- Volume 10 Issue 2
A two-dimensional cross-section analysis program based on the finite element method has been developed for composite blades with arbitrary cross-section profiles and material distributions. The modulus weighted approach is used to take into account the non-homogeneous material characteristics of advanced blades. The CLPT (Classical Lamination Plate Theory) is applied to obtain the effective moduli of the composite laminate. The location of shear center for any given cross-sections are determined according to the Trefftz' definition while the torsion constants are obtained using the St. Venant torsion theory. A series of benchmark examples for beams with various cross-sections are illustrated to show the accuracy of the developed cross-section analysis program. The cross section cases include thin-walled C-channel, I-beam, single-cell box, NACA0012 airfoil, and KARI small-scale blades. Overall, a reasonable correlation is obtained in comparison with experiments or finite element analysis results.
cross-section analysis;finite element method;shear center
- MD Nastran R2.1, MSC Software Corporation, Santa Ana, CA, 2008.
- W. D. Pilkey, Analysis and Design of Elastic Beams, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2002.
- P. B. Arthur, Advanced Mechanics of Materials, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1993.
- MD Patran R2.1, MSC Software Corporation, Santa Ana, CA, 2008.
- R. Chandra, and I. Chopra, Structural Behavior of Two-Cell Composite Rotor Blades with Elastic Couplings, AIAA Journal, Vol. 30, No. 12, Dec. 1992, pp. 2914-2921. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.11637
- Study on Blade Property Measurement and Its Influence on Air/Structural Loads vol.53, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J053686
- Optimization of Composite Laminates Subjected to High Velocity Impact Using a Genetic Algorithm vol.11, pp.3, 2010, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2010.11.3.227
- Analytical Asymptotic Solutions for Rectangular Laminated Composite Plates vol.12, pp.2, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2011.12.2.200
- A Numerical Study of the High-Velocity Impact Response of a Composite Laminate Using LS-DYNA vol.11, pp.3, 2010, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2010.11.3.221