- Volume 10 Issue 1
Many formation guidance laws have been proposed for VAV formation flight. Since most autonomous formation flight methods require various active communication links between the vehicles to know motion information of other vehicles, damage to the receiver or the transmitter and communication delay are critical problem to achieve a given formation flight mission. Therefore, in this point of view, the method that does not need an inter-vehicle communication is preferred in the autonomous formation flight. In this paper, we first summarize the formation guidance law without an inter-vehicle communication using feedback linearization and sliding mode control proposed in previous study. We also propose the modified formation guidance law with robust disturbance observer, which can provide significantly better performance than previously mentioned guidance law in case that other vehicles maneuver with large accelerations. The robust disturbance observer can estimate uncertainties generated by acceleration of leader vehicle. By eliminating the uncertainties using the estimated uncertainties, VAVs are able to achieve the tight formation flight. The performance of the proposed approach is validated by numerical simulations.
Formation guidance;Feedback linearization;Sliding mode control;Robust disturbance observer
- Das, A. K., Fierro, R. and Kumar, V. and Ostrowski, J. P. and Spletzer, J. and Taylor, C. J., 2002, "A Vision-Based Formation Control Framework", IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 813-825. https://doi.org/10.1109/TRA.2002.803463
- Tahk, M. J., Park, C. S. and Ryoo, C. K., 2005, "Line-of-Sight Guidance Laws for Formation Flight", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 708-716. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.9605
- Sattigeri, R., Calise, A. J. and Evers, J. H., 2003, "An Adaptive Approach to Vision-Based Formation Control", AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference and Exhibit, Austin, Texas, No. AIAA-2003-5727.
- Pollini, L., Giulietti, F. and Innocenti, M., 2001, "Sensorless Formation Flight", AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference and Exhibit, Montreal, No. AIAA-2001-4356.
- Shin, H. S., Hwang, T. W. and Tahk, M. J., 2006, "Formation Guidance Law without Inter-Vehicle Communication", Proceedings of the 5th Asian-Pacific Conference on Aerospace Technology and Science, Guilin, China.
- Levant, A., 2001, "Higher order sliding modes and arbitrary-order exact robust differentiation", Proceedings of the European Control Conference, Porto, Portugal, pp. 996-1001.
- Levant, A., 2003, "Higher-order sliding modes: differentiation and output-feedback control", International Journal of Control, Vol. 76, No. 9/10, pp. 924-941. https://doi.org/10.1080/0020717031000099029