- Volume 33 Issue 8
In the manufacturing process of HDD, ball swaging method is commonly used to joint the Head Gimbal Assembly(HGA) with the arm of the actuator. The hub on the HGA is placed into the hole of the actuator arm, and the hub and arm is bonded by the pressure of steel ball. The pressure for plastic deformation on the baseplate causes the undesirable deformation on HGA, such as tilting, flying height change of head. After obtaining the key parameters that have large sensitivity on the swaging process, the optimal shape of baseplate is proposed to increase the static performance during swaging process. Contribution of the proposed design for the swaging performance is verified by contact simulation with elasto-plastic deformation.
Contact Analysis;HDD Actuator;Ball Swaging;Response Surface Method
- Kamnerdtong, T., Chutima, S. and Ekintumas, K., 2005, 'Effects of Swaging Process Parameters on Specimen Deformation,' 8th Asian Symp. on Visualization, pp. 50.1~50.7
- Kenichiro, A. and Keiji, A., 2006, 'Numerical Ball Swaging Analysis of Head Arm for Hard Disk Drives,' ASME/JSME Joint Conf. on MIPE, S05-04
- Lee, H. S., Kim, Y. H., Hwang, T. Y. and Kim, C. S., 2005, 'VCM Design to Improve Dynamic Performance of Actuator in a Disk Drive,' IEEE Trans. of Magnetics, Vol. 41, No. 2, pp. 774~778 https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2004.840312
- Han, S. Y., Maeng, J. S. and Kim, S. H., 2004, 'Parameter Optimization of a Micro-Static Mixer Using Successive Response Surface Method,' Trans. of KSME, A, Vol. 28, No. 9, pp. 1314~1319 https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2004.28.9.1314
- Davis, R., 1998, Minitab Lab Manual, Duxbury Press.
- Lee, S. B., 2008, Experiments Design Based on Applications, Eretec Inc.
- Wadhwa, S. K., 1996, 'Material Compatibility and Some Understanding of the Ball Swaging Process,' IEEE Trans. of Magnetics, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 1837~1842 https://doi.org/10.1109/20.492874
- Lim, P. and Yang, G. E., 2007, 'Optimization of Finish Cutting Condition of Impeller with Five-axis Machine by Response Surface Method,' Trans. of KSME, A, Vol. 31, No. 9, pp. 924~933 https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2007.31.9.924