- Volume 10 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Numerical Simulation of Unsteady Rotor Flow Using an Unstructured Overset Mesh Flow Solver
- Jung, Mun-Seung (Aerospace Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology(KAIST)) ;
- Kwon, Oh-Joon (Aerospace Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology(KAIST))
- Published : 2009.05.30
An unstructured overset mesh method has been developed for the simulation of unsteady flow fields around isolated rotors and rotor-fuselage configurations. The flow solver was parallelized for the efficient calculation of complicated flows requiring a large number of cells. A quasi-unsteady mesh adaptation technique was adopted to enhance the spatial accuracy of the solution and to better resolve the rotor wake. The method has been applied to calculate the flow fields around rotor-alone and rotor-fuselage configurations in forward flight. Validations were made by comparing the predicted results with those of measurements. It was demonstrated that the present method is efficient and robust for the prediction of unsteady time-accurate flow fields involving multiple bodies in relative motion.
- Chen, C. L., McCroskey, W. J., and Obayashi, S., “Numerical Solutions of Forward –rFlight Rotor Flow Using an Upwind Method”, Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 28, (6), 1991, pp. 374-380. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.46037
- Bangalore, A., and Sankar, L. N., “Forward-Flight Analysis of slated Rotors Using Navier-Stokes Methods”, Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 34, (1), 1997, pp. 80-86. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.2138
- Yang, Z., Sankar, L. N., Smith, M., and Bauchau, O., “Recent Improvement to a Hybrid Method for Rotors in Forward Flight”, AIAA paper 2000-0260, 2000.
- Zori, L. A. J., and Rajagopalan, R. G., “Navier-Stokes Calculations of Rotor-Airframe Interaction in Forward Flight”, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 42, (3), 1997, pp. 235-243. https://doi.org/10.4050/JAHS.42.235
- Lee, J. K., and Kwon, O. J., “Predicting Aerodynamic Rotor-Fuselage Interactions by Using Unstructured Meshes”, Transaction of the Japan Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 44, (146), 2002, pp. 208-216. https://doi.org/10.2322/tjsass.44.208
- Boyd, Jr., D. D., Barnwell, R. W., and Gorton, S. A., “A Computational Modelfor Rotor-Fuselage Interactional Aerodynamics”, AIAA paper2000-0256,2000.
- Strawn. R. C., and Djomehri, M. J., “Computational Modelling of Hovering Rotor and Wake Aerodynamics”, Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 39, (5), 2002, pp. 786-793. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.3024
- Stangl, R., and Wagner, S., “Euler Simulation of a Helicopter Configuration in Forward Flight using a Chimera Technique”, American Helicopter Society 52nd Annual Forum, Washington, D. C., 1996.
- Boniface, J. C., Gullien, Ph., Le pape, M. C., Darracq, D., and Beaumier, Ph., “Development of a Chimera Unsteady Method for the or the or timulation of Rotorcraft Flowfields”, AIAA paper 97-0123, 1997.
- Hariharan, N., and Sankar, L. N., “Unsteady Overset Simulation of Rotor-Airframe Interaction”, Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 40, (4), 2003, pp. 662-674. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.3170
- Strawn, R. C., and Barth, T. J., “A Finite-Volume Euler Solver for Computing Rotary-Wing Aerodynamics on Unstructured Meshes”, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, vol. 38, (2), 1993, pp.61-67. https://doi.org/10.4050/JAHS.38.61
- Dinder, M., Lemnois, A. Z., Shephard, M. S., and Flaherty, J. E., “An Adaptive Solution Procedure for Rotorcraft Aerodynamics”, AIAA paper 98-2417, 1998.
- Kang, H. J., and Kwon, O. J., “Unstructured Mesh Navier-Stokes Calculations of the Flowfield of a Helicopter in Hover”, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, vol. 47, (2), 2002, pp. 90-99. https://doi.org/10.4050/JAHS.47.90
- Park, Y. M., and Kwon, O. J., “Simulation of Unsteady Rotor Flow Fields Using Unstructured Sliding Meshes”, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 49, (4), 2004, pp. 391-400. https://doi.org/10.4050/JAHS.49.391
- Park, Y. M., Nam, H. J., and Kwon, O. J., “Simulation of Unsteady Rotor-Fuselage Interactions Using Unstructured Adaptive Meshes”, 59th Annual Forum of the American Helicopter Society, Phoenix, Arizona, May, 2003.
- Nakahashi, K., Togashi, F., and Sharov, D., “Intergrid-Boundary Definition Method for Overset Unstructured Grid Approach”, AIAA Journal, Vol. 38, No. 11, 2000, pp. 2077-2084. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.869
- Cross, J. F., and Tu, W., “Tabulation of Data from the Tip Aerodynamics and Acoustic Test”, NASA TM102280, Nov. 1990.
- Liou, S. G., Komerath, N. M., and McMahon, H. M., “Velocity Measurements of Airframe Effects on a Rotor in Low-Speed Forward Flight”, Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 26, (4), 1989, pp. 340-348. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.45766
- Brand, A. G., McMahon, H. M., and Liou, S. G., “Surface Pressure Measurements on a Body Subject to Vortex Wake Interaction”, AIAA Journal, Vol. 27, (5), 1989, pp. 569-574 https://doi.org/10.2514/3.10147
- Parallelization of an Unsteady ALE Solver with Deforming Mesh Using OpenACC vol.2017, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/4610138
- Unstructured Overset Mesh Adaptation with Turbulence Modeling for Unsteady Aerodynamic Interactions vol.51, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.2514/1.C032195
- Numerical investigation of prop-rotor and tail-wing aerodynamic interference for a tilt-rotor UAV configuration vol.28, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-014-0617-1
- Numerical simulation of the tip aerodynamics and acoustics test vol.25, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11630-016-0846-y
- Parallel multibody separation simulation using MPI and OpenMP with communication optimization pp.1748-3026, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/1748301818797062
- Parametric Study and Design of Tab Shape for Improving Aerodynamic Performance of Rotor Blade vol.19, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s42405-018-0023-5