- Volume 9 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Increasing Customer Lifetime Value by Encouraging Customers to Pay Less in a Competitive Electricity Market
경쟁적 전력 시장 하에서 고객의 비용 절감을 통한 고객 평생 가치 증대에 관한 연구
- Received : 2009.07.27
- Accepted : 2009.09.15
- Published : 2009.12.28
The electrical power industry has been recognized as a natural monopoly industry for its technological and industrial characteristics. However, a competitive market system has been introduced to that industry in Europe, North America and Australia to overcome the inefficiencies originated from the monopolistic system for decades. In Korea, the power industry is expected to be placed in a competitive market system within several years after separation and privatization of vertically integrated industry in progress. Hence, there is a need for a research on the increase of customer value in that industry, however, existing studies have little dealt with that problem and there is no research on the price policy to consider churn and retention of customers. Therefore, this study provides a methodology for increasing customer loyalty and lifetime value by presenting the lowest pricing plan which leads to diminishing customers' cost. It is verified through an empirical examination that firms can enhance customer loyalty using a price element in that industry and maximize their profit by finding out customers whose lifetime values would increase.
Electrical Power Industry;Competitive Electricity Market;Customer Lifetime Value;Customer Loyalty
- W. Viscusi, J. E. Harrington, and J. M. Vernon, Economics of Regulation and Antitrust (4th Ed.), The MIT Press, 2005.
- 이승훈, "전력산업의 구조개편과 효과적 추진전략", 에너지공학, 제8권, 1999.
- 김현제, RED 지수를 이용한 전력산업의 규제완화에 대한 비교평가와 시사점, 에너지경제연구원, 2005.
- 허윤식, "인터넷을 이용한 전기사업자의 고객관리(미국) :소매경쟁 체제에서 고객유지에 노력", 해외전력정보, 제25권, 제3호, pp.114-124, 2002.
- P. Kotler, Marketing Management (10th Ed.), Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2000.
- F. Reichheld, The loyalty effect: The hidden force behind growth, profits, and lasting value, Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MA.,1996.
- 최정환, 이유재, 죽은 CRM 살아있는 CRM, 한언, 2001.
- 임원혁, 전력산업구조개편: 주요 쟁점과 대안, 한국개발연구원, 2004.
- J. Lund, "Learning from European Advanced Metering Deployments," Utility Automation & Engineering T&D, Vol.12, No.6, pp.20-24, 2007.
- S. Keaveney, "Consumer switching behavior in service industries: An exploratory study," J. of Marketing, Vol.59, pp.71-82, 1995.
- T. Garling, A. Gamble, and E. A. Juliusson, "Consumers' switching inertia in a fictitious electricity market," Int. J. of Consumer Studies, Vol.32, No.6, pp.613-618, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1470-6431.2008.00728.x
- J. M. Yusta, I. J. Ramirez-Rosado, J. A. Dominguez-Navarro, and J. M. Perez-Vidal, "Optimal electricity price calculation model for retailers in a deregulated market," Electric Power and Energy Systems, Vol.27, No.5-6, pp.437-447, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2005.03.002
- A. Moholar, P. Kilnkhachorn, and A. Feliachi, "Effects of Dynamic Pricing on Residential Electricity Bill," Proceedings of IEEE Power Systems Conference and Exposition, New York, October, pp.1030-1035(2), 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/PSCE.2004.1397738
- Y. Joo, J. Jun and B. Kim, "Encouraging customers to pay less for mobile telecommunication services," J. of Database Marketing, Vol.9, No.4, pp.350-359, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jdm.3240083
- 강환수, 조진형, 권귀석, 이종만, 강환일, "원격검침을 위한 다기능 자바카드 설계 및 구현", 한국콘텐츠학회논문집, 제9권, 제8호, pp.64-70, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2009.9.8.064
- P. Allison, Survival analysis using SAS: A practical guide, SAS Publishing, 1995.