- Volume 10 Issue 1
This paper deals with supersonic air-breathing missile system. A supersonic air-breathing missile system has very complicated and incoherent thrust characteristics with respect to outer and inner environment during operation. For this reason, the missile system has many maneuver constraints and is allowed to operate within narrow flight envelope. In this paper, trajectory optimization of the missile is accomplished. The trajectory optimization problem is formulated as a discrete parameter optimization problem. For this formulation, Legendre Pseudo-Spectral method is introduced. This method is based on calculating the state and control variables on Legendre-Gauss-Lobatto (LGL) points. This approach helps to find approximated derivative and integration quantities simply. It is shown that, for this trajectory optimization, trend analysis is performed from thrust characteristics on various conditions so that the trajectory optimization is accomplished with fine initial guess with these results.
Air-breathing missile system;Trajectory Optimization;Legendre Pseudo-Spectral Method
- Seymour C. Himmel, “Some Control Considerations for Ramjet Engines”, Lewis Flight Propulsion Laboratory Cleveland, Ohio, 1952.
- Warren J. North, “Summary of Free Flight Performance of A Series of Ramjet Engines at Mach Numbers from 0.8 to 2.2”, National Advisory Committee of Aeronautics, 1954.
- Jonathan S. Litt and Donald L. Simon, et al “A Survey of Intelligent Control and Health Management Technologies for Aircraft Propulsion System”, NASA/TM-2005-213622, 2005.
- Dimitri Papamoschou, “Engine Cycle and Exhaust Configuration for Quiet Supersonic Propulsion”, Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 20, No. 2, 2004.
- G. Raja Singh Thangadurai, B. S. Subhash Chandran, V. Babu and T. Sundararajan, “Numerical Investigation of the Intake Flow Characteristics for a Ramjet Engine with and without Heat Addition in the Combustion Chamber.” Defence Science Journal, Vol. 54, No. 1, pp.3-16, 2004. https://doi.org/10.14429/dsj.54.2016
- M.J. Tahk and B.C.Sun, “Co-evolutionary augmented Lagrangian methods for constrained optimization”, IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Vol.4, No.2, pp. 114-124, July, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/4235.850652
- Qi Gong, Fariba Fahroo and I. Michael Ross, “Spectral Algorithm for Pseudospectral Method in Optimal Control”, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp.460-471, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.32908
- Q. Gong, W. Kang and I. M. Ross, “A Pseudospectral Method for The Optimal Control of Constrained Feedback Linearizable Systems”, IEEE Trans. Auto. Cont., Vol.51, No.7, July, pp. 1115-1129, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.2006.878570
- J. S. Hesthaven, S. Gottlieb and D. Gottlieb, “Spectral methods for time-dependent problems”, Cambridge University Press, 2007. ISBN:9780521792110.
- Q. Gong, I. M. Ross, W. Kang and Fahroo, F., “Connections between the convector mapping theorem and convergence of Pseudospectral methods for optimal control”, Computational Optimization and Applications, Springer Netherlands, published online: 31 October 2007, to appear in Journal, 2008 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10589-007-9102-4
- Nonlinear Adaptive Velocity Controller Design for an Air-breathing Supersonic Engine vol.13, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2009.10.1.112