- Volume 4 Issue 1
Change of Lumbar Multifidus Muslce Recorded Simultaneously by Ultrasound Imaging during Upper Extremity Lifting Movement in Chronic Low Back Pain Patients
만성 요통 환자의 상지 기능적 동작시 초음파에 나타나는 다열근의 변화
- Jang, Won-Seok (Seoung Ju Dong San United General Surgery Clinic)
- 장원석 (성주동산연합외과의원)
- Published : 2009.02.28
Purpose : The purpose of this study is change of lumbar multifidus muslce recorded simultaneously by ultrasound imaging during upper extremity functional movement in chronic low back pain patients. The subject were consisted of 10 women patients with chronic low back pain and healthy asymptomatic subject 10 women. Methods : 10 women patients with chronic low back pain and healthy asymptomatic subject 10 women is voluntary participated for the research. Subjects were positioned in standing. Multifidus size were measured from L4 vertebral segement. The ultrasound imaging apparatus(Sonoace 6000, Medison, Korea) was epuipped with a 5-MHz convex array transducer. The upper extremity lifting movement used to activate the multifidus was then measured. Results : Results of the analysis showed that at the L4 vertebral leves, healthy asymptomatic subjects had significantly larger multifidus muscle compared with chronic LBP subjects. Conclusion : This study will be used as treatment method of patient with chronic LBP. The multifidus muscle in chronic LBP patients clinical significance. Most of chronic LBP patients have multifidus contraction pattern. Especially multifidus contraction in L4 vertebral segement. So chronic LBP patients necessary multifidus muscle release treatment.
- 이복동, Muscle & pain, 도서출판 정담. 2003: 406-9.
- Anderson BD. Randomized clinical trial comparing active versus passive approaches to the treatment of recurrent and chronic low back pain. Doctoral Disseration, University of Miami. USA. 2005.
- Fann AV. Chronic low back pain : arousal, attention, and frontal lobe blood flow dysfunction. Dotoral Dissertation, University of Arkansas. USA. 2006.
- HM H. Quality of life and cost of back pain in patients in Finish General Practice. Spine. 2004; 27(6): 647-53. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200203150-00015
- Hodges PW, Pengel LH, Herbert RD et al. Measurement of muscle contraction with ultrsound imaging. Muscle Nerve. 2003;27(6): 682-92. https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.10375
- Hwang JH, Lee YT, Park DS et al. Age affects the latency of the erector spine response to sudden loading. Clinical Biomechanics. 2008;23: 23-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2007.09.002
- Kiesel KB, Uhl TL, Underwood FB et al. Measurement of lumbar multifidus muscle contraction with rehabilitative ultrasound imaging. Manual Therapy. 2007;12: 161-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2006.06.011
- Kim JH. Effect of shear force on intervertebral disc (IVD) degeneration and low back pain : in vivo rat study. Doctroal Dissertation. University of Iowa. 2006.
- Macdonald DA, Moseley GL, Hodges PW. The lumbar multifidus : Does the evidence support clinical beliefs?. Manual Therapy. 2006;11: 254-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2006.02.004
- Mannion AF, Adams MA, Dolan, P. Sudden and unexpected loading generates high forces on the lumbar spine. Spine. 2000;25: 842-52. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200004010-00013
- Manuela LF, Paulo HF, Jane L et al. Relationship between spinal stiffness and outcome in patients with chronic low back pain. Manual Therapy. 2008: 1-7.
- McMeeken JM, Beith ID, Newham DJ et al. The relationship between EMG and change in thickness of transversus abdominis. Clinical Biomechanics. 2004;9(4): 337-42.
- M.G.H. van Weering, M.M.R. Vollenbroek-Hutten, Tonis TM et al. Daily physical activities in chronic lower back pain patients assessed with accelerometry. European journal of pain. 2008;26.
- Moseley GL, Hodjes PW, Gandevia SC. Deep and suerficial fibers of the lumbar multifidus muscle are differentially active during voluntary arm movements. Spine. 2002;27: E29-36. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200201150-00013
- Perri M. Rehabilitation of breathing pattern disorders. In Liebenson C. Rehabilition of the spine: a practitioner's manual 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2007: 369-87.
- Picavet HS, Haxes JM. Prevalence of self reported musculoskeletal diseases is high. Ann Rheum Dis. 2003;62(7): 644-50. https://doi.org/10.1136/ard.62.7.644
- Pradhan BB. Evidence-informed mangement of chronic low back pain with watchful waiting. The Spine Journal. 2008;8: 253-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spinee.2007.10.028
- Quinn JV. Influence of pilates-based mat exercise on chronic lower back pain. Doctoral Dissertation. University of Florida Atlantic. USA. 2005.
- Roche G, Ponthieux A, Parot-Shinkel E et al. Comparison of a functional restoration program with active individual physical therapy for patients with chronic low back pain : a randomized controlled trial. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007;88(10): 1229-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2007.07.014
- Rymut DJ. Experiences of family nurse practitioners with patients with chronic low back pain. University of Alaska Anchorage. USA. 2006.
- Stokes AF, Henry SM, Single RM. Surface EMG electrodes do not accurately record from lumbar multifidus muscles. Clinical Biomechanics. 2003; 18: 9-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-0033(02)00140-7
- Teyhen DS. Rehabilitative ultrasound imaging symposium. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy. 2006;36(8): A1-17.
- Waxman SE. Chronic low back pain and impact on relationship satisfaction. University of Queen. Canada. 2006.
- Wood MP. Evaluating the efficacy of graded in vivo exposure for the treatment of fear in patients with chronic back pain: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Doctoral Dissertation, University of Regina. USA. 2006.