- Volume 10 Issue 2
In the flight of air vehicles, accurate air data information is required to control them effectively. Especially, helicopters are often put in drastic motion involved with high angle of attacks in order to perform difficult missions. Among various sensors, the multi function probe (MFP) has been used in the present study mainly owing to its advantages in structural simplicity and capability of providing various information such as static and total pressure, speed, and pitch and yaw angles. In this study, a five-hole multi-function probe (FHMFP) is developed and its calibration is conducted using multiple regressions. In this work a calibration study on the FHMFP, an air data sensor for helicopters, is reported. It is shown that the pitch and yaw angles' accuracy of calibration is
five-hole multi-function probe(FHMFP);air data sensor;calibration;multiple regressions
- G.L. Morrison, M.T. Schobeiri, and K.R. Pappu, “Five-hole pressure probe analysis technique”, Flow Measurement and Instrumentation 9, 153-158, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0955-5986(98)00023-5
- S.K.S. Boetcher, E.M. Sparrow, "Limitations of the standard Bernoulli equation method for evaluating Pitot/impact tube data”, Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 50, pp. 782-788. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2006.01.044
- "FLUENT User’s Guide”, FLUENT Inc., 1998.
- S.W. Lee and T.J. Yoon, “Experiment investigation of flow parameters influencing the calibration of five-hole probes”, The Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol. 21, No.5, pp.637-649, 1997.
- R.H. Wickens and C.D. Williams, “Calibration and use of five-hole flow direction probes for low speed wind tunnel application”, National Research Council Canada, Aeronautical note, 1985.
- D.J. Kim, Y.S. Cheon, R.S. Myong, C.W. Park, T.H. Cho, Y.M. Park and I.H. Choi, “Design of pitot-tube configuration using CFD analysis and optimization techniques”, The Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers , Vol. 32, No.5, pp. 392-399, 2008. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-B.2008.32.5.392
- Gallington, G.G., “Measurement of very large flow angles with non-nulling sevenhole probes”, USAFA-TR-80-17, 1980.
- S.Y. Oh, S.K. Ahn and C.Y. Cho, “Calibration of a five-hole pressure probe using a single sector error interpolation model”, The Korean Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 34, No. 5, pp.30-38, 2006. https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2006.34.5.030
- Novel Approach for Angles Calibration of Air-Data Systems with Inertial Measurements vol.54, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2009.10.2.043