- Volume 10 Issue 1
There are concerns about the influence of the gust wind caused by helicopters affecting the moving vehicles while hovering over the road during rescue activities. For the understanding of such complicated flow. numerical simulation of a rotor hovering above the ground has been carried out, changing the rotor/ground clearances. The rotor thrust is kept constant. and the rotor control is determined by trim adjustments incorporated into the CFD algorithm. Collective pitch angle and the required power decreases with the rotor/ground clearance which agrees with experience. Changes of the flowfield near the rotor with regard to the rotor height are investigated based on the calculated results.
Helicopter;Downwash;Hover;Ground effect;CFD;Moving overlapped grids
- Tanabe, Y., Saito, S., Ooyama, N. and Hiraoka, K., Study of a Downwash Caused by a Hovering Rot or in Ground Effect, 34th European Rotorcraft Forum, Liverpool, UK, September 16-18, 2008.
- Raiaratnam N., Turbulent Jets, Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company, Amsterdam, 1976.
- Lee, T.E., Leishman, J.G. and Ramasamy, M., Fluid dynamics of interacting blade tip vortices with a ground plane, 64th Annual Forum of AHS, Montreal, Canada, April 29-May 1, 2008.
- Tana be, Y. and Sa ito, S., An integrated analysis code with CFD/rotor dynamics coupling developed in JAXA, AHS Specialists' Conference on Aeromechanics, San Francisco, CA, January 23-25, 2008.
- Shima, E., and Jounouchi, T., Role of CFD in aeronautical engineering (No.14) AUSM type upwind schemes-, NAL SP-34, 1999, pp.7-12.
- Jameson, A., Schmidt, W., and Turkel, E., Numerical solutions of the Euler equations by finite volume method using Runge-Kutta time stepping schemes, AIAA Paper 81-1259, 1981.
- Yee, H.C., and Harten, A., Implicit TVD sche mes for hyperbolic conservation laws in curvilinear coordinates, AIAA Journal, Vol. 25, No.2, February 1987, pp.266-274. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.9617
- Y.H. Yu, C. Tung, B. va n der Wall, H.-J. Pausder, C. Burley, T. Brooks, P. Beaumier, Y. Delrieux, E. Mercker, and K. Pengel, The HART-II test : rotor wakes and aeroacoustics with Higher-Harmon c pitch Control (HHC) inputs-the joint German/French/Dutch/US project-, AHS 58 th Annual Forum, Montreal, Canada, June 11-13, 2002.
- Cheeseman I.C. and Bennett W.E., The effect of the ground on a helicopter rotor, R&M 3021, ARC, 1955.
- Hayden J.S., The effect of the ground on helicopter hover power required, AHS 32nd Annual Forum, Washington, DC, May 1976.
- Iboshi N., Usuda H. and Itoga N., Ground effect of a hovering rotor over confined area, 45th Aircraft Symposium, Kitakyushu, Japan, October 10-12, 2007. (In Japanese).
- Phillips C. and Brwon R., Eulerian Simulation of the Fluid Dynamics of Helicopter Brownout, AHS 64th Annual Forum, Montreal, Canada, April 29-May 1, 2008.