- Volume 9 Issue 5
The correct detection of skin color is an important preliminary process in fields of face detection and human motion analysis. It is generally performed by three steps: transforming the pixel color to a non-RGB color space, dropping the illuminance component of skin color, and classifying the pixels by the skin color distribution model. Skin detection depends on by various factors such as color space, presence of the illumination, skin modeling method. In this paper we propose a 3d skin color model that can segment pixels with several ethnic skin color from images with various illumination condition and complicated backgrounds. This proposed skin color model are formed with each components(Y, Cb, Cr) which transform pixel color to YCbCr color space. In order to segment the skin color of several ethnic groups together, we first create the skin color model of each ethnic group, and then merge the skin color model using its skin color probability. Further, proposed model makes several steps of skin color areas that can help to classify proper skin color areas using small training data.
Skin Color Modeling;Skin Color Detection;Skin Pixel Segmentation
- K. Sobottka and I. Pitas, "A Novel Method for Automatic Face Segmentation," Facial Feature Extraction and Tracking, Signal Processing: ImageComm., Vol.12, No.3, pp.263-281, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0923-5965(97)00042-8
- D. Chai and A. Bouzerdoum, "A Bayesian approach to skin color classification in YCbCr color space," IEEE TENCON00, Vol.2, pp.421-424, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/TENCON.2000.888774
- H. Wang and S. F. Chang, "A Highly Efficient System for Automatic Face Detection in Mpeg Video," IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems for VideoTechnology, Vol.7, No.4, pp.615-628, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/76.611173
- M. C. Shin, K. I. Chang, and L. V. Tsap, "Does Colorspace Transformation Make Any Difference on Skin Detection?," Proc. IEEE Workshop Applications of Computer Vision, pp.275-279, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACV.2002.1182194
- M. J. Jones and J. M. Rehg, "Statistical Color Models with Application to Skin Detection," Int'l J. Computer Vision, Vol.46, No.1, pp.81-96, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1013200319198
- J.-C. Terrillon, M. N. Shirazi, H. Fukamachi, and S. Akamatsu, "Comparative Performance of Different Skin Chrominance Models and Chrominance Spaces for the Automatic Detection of Human Faces in Color Images," Proc. IEEE Int'l Conf. Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, pp.54-61, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/AFGR.2000.840612
- J. Yang and A. Waibel, A Real-Time Face Tracker, Proc. IEEE Workshop Applications of Computer Vision, pp.142-147, 1996(12). https://doi.org/10.1109/ACV.1996.572043
- B. Menser and M. Wien, "Segmentation and Tracking of Facial Regions in Color Image Sequences," SPIE Visual Comm. and Image Processing 2000, Vol.4067, pp.731-740, 2000(6). https://doi.org/10.1117/12.386675
- H. Greenspan, J. Goldberger, and I. Eshet, "Mixture Model for Face Color Modeling and Segmentation," Pattern Recognition Letters, Vol.22, pp.1525-1536, 2001(9). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-8655(01)00086-1
- M.-H. Yang and N. Ahuja, "Gaussian Mixture Model for Human Skin Color and Its Applications in Image and Video Databases," SPIE Storage and Retrieval for Image and Video Databases, Vol.3656, pp.45-466, 1999(1). https://doi.org/10.1117/12.333865
- J. Karlekar, U. B. Desai, "Finding faces in color images usingwavelet transform," International Conference on Image Analysis and Processing, pp.108/5, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIAP.1999.797744
- S. L. Phung, D. Chai, and A. Bouzerdoum, "A universal and robust humanskin color model using neural networks," IJCNN01, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/IJCNN.2001.938827
- H. Sahbi and N. Boujemaa, "Coarse to .ne face detection based on kin color adaptation," Workshop on Biometric Authentication, 2002, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol.2359, pp.112-120, 2002.
- Son Lam Phung, Abdesselam Bouzerdoum, and Douglas Chai, "Skin Segmentation Using Color Pixel Classification: Analysis and Comparison," IEEE Transaction on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.27, No.1, 2005(1). https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2005.17
- P. Kakumanu, S. Makrogiannis, and N. Bourbakis, "A survey of skin-color modeling and detection methods," P. Kakumanu et al. / Pattern Recognition 40 1106 . 1122, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patcog.2006.06.010
- G. M. Park and Y. B. Kim, "3D Skin Color Model for Asian Skin Color Segmentation," MITA 2007 Track 4A-04, 2007.
- S. Haykin, Neural Networks: A Comprehensive Foundation, 2nd ed., Uppersaddle, N.J: Prentice-Hall, 1999.