- Volume 18 Issue 2
Stable and effective constraint enforcement system is one of the crucial components for physically-based dynamic simulations. This paper presents analysis and evaluation for traditional constraint enforcement systems(Lagrange Multiplier method, Baumgarte stabilization method, Post-stabilization method, Implicit constraint enforcement method, Fast projection method) to provide a guideline to users who need to integrate a suitable constraint enforcement system into their dynamic simulations. The mathematical formulations for traditional constraint enforcement systems are presented in this paper. This paper describes a summary of evaluation which consists of constraint error comparison, computational cost, and dynamic behavior analysis to verify the efficiency of each traditional constraint enforcement system.
Supported by : Soonchunhyang University
- Witkin, A. and Baraff, D. (2003), "Physically based modeling", SIGGRAPH 03' Course notes.
- Goldenthal, R., Harmon, D., Fattal, R., Bercovier, M. and Grinspun, E. (2007), "Efficient simulation of inextensible cloth", ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG), Vol. 26 No. 3.
- Barzel, R., and Barr, A. (1988), "A modeling system based on dynamic constraints", Computer Graphics, Vol. 22 No. 4, pp. 179-188. https://doi.org/10.1145/378456.378509
- Platt, J. C. and Barr, A. (1988), "Constraint methods for flexible models", Computer Graphics, Vol. 22 No. 4, pp. 279-288. https://doi.org/10.1145/378456.378524
- Choi, K. J. and Ko, H. S. (2002), "Stable but responsive cloth", ACM Transactions on Graphics, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 604-611.
- Hong, J. M. and Kim, C. H. (2005), "Discontinuous fluids", ACM Transactions on Graphics, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 915-920. https://doi.org/10.1145/1073204.1073283
- Song, O. Y., Shin, H. and Ko, H. S. (2005), "Stable but Non-Dissipative Water", ACM Trans. on Graphics, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 81-97. https://doi.org/10.1145/1037957.1037962
- Witkin, A., Fleischer, K. and Barr, A. (1987), "Energy constraints on parameterized models", Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 1987, ACM Press / ACM SIGGRAPH, Computer Graphics Proceeding, pp. 225-232.
- Terzopoulos, D., Platt, J., Barr, A. and Fleischer, K. (1987), "Elastically deformable models", Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 1987, ACM Press / ACM SIGGRAPH, Computer Graphics Proceeding, pp. 205-214.
- Hirota, G., Fisher, S., State, A., Fuchs, H. and Lee, C. (2001), "Simulation of deforming elastic solids in contact", SIGGRAPH 2001 Technical Sketch, In SIGGRAPH 2001 Conference Abstracts and Applications, pp. 259.
- Hauth, M., Etxmuss, O. and Strasser, W. (2003), "Analysis of numerical methods for the simulation of deformable models", The Visual Computer, Vol. 9, No. 7-8, pp. 581-600.
- Baraff, D. (1996), "Linear-time dynamics using Lagrange multipliers", Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 1996, ACM Press / ACM SIGGRAPH, pp. 137-146.
- Baumgarte, J. (1972), "Stabilization of const- raints and integrals of motion in dynamical systems", Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics.
- Cline, M. B. and Pai D. K. (2003), "Post- stabilization for rigid body simulation with contact and constraints", Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3744-3751.
- Hong, M., Choi, M., Jung, S., Welch, S. and Tropp, J. (2005), "Effective constrained dynamic simulation using implicit constraint enforcement", Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference of Robotics and Automation, pp. 4531-4536.
- Provot, X. (1995), "Deformation constraints in a massspring model to describe rigid cloth behavior," Proceedings of Graphics Interface, pp. 147-154.
- Baraff, D. and Witkin, A. (1998), "Large steps in cloth simulation", Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 1998, ACM Press / ACM SIGGRAPH, pp. 1-12.
- Ascher, U. R., Chin, H. and Reich, S. (1994), "Stabilization of DAEs and invariant manifolds", Numerische Methematik, Vol. 67, No. 2, pp. 131-149. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002110050020