- Volume 5 Issue 4
Recently high-speed memory array based on RAM, which is a type of solid-state drive (SSD), has been introduced to handle the input/output (I/O) bottleneck. But there are only a few performance studies on RAM based SSD storage with regard to diverse workloads. In this paper, we focus on the file system for RAM based memory array based NGS (Next Generation Storage) system which is running on Linux operating system. Then we perform benchmark tests on practical file systems including Ext3, ReiserFS, XFS. The result shows XFS significantly outperforms other file systems in tests that represent the storage and data requests typically made by enterprise applications in many aspects. The experiment is used to design the dedicated file system for NGS system. The results presented here can help enterprises improve their performance significantly.
Benchmark;RAM based SSD storage;File system;Performance Evaluation
- Agrawal, N., W. J. Bolosky, et al. "A five-year study of file-system metadata," ACM Trans. on Storage, vol. 3, no. 9, 2007.
- Solid Data Systems, "Impact of Solid-state disk on high-transaction rate databases," Solid data systems, Inc. White paper, 2005.
- TMS, "Increase Application Performance with Solid State Disks", TMS white paper, 2008.
- Kleiman, Steven R. "Vnodes: Architecture for Multiple File System Types in Sun UNIX," Proc. the Summer 1986 USENIX Conference, Atlanta, 1986.
- Dominic Giampaolo, Practical File System Design with the Be File System, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 1999.
- Zhang Zhihui and Ghose Kanad, "yFS: A Joumaling File System Design for Handling Large Data Sets with Reduced Seeking," 2003, pp. 59-72.
- M. K. McKusick, W. N. Joy, S. J. Leffler, R. S. Fabry, "A Fast File System for UNIX," ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, vol. 2, 1984, pp. 181-197. https://doi.org/10.1145/989.990
- Ext3, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3
- Jeffrey Katcher, "PostMark: A New File System Benchmark," TR3022, Network Appliance Inc. Oct., 1997.
- A. Sweeney, "Scalability in the XFS File System," Proc. the Usenix 1996 Technical Conference, 1996, pp. 1-14.
- Namesys, ReiserFS, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReiserFS
- M. Patocka, Spadfs, http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/-mikulas/spad
- J. Katcher, "PostMark: A New File System Benchmark," Technical Report 3022, Network Appliance, 1997.
- A. Brown and M. Seltzer, "Operating System Benchmarking in the Wake of Lmbench: A Case Study of the Performance of Netbsd on the Intel X86 Architecture," Proc. 1997 ACM SIGMETRlCS Conf. Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems, June 1997, pp. 214-224.