- Volume 9 Issue 12
This paper analyzes user preferences on the basic structure of digital textbook contents based on the PDF and HTML formats. This was conducted by analysing the data from an online survey on user preferences for the representative structures of the PDF- and HTML-based digital textbook contents that are currently used on the Web. Results show that in the PDF format, the structure with TOC(Table Of Contents) links on the left screen and the main content on the right was most preferred by 82% of the respondents. In terms of the viewing method, the one that presents one page of the textbook fitted to the width of the computer screen in a single-page view was regarded as the best. Similarly, in the HTML format, the structure with TOC links on the left frame and the main content on the right using 2-frames was revealed as the most preferred by 84% of the respondents. However, the structures of the PDF- and HTML-based digital textbook contents employed by most existing Web sites go against the users' preferences. Accordingly, for digital textbook development in the future, user preferences must be considered to allow students to read the contents more easily and conveniently.
Digital Textbook;Structure of Digital Textbook Content;PDF-Based Digital Textbook;HTML-Based Digital Textbook
- S. Jung and K. Lim, "Leading Future Education: Development of Digital Textbook in Korea," The 4th World Teachers' Day in Thailand and 12th UNESCO-APEID Internatioanl Conference: Quality Innovations for Teaching and Learning, March 2009, Bangkok, Thailand, 2009.
- 임광빈, "미래 교육과 디지털교과서", 교과서연구회지, 제51권, pp.6-12, 2007.
- 이석재, 유재수, 유관희, 변호승, 송재신, "XML 기반 전자교과서의 설계 및 구현", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제6권, 제6호, pp.74-87, 2003.
- 유관희, 유재수, 이석재, "디지털 교과서 표준화 현황", 정보과학회지, 제26권, 제6호, pp.53-61, 2008.
- M. R. Nelson, "E-Books in Higher Education: Nearing the End of the Era of Hype?.", EDUCAUSE Review, Vol.43, No.2, pp.40-56, 2008.
- D. W. Lewis, "How to Make Good Affordable Textbooks", IUPUI University Library Faculty Research, Open access publishing, Creative Commons license, pp.1-18, 2009.
- 변호승, 유관희, 유재수, 최정임, 박시현, "2005년 전자교과서 개발 표준안 연구", 한국교육학술정보원, 연구보고 CR 2005-22, 2005.
- 정의석, "디지털교과서 현황 및 발전 방향", 정보통신연구진흥원 주간기술동향 통권1347호, pp.14-22, 2008.
- 정의석, 정광훈, 송재신, "디지털교과서 플랫폼 개선 방안에 대한 연구", 정보과학회지, 제27권 제7호, pp.51-58, 2009.
- R. Jones, "E-Book to Replace Textbooks?", Converge, 2009(4).
- 변호승, 김남균, 조완영, 허혜자, 우원재, 송재신, "2005년 수학과 전자교과서 개발 방법론 연구", 한국교육학술정보원, 연구보고 CR 2005-23, 2005.
- 변호승, 조완영, 김남균, 류지헌, 이기서, 송재신, "2006년 전자교과서 효과성 측정 연구", 한국교육학술정보원, 연구보고 CR 2006-38, 2006.
- 한국교육인적자원부 (현, 교육과학기술부), "디지털교과서 상용화 추진방안", 2007.
- M. B. Farell, "Schwarzenegger's Push for Digital Textbooks," abc NEWS, 2009(6).
- M. Levine-Clark, "Electronic book usage: a survey at the University of Denver," Libraries and the Academy, Vol.6, No.3, pp.285-299, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1353/pla.2006.0041
- T. Davy, "E-Textbooks: Opportunities, Innovations, Distractions and Dilemmas," The Journal for the Serials Community, Vol.20, No.2, pp.98-102, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1629/2098
- T. P. Bailey, "Electronic book usage at a Master's Level I university: a longitudinal study," The Journal of Academic Librarianship, Vol.32, No.1, pp.52-59, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acalib.2005.10.004
- P. Just, "Electronic Books in the USA - their numbers and development and a comparison to Germany," Library Hi Tech, Vol.25, No.1, pp.157-164, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1108/07378830710735939
- Document Library: Industry Statistics, The International Digital Publishing Forum, 2009.
- M. Fernandez, "A usage comparison for print and electronic books at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill," Master's thesis, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, 2003.
- M. Langston, "The California State University E-Book Pilot Project: implications for cooperative collection development," Library Collections, Acquisitions, & Technical Services, Vol.27, No.1, pp.19-32, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1464-9055(02)00305-6
- E. Walton, "Faculty and Student Perceptions of Using E-books in a Small Academic Institution," ACRL 13th Annual Conference, Baltimore, MD, 2007(3).
- N. Allen, "Course Correction: How Digital Textbooks Are Off Track and How to Set Them Straight," the Student PIRGs, pp.1-21, Chicago, USA, 2008.
- 박기범, "사회과 디지털 교과서 개발 논리와 설계 전략", 사회과 교육 (Social Studies Education), 제46권, 제2호, pp.115-144, 2007.
- 박현아, "초등 디지털영어교과서 활용 실태 조사", 현대영어교육, 제9권, 제3호, pp.123-152, 2008.
- R. Wilson, M. Landoni, and G. Gibb, "Guildelines for Designing Electronic Books," Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, Vol.2458, pp.127-139, 2002.
- R. Wilson, M. Landoni and G. Gibb, "The WEB Book Experiments in Electronic Textbook Design Journal of Documentation, Vol.59, No.4, pp.454-477, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1108/00220410310485721
- Y. Rho and T. D. Gedeon, "Academic Articles on the Web: Reading Patterns and Formats," International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, Vol.12, No.2, pp.219-240, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327590IJHC1202_4
- Effects of Digital Textbook's Interactivity on the Learning Attitude : With a focus on the Tablet PC-based Digital Textbooks of Social Studies and Science vol.14, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.02.205