- Volume 21 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
An Experimental Study on Characteristics of Averaged Electromagnetic Properties considering Moisture Changes in Cement Mortar
시멘트 모르타르의 수분변화에 따른 평균화된 전자기 특성에 대한 실험적 연구
- Kwon, Seung-Jun (Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California Irvine) ;
- Maria, Q. Feng (Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California Irvine) ;
- Na, Ung-Jin (Busan Port Construction Office, Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime affairs)
- Published : 2009.04.30
Many researches on electromagnetic (EM) properties like dielectric constant and conductivity are performed since they can be characterized in nonmetallic cement-based material such as mortar and concrete. However, they are much affected by the moisture so that the behaviors of EM properties are to be clearly understood. In this paper, measurements for saturation and EM properties are performed for cement mortar specimens with five different water to cement (W/C) ratios including basic tests like compressive strength and porosity measurement. Every saturated specimens are exposed to room condition and the changes in EM properties caused by decreasing saturation are analyzed. In the saturated condition, higher measurement of EM properties are evaluated in the specimens with higher porosity, however this relationship is adversely changed with drying process. Since the pores without filled water causes the decreases in EM properties, the measurements show stable and linear increment with the lower W/C ratios. Furthermore, the increasing ratios of EM measurements with W/C ratio are shown with saturation and the relationships between them are derived through regression analysis.
- Maekawa, K., Chaube, R. P., and Kishi, T., Modeling of Concrete Performance-hydration, Microstructure Formation and Mass Transport, London and New York, Routledge, 1999, pp. 1-15
- Ishida, T., Chaube, R. P., and Maekawa, K., “Modeling of Pore Content in Concrete Under Generic Drying Wetting Conditions,” Concrete Library of JSCE, Vol. 18, 1996, pp. 113-118.
- Song, H. W., Kwon, S. J., Byun K. J., and Park, C. K., “Predicting Carbonation in Early-Aged Concrete,” Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 36, Issue 5, 2006, pp. 979-989. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2005.12.019
- Song, H. W. and Kwon, S. J., “Permeability Characteristics of Carbonated Concrete considering Capillary Pore Structure,” Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 37, Issue 6, 2007, pp. 909-915. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2007.03.011
- 송하원, 권성준, 변근주, 박찬규, “혼화재를 사용한 고성능 콘크리트의 배합특성을 고려한 염화물 확산 해석기법에 관한 연구,” 대한토목학회 논문집, 25권, 1A호, 2005, pp. 213-223.
- Glanvile, J. and Nevile, A., “Prediction of Concrete Durability,” Proceedings of STATS 21st Anniversary Conference, E&FN SPON, 1995, pp. 16-36.
- Rhim, H. C., “Condition Monitoring of Deteriorating Concrete Dams Using Radar,” Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 31, 2001, pp. 363-373. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(00)00496-8
- Halabe, U. B., Condition Assessment of Reinforced Concrete Structures Using Electromagnetic Waves, Doctoral thesis, Department of Civil Eng., MIT, Cambridge, 1990.
- Rhim, H. C. and Buyukozturk, O., “Electromagnetic Properties of Concrete at Microwave Frequency Range,” ACI Materials Journal, Vol. 95, 1998, pp. 262-271.
- Rhim, H. C., Kim, Y. J., Feng, M. Q., Woo, S. K., and Song, Y. C., “Measurements of Electromagnetic Properties of Concrete and Fiber Reinforced Polymer for Nondestructive Testing,” US-Korea Joint Seminar/Workshop on Smart Structures Technologies, Sheraton Walker Hill Hotel, Seoul, Korea, September 2, 2004, pp. 14-18.
- Halabe, U. B., Sotoodehnia, A., Maser, K. R., and Kausel, E. A., “Modeling the Electromagnetic Properties of Concrete,” ACI Materials Journal, Vol. 90, 1993, pp. 552-563.
