- Volume 9 Issue 12
In recent, the ships of the Republic of Korea have been suffered from acts of piracy at the seas. With the increase of the threats from the acts of piracy and armed robbery against ships, some of the countries have dispatched their navy warships to the international waters and to carry out military operation against the pirates. However, the total eradication of the piracy has not been achieved due to the lack of international cooperation and the limitation of the international maritime convention itself. In addition, the absence of counter-measures to be taken by the ships itself including the employment of the professional maritime security forces should not be overlooked. In this connection, this paper examined the reality of the piracy together with armed robberies at the seas and the problems in the response were also analyzed. Based on the research, it suggested some possible measures with special reference to the private security. The limitation of this paper is that it only focus on the aspect of the private security. In this paper, the cooperation among the countries according to the maritime convention and internationally accepted norms and practices. To achieve the goals of this paper, through the comparative review of the related literatures, the practical measures applicable to the prevention of the piracy were suggested.
Piracy;Armed Robbery at the Sea;International Maritime Convention;Private Security;Private Military Company
- 이서항, "해적문제의 국제정치; 소말리아 해적의 국제적 영향과 대응동향; 주요 국제문제분석", 외교안보 연구원, No.2009-10, p.16, 2009.
- 최석윤, "해상테러행위에 대한 형사법적 대응방안", 해사법연구, 제18권 제2호, p.29, 2006.
- 최석윤, 이윤철, 홍성화, 박정기, "해적행위에 대한 법적 책임과 대응방안", 한국항해항만학회지, 제29권 제1호, p.44, 2005. https://doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2005.29.1.043
- Z. Keyuan, "Enforcing the Law of Piracy in the South China Sea," Journal of Maritime Law and Commerce, Vol.21, No.1, January, p.364, 2000.
- IMB Piracy Reporting Centre, "Piracy and Armed Robbery against Ships," Report for the Period of 1 January-30 June, Kuala Lumpur, p.7, 1998.
- N. Bennett Howard, The Low of Marine Insurance, Oxford Clarendon Press, pp.153-154, 1996.
- M. Halberstam, "Terrorism on the High Seas: The Achille Lauro. Piracy and the IMO Convention on Maritime Safety, American Journal of International Law, Vol,82, p.272, 1998.
- J. Abhyankar, "Piracy-A Growing Menace," Combating Piracy and Armed Robbery at Sea, Charting the Future in Asia Pacific Waters, Montien Riverside Hotel, Bangkok, 24-25, p.7, 2001(3).
- http://krdic.naver.com/detail.nhn?docid=13939700, (검색일: 6, 30, 2009)
- ICC International Maritime Bureau, "Piracy and Armed Robbery Against Ships: Annual Report," 1st January-31st, p.45, 2006(12).
- ICC International Maritime Bureau, "Piracy and Armed Robbery Against Ships: Annual Report", 1st January-31st, p.40, 2009(3).
- 국토해양부, "아덴만에서 국적선 피랍 사건 발생 전파", pp.4-5, 2009.
- International Chamber of Commerce, International Maritime Bureau, "Piracy and Armed Robbery against Ships Annual Report," 2008.
- 전일수, 노영돈, "해적 방지를 위한 국제적 동향과 한국 관련법제의 개선방안", 해양물류연구, 제42호, p.76, 2004.
- 민꽃별, 이용희, "해적안전범죄에 대한 국제법상 규제강화방안에 관한 연구", 해양환경안전학회, 춘계학술발표회, pp.145-150, 2006.
- 김종선 역, "해적행위동향과 대응방안" 월간 海技, 10월호, pp.42-43, 2005.
- 김두현, "민간군사기업제도의 도입방안에 관한 연구", 한국경호경비학회, Vol.7, p.12. 2004.
- 김상진, "델파이기법을 이용한 민간군사경비업의 도입과 발전과제", 박사학위 논문, 경기대학교대학원, 2008.
- 中田 裕美子，"海上テロに対する実効的処罰の確保と国家管轄権の分配方式SUA条約に対してその改正案が及ぼす影響", 海洋政策研究, 巻号No.2, p.126, 2005.
- 鵜山 久, "改正SOLAS条約（海上テロ対策）について," 海上労働, Vol.56, p.65, 2004.