- Volume 17 Issue 1
One of the error sources for microwave ranging is the instability of the oscillator that drives the microwave signals. Dual one-way ranging (DOWR) minimizes the oscillator effect by combining two one-way carrier phase signals from two transmitter/receiver instrument. The DOWR is first implemented in the GRACE (Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment) satellites. Direct evaluation of the DOWR is not possible due to its extremely high accuracy. The flight performance of the GRACE DOWR is analyzed by applying several indirect methods. Comparison with the design noise level is discussed.
- MacArthur, J.L. and Posner, A.S., "Satellite-to-Satellite Range-Rate Measurement ", IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. GE-23, No. 4, Jul. 1985, pp. 517-523. https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.1985.289443
- Thomas, J.B., "An Analysis of Gravity-Field Estimation Based on Intersatellite Dual-1-Way Biased Ranging", Jet Propulsion Laboratory, JPL Publication 98-15, Pasadena, CA, May 1999.
- Davis, E. S., Dunn, C. E., Stanton, R. H., and Thomas, J. B., "The GRACE Mission: Meeting the Technical Challenges," International Astronautical Federation, Paper IAF-99-B.2.05, Oct. 1999.
- Tapley, B., et al., "GRACE measurements of mass variability in the Earth system", Science, Vol. 305, 2004, pp. 503-505. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1099192
- Kim, J. and Tapley, B.D., "Error Analysis of a Low-Low Satellite-toSatellite Tracking Mission", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 25, No. 6, 2002, pp. 1100-1106. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.4989
- Kim, J. and Tapley,B.D., “Simulation of Dual One-Way Ranging Measurements”, Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol.40, No.3, 2003, pp.419-425. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.3962
- Gerlach, Ch. et al, "GRACE performance study and sensor analysis", The Joint CHAMP/GRACE Science Meeting, 2003.
- Frommknecht, B. et al, "Integrated sensor analysis for GRACE – development and validation", Advances in Geoscience, Vol1, No.57, 2003, pp.57-63. https://doi.org/10.5194/adgeo-1-57-2003
- Dunn, C. et al, "Application Challenge: Instrument of Grace GPS Augments Gravity", GPS World, February 2003, pp.16-28.