- McCarter, W. J., Chrisp, T. M., and Starrs, G., “The Early Hydration of Alkali-Activated Slag: Developments in Monitoring Techniques,” Cement and Concrete Composites, Vol. 21, 1999, pp. 277-283. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0958-9465(99)00007-4
- McCarter, W. J., Starrs, G., and Chrisp, T. M., “The Complex Impedance Response of Fly-Ash Cement Revisited,” Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 34, 2004, pp. 1837-1843. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2004.01.013
- Neithalath, N., “Extracting the Performance Prediction of Enhanced Porosity Concrete from Electrical Conductivity Spectra,” Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 37, 2007, pp. 796-804. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2007.02.018
- Soutsos, M. N., Bungey, J. H., Millard, S. G., Shaw, M. R., and Patterson, A., “Dielectric Properties of Concrete and Their Influence on Radar Testing,” NDT&E International, Vol. 34, 2001, pp. 419-425. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-8695(01)00009-3
- Wittmann, F. H., “Micro Wave Absorption of Hardened Cement Paste,” Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 5, 1975, pp. 63-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/0008-8846(75)90108-8
- Zhang, W., Ding, X. Z., Lim, T. H., Ong, C. K., Tan, B. T. G., and Yang, J., “Microwave Study of Hydration of Slag Cement Blends in Early Period,” Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 25, No. 5, 1995, pp. 1086-1094. https://doi.org/10.1016/0008-8846(95)00103-J
- Kim, Y. J., Jofre, L., De Flaviis, F. D., and Feng, M. Q., “Microwave Reflection Tomography Array for Damage Detection of Concrete Structures,” Proc of IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symposium Digest, Seattle, WA, June 2-7, 2002, pp. 651-654.
- Shi, C., Stegemann, J. A., and Caldwell, E. J., “Effect of Supplementary Cementing Materials on the Specific Conductivity of Pore Solution and Its Implications on the Rapid Chloride Permeability Test (AASHTO T277 and ASTM C1202) Results,” ACI Materials Journal, Vol. 95, 1988, pp. 389-394.
- 권성준, 나웅진, Feng, M. Q., “염화물을 혼입한 OPC 모르타르의 전자기적 특성에 대한 연구,” 대한토목학회 논문집, 28권, 4A호, 2008, pp. 565-71.
- 권성준, 송하원, Feng, M. Q., “양생조건에 따른 초기재령 시멘트 모르타르의 전자기 특성에 대한 실험적 연구,” 대한토목학회 논문집, 28권, 5A호, 2008, pp. 737-746.
- 오병환, 정상화, 이명규, “공극률을 고려한 콘크리트중의 이산화탄소 확산특성에 대한 연구,” 콘크리트학회 논문집, 15권, 3호, 2003, pp. 443-453.
- Kwon, S. J., Feng, M. Q., Park, T. W., Glassman, J., and Na, U. J., “An Experimental Evaluation of Compressive Strength in Cement Mortar Using Electromagnetic Characterization,” ASCE, International Committee, Los Angeles Section, 5th International Engineering and Construction, Conference (IECC'5), August 27-29, 2008, pp. 433-441.
- Garboczi, E. J., Schwartz, L. M., and Bentz, D. P., “Modelling the D.C. Electrical Conductivity of Mortar,” Material Research Symposium Proc., Vol. 370, 1995, pp. 429-436.
- McCarter, W. J., Starrs, G., and Chrisp, T. M., “Electrical Conductivity, Diffusion, and Permeability of Portland Cement-Based Mortar,” Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 30, 2000, pp. 1395-1400. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(00)00281-7
- Kwon, S. J., Feng, M. Q., and Na, U. J., “An Experimental Study on Electromagnetic Properties in Chloride-Contaminated Cement Mortar,” ASCE, International Committee, Los Angeles Section, 5th International Engineering and Construction, Conference (IECC'5), August 27-29, 2008, pp. 673-680.
- Chrisp, T. M., McCarter, W. J., Starrs, G., Basheer, P. A. M., and Blewett, J., “Depth-Related Variation in Conductivity to Study Cover Zone Concrete During Wetting and Drying,” Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 24, 2002, pp. 415-426. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0958-9465(01)00073-7
- McCarter, W. J., Chrisp, T. M., Starrs, G., and Blewett, J., “Characterization and Monitoring of Cement-Based Systems Using Intrinsic Electrical Property Measurements,” Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 33, 2003, pp. 197-206. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(02)00824-4
- Feng, M. Q., Kim, Y. J., and De Flaviis, F. D., “Use of Microwaves for Damage Detection of FRP-Wrapped Concrete Structures,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 128, 2001, pp. 172-183. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2002)128:2(172)
- Feng, S. and Sen, P. N., “Geometrical Model of Conductive and Dielectric Properties of Partially Saturated Rocks,” Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 58, 1985, pp. 3236-3243. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.335804
- 임홍철, 정성훈, “비파괴 시험을 위한 콘크리트의 유전상수의 측정,” 콘크리트학회 논문집, 12권, 3호, 2000, pp. 115-123.