- Volume 17 Issue 1
In this paper, reorientation based on angular momentum exchange is applied for a bias momentum stabilized satellite, which is equipped with a spherical fuel tank, and the effect of liquid slosh on the attitude properties such as inertia tensor and angular rate is investigated. In order to represent the slosh motion of liquid an equivalent mechanical model is adopted and full nonlinear equations of motion for three-body system are derived. Computer simulations are performed for several cases, which use the viscosity of liquid and the center location of the tank as input parameters, mainly in order to observe how the viscosity of liquid and the center location of the tank influence the spacecraft’s attitude. The investigation includes observing time-variations of the inertia tensor, especially presence of components of product of inertia during the maneuver.
- J. R. Gebman and D. L. Mingori, ”Perturbation Solution for the Flat Spin Recovery of a Dual-Spin Spacecraft,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 14, No. 7, July. 1976, pp.859-867. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.61428
- P. M. Barba and J. N. Aubrun, “Satellite Attitude Acquisition by Momentum Transfer,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 14, No. 10, Oct. 1976, pp. 1382-1386. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.7228
- C. Hubert, “Spacecraft Attitude Acquisition from an Arbitrary Spinning or Tumbling State,” J. Guidance and Control, Vol. 4, No. 2, March 1981, pp.164-170. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.56067
- F. R. Vigneron and D. A. Staley, “Satellite Attitude Acquisition by Momentum Transfer- The Controlled Wheel Speed Method,” Celestial Mechanics, Vol. 27, 1982, pp.110-130.
- S. R. Vadali and J. L. Junkins, “Spacecraft Large Angle Rotational Maneuvers with Optimal Momentum Transfer,” J. Astronautical Sciences, Vol. 31, No. 2, 1983, pp.217-235.
- J. Weissberg and K. Ninomiya, “Improved Method for the Initial Attitude Acquisition Maneuver,” J. Guidance, Vol. 10, No. 3, May. 1987, pp.316-319. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.20220
- C. D. Hall and R. H. Rand, “Spinup Dynamics of Axial Dual-Spin Spacecraft,” J. Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol.17, No.1, 1994, pp.30-37. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.21155
- H. S. Oh, “Spinup Maneuver and Nonlinear Active Nutation Damping,” J. Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 19, No. 3, 1996, pp.704-706. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.21678
- M. Wuhr and D. A. Staley, “Satellite Reorientation Maneuvers by Momentum Transfer,” SpaceOps 2004, Montreal QC, Canada, May 17-21, 2004.
- J. Y. Kang and J. E. Cochran Jr., “Stability Criteria of Slosh Motion with Periodicity in a Spinning Spacecraft,” J. Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 28, No. 3, May. 2005, pp.562-567.. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.13580
- J. Y. Kang and S. Lee, “Attitude Acquisition of a Satellite with a Partially Filled Liquid Tank” J. Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 31, No. 3, May-June 2008, pp.790-793. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.31865
- P. C. Hughes, Spacecraft Attitude Dynamics, Wiley, NewYork, 1986, pp.97,526.