- Volume 18 Issue 12
Several adsorbents were tried to remove the selenium ions from industrial wastewater and the following ascending order of the adsorption performance for the selenium at pH 9 was observed: cation exchange resin < chelate resin < zeolite < brown marine algae < granular activated carbon < anion exchange resin. Initial concentration of selenium(146 mg/L) in industrial wastewater was reduced to 63 mg/L of selenium at pH 9 by neutralization process. The maximum uptake of Se calculated from the Langmuir isotherm with anion exchange resin was 0.091 mmol/g at pH 10 and that with granular activated carbon was 0.083 mmol/g at pH 6. The affinity coefficients of Se ion towards anion exchange resin and granular activated carbon were 3.263 L/mmol at pH 10 and 0.873 L/mmol at pH 6, respectively. The sorption performance of anion exchange resin at the low concentration of Se, namely, was much better than that of granular activated carbon. The Se ions from industrial wastewater throughout neutralization process and two steps of adsorption using anion exchange resin was removed to 97.7%.
Selenium;Adsorption;Anion exchange resin;Granular activated carbon
- Mark J. H., 2001, Water and Wastewater Technology, 4th ed., Prentice Hall, 160pp, 483pp.
- Koller L. D. and J. H. Exon, 1986, The two faces of selenium-deficiency and toxicity are similar in animals and man, Can. J. Vet. Res., 50(3), 297-306
- Raisbeck M. F., E. R. Dahl, D. A. Sanchez, E. L. Belden and D. O'Toole, 1993, Naturally occurring selenosis in Wyoming, J. Vet. Diagn. Invest., 5(1), 84-87 https://doi.org/10.1177/104063879300500117
- George T. and D. S. Edward, 2002, Water Quality, Prentice Hall, 684pp.
- 환경부, 2008, 먹는 물의 수질기준 및 검사 등에 관한 규칙, 별표 1호
- Ishihara K., Y. Iwasaki, S. Ebihara, Y. Shindo and N. Nakabayashi, 2000, Photoinduced graft polymerization of 2-methacyloylozyethyl phosphorylcholine on polyethylene membrane surface for obtaining blood cell adhesion resistance, Colloids and Surface B: Biointerface, 18, 325-335 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0927-7765(99)00158-7
- Eromosele I. C. and S. S. Bayero, 2000, Adsorption of chromium and zinc ions from aqueous solutions by cellulosic graft copolymers, Bioresource Technology, 71, 279-281 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(99)00075-9
- Hegazy E. A., H. A. Abd El-Rehim, A. M. I. Ali, H. G. Nowier and H. F. Aly, 1999, Characterization and application of radiation grafted membranes in treatment of intermediate active waste, NIM B, 151, 393-398 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-583X(99)00107-X
- Lee H. S., I. B. Kim, J. H. Suh and T. K. Yoon, 2004, Effect of aluminum in two-metal biosorption by an algal biosorbent, Minerals Engineering, 17, 487-493 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mineng.2004.01.002
- 강혜정, 1997, 유독 음이온 중금속 제거를 위한 흡착제 개발, 석사학위논문, 환경과학과, 계명대학교, 대구
- Kim J. B., 2003, Studies on Removal of As and Se by the Surface Modified Adsorption, Kor. Soc. of Water Sci. & Technol., 11(4), 33-41
- 박경은, 1999, 고도정수처리에 사용한 활성탄의 흡착성능과 경제성에 관한 연구, 석사학위논문, 건설환경공학부, 울산대학교, 울산