- Volume 12 Issue 2
A Study about Elder Abuse Experiences of Elderly People
노인의 노인학대 경험
- So, Hee-Young (College of Nursing, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Li (College of Nursing, Chungnam National University) ;
- Jung, Mi-Yeon (Department of Nursing, Daejeon Health Sciences College)
- Received : 2009.11.27
- Accepted : 2009.12.22
- Published : 2009.12.31
Purpose: This study was to explore elderly people's elder abuse experiences, and the relations between the abuse experiences (direct and indirect) and their level of activities of daily living, family relations and self-integrity. Method: A descriptive survey was conducted, and the participants were 108 elderly people. Data were analyzed using SPSS by descriptive statistics and t-test. Result: It was that indirect abuse experiences of the elder was higher than direct abuse experiences. In this research, the most common kind of direct elder abuse was 'psychological abuse