and myosin heavy chain profile," Neurobiol. Dis., Vol.18, No.2, pp.356-365, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nbd.2004.09.016
- 남기원, 신경근전기자극과 수중운동이 흰쥐 위축근 신경근엽접부의 연접재형성에 미치는 영향, 대구대학교 대학원 박사학위 논문, 2003.
- Y. Shimada, T. Sakuraba, T. Matsunaga, A. Misawa, M. Kawatani, and E. Itoi, "Effects of therapeutic magnetic stimulation on acute muscle atrophy in rats after hindlimb suspension", Biomed. Res., Vol.27, No.1, pp.23-27, 2006. https://doi.org/10.2220/biomedres.27.23
- C. D. Markert, M. A. Merrick, T. E. Kirby and S. T. Devor, "Nontherrna1 ultrasound and exercise in skeletal muscle regeneration," Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil., Vol.86, No.7, pp.1304-1310, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2004.12.037
- J. E. Hurst and R. H. Fitts, "Hindlimb unloading-induced muscle atrophy and loss of function: protective effect of isometric exercise," J. Appl. Physiol. Vol.95, pp.1405-1417, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.00516.2002
- G. A. S. Metz, M. E. Schwab, and H. Welzl, "The effects of acute and chronic stress on motor an dsensory perfonnance in male Lewisrats," Physiology & Behavior, Vol.72, pp.29-35, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9384(00)00371-1
- M. Dauty, V. B. Perrouin, Y. Maugars, C. Dubois and J. F. Mathe, "Supralesional and sublesional bone mineral density in spinal cord-injured patients," Bone, Vol.27, pp.305-300, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S8756-3282(00)00326-4
- V. Valderrabano,V., V. von Tschamer, B. M. Nigg, B. Hintermann, B. Goepfert, T. S. Fung, C. B. Frank and W. Herzog, "Lowerleg muscle atrophy in ankle osteoarthritis," J. Orthop. Res. Vol.24, No.12, pp.2159-2169, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1002/jor.20261
- Y. Kazunori and H. Kozaburo, "Changesin biomechanical properties of tendons and ligaments from joint disuse," Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, Vol.7, pp.122-129, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1053/joca.1998.0167
- B. J. Krawiec, R. A. Frost, T. C. Vary, L. S. Jefferson, and C. H. Lang, "Hindlimb casting decreases muscle mass In part by proteasome-dependent proteolysis but independent of protein synthesis," Am. J. Physiol Endocrinol Metab., Vol.289, No.6, pp.969-980, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpendo.00126.2005
- L. V. Thompson, S. A. Johnson, and J. A. Shoernan, "Single soleus muscle fiber function after hindlimb unweighting in adult and aged rats," J. Appl Physiol, Vol.84, pp.1937-1942. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1152/jappl.1922.214.171.1247
- V. Harjola, H. Jankala, and M. Harkonen, "Myosin heavy chain mRNA and protein distribution in inmobilized rat skeletal muscleare not affected by testoseronestatus," Acta. Physiol Scan., Vol.169, No.4, pp.277-282, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-201x.2000.00739.x
- M. Brown and R. Taylor, "Prehabilitation and rehabilitation for attenuating hindlimb unweighting effects on skeletal muscle and gait in adult and old rats," Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation, Vol.86, No.12, pp.2261-2269, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2005.06.020
- 김복조, 이성기, 김명기, "발목 강화 운동과 기능적 전기 자극치료가 뇌졸중 환자의 보행기능 및 균형능력에 미치는 영향", 한국사회체육학회지, VOL.31, No.2, pp.921-931, 2007.
- A. C. Dupont, F. J. Richmond, and G. E. Loeb, "Effects of muscle inmobilization at different lengths on tetrodotoxin-induced disuse atrophy," IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng., Vol.11, No.3, pp.209-217, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNSRE.2003.817675
- L. Qin, H. J. Appell, K. M. Chan, and N. Maffulli, "Electrical stimulation prevents inmobilization atrophy in skeletal muscle of rabbits," Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil., Vol.78, No.5, pp.512-517, 1999.
- T. Arakawa, S. Nonaka, A. Katada, H. Shigyo, M. Adachi, and Y. Harabuchi, "Prevention of Muscle Atrophy by Functional Electrical Stimulation," Otolaryngology, Vol.133, No.2, p.107, 2005.
- Z. Ashley, S. Sahnons, S. Boncompagni, F. Protasi, M. Russold, H. LanmulIer, W. Mayr, H. Sutherland, and J. C. Jarvis, "Effects of chronic electrical stimulationon long-term denervated muscles of the rabbit hindlimb," J. Muscle Res. Cell Motil., Vol.28, No.4-5, pp.203-207, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10974-007-9119-4