- Volume 9 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effect of Bridging Exercise Using Swiss Ball and Whole Body Vibration on Trunk Muscle Activity and Postural Stability
치료용 공과 전신진동기를 이용한 교각운동이 체간근의 근활성도와 자세안정성에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2009.09.29
- Accepted : 2009.11.16
- Published : 2009.12.28
The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of bridging using Swiss ball, whole body vibration (WBV), and mat on trunk and lower extremity muscle activity and postural stability. The results were as follows: 1) EMG activity of internal oblique increased significantly in WBV condition compared with mat condition (p<.05). 2) EMG activity of rectus femoris and medial gastrocnemius increased significantly in Swiss ball condition and WBV condition compared with mat condition (p<.05). 3) The muscle activity of medial hamstrings increased significantly in Swiss ball condition compared with mat condition (p<.05). 4) The limit of stability in three groups increased significantly in all directions after 4-week intervention (p<.05). 5). There were no significant differences in the limit of stability among three groups after 4-week intervention (p>.05). Therefore the trunk and lower extremity muscle activity increased in Swiss ball and WBV conditions, and postural stability was improved in three groups after intervention period.
Therapeutic Ball;Whole Body Vibration;Bridging;Trunk Muscle Activation;Postural Stability
Supported by : 한서대학교
- S. MaGill, "Low back disorders evidence-based prevention and rehabilitation," Champaign (IL): Human Kinetics, Vol.5, pp.17-22, 2002..
- P. W. Brill, and G. S. Couzen, The Core Program, 1st ed, New York Bantam Books, 2002.
- N. P. Andre and J. Michael, The great body ball handbook. productive fitness products. 2000.
- 이은영, 방요순, 고자경, "만성 요통환자의 치료를 위한 치료용 볼 운동의 효과", 한국전문물리치료학회지 제10권, 제3호, pp.110-126, 2003.
- F. J. Vera-Garcia, S .G. Grenier, and S. M. McGill, "Abdominal muscle response during curl-ups on both stable and labile surface," Physiol Therapy, Vol.44, No.1, pp.57-64, 2000.
- P. B. O'Sullivan, L. Twomey, and G. T. Allison, "Altered abdominal muscle recruitment in patients with chronic back pain following a specific exercise intervention", J. Orthop Sports Phys Ther, Vol.8, No.27, pp.114-124, 1998.
- J. A. Saal and J. S. Saal, "Nonoperative treatment of herniated lumbar intervertebral disc with radiculopathy," Spine, Vol.14, No.4, pp.431-437, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198904000-00018
- V. K. Stevens, K. G. Bouche, N. N. Mahieu, and et al, "Trunk muscle activity in healthy subjects," Musculoskelet Disod, Vol.7, pp.75, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-7-75
- L. G. Cohen, and A. Starr, "Vibration and muscle contraction affect somatosensory evoked potentials," Neurology, Vol.35, pp.691-698, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.35.5.691
- M. A. Lebedev and A. V. Poliakov, "Analysis of the interference electromyogram of human soleus muscle after exposure to vibration," Neirofiziologiia, Vol.23, pp.57-65, 1991.
- C. Bosco, R. Colli, E. Introini, M. Cardinale, O. Tsarpela, and A. Madella, "Adaptive response of human skeletal muscle to vibration exposure," Clin. Physiol. Vol.19, pp.183-187, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2281.1999.00155.x
- K. Kerschan-Schindl, E. S. Grampp, C. Henk , H. Resch, E. Preisinger, V. Fialka-Moser, and H. Imhof, "Whole-body vibration exercise leads to alterations in muscle blood volume," Clin. Physiol, Vol.21, No3, pp.377-382, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2281.2001.00335.x
- A. Boaerts, S. Verscheuren, C. Delecluse, A. L. Clessens, and S. Boonen, "Effects of whole body vibration training on postural control in older individuals: A 1 year randomized controlled trial," Gait & Posture, Vol.26, No.2, pp.309-316, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2006.09.078
- M. Roelants, C. Lelecluse, and S. M. Verschueren, "Whole-body vibration training increase knee-extension strength and speed of movement on older woman," J. Am Geriatr Soc. Vol.52, pp.901-908, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2004.52256.x
- T. J. Hazel, J. M. Jakobi, and K. A. Kenno, "The effects of whole-body vibration on upper-and lower-body EMG during static and dynamic contraction," Appl Physiol Nutr Metab, Vol.32, No.6, pp.1156-1163, 2007.. https://doi.org/10.1139/H07-116
- A. Moezy, G. Olyaei, M. Hadian, M. Razi, and S. Faqhihzadeh, "A comparative study of whole body vibration training and conventional training on knee proprioception and postural stablity after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction," Br J Sports Med. Vol.42, No. 5, pp.373-378, Epub ahead of print, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.2007.038554
- S. S. Rees, A, J. Murphy, and M. L. Watsford, "Effects of whole-body vibration exercise on lower extremity muscle strength and power in an older population: A randomized clinical trail," Phys Ther, Vol.24, Epub ahead of print. 2009.
- V. K. Stevens, P. L. Coorevits, K. G. Bouche, N. N. Mahieu, G. G. Vanderstraeten, and L. A. Daneels, The influence of specific training on trunk muscle recruitment patterns in healthy subjects during stabilization exercises, Man Ther, Vol.12, No.3, pp.271-279. 2007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2006.07.009
- P. W. Marshall and B. A. Murphy, "Core stability exercises on and off a Swiss ball," Arch Phys Med Rehabil, Vol.86, No.2, pp.242-249, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2004.05.004
- C. A. Richardson and G. A. Jull, "Muscle control-pain control, What exercise would you prescribe?, Man Ther, Vol.1, No.1, pp.2-10, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1054/math.1995.0243
- C. M. Hall and L. T. Brody, Therapeutic exercise: moving toward function, 1st ed, Philadelphia, Lippincott, William and Wilkins, 1999.
- D. A. Neumann, Kinesiology of The Musculoskeletal System, 1st ed, St. Louis, Mosby, 2002.
- F. Barnett and W. Gilleard, "The use of lumbar spinal stabilization techniques during the performance of abdominal strength exercise variations," J. Sport Med Phy Fitness, Vol.45, No.1, pp.38-43, 2005.
- C. Richardson, P. Hodges, and J. Hides. Therapeutic Exercise for Lumbopelvic Stabilization: a motor control approach for the treatement and prevention of lowback pain, 2nd ed, Philadelphia, Churcjill Livingstone, 2004.
- 김수정, 원종혁, 오재섭, 권오윤, "Hook-lying 자세에서 한쪽 다리 들기시 지지면의 안정성에 따른 복사근의 근활성도 비교", 한국전문물리치료학회지 제13권 제3호, pp.102-110, 2006.
- G. J. Lehman, W. Hoda, and S. Oliver, "Trunk muscle activity during bridging exercises on and off a Swiss ball," Chiropr Osteopat, Vol.13, No.14, pp.1-8, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1186/1746-1340-13-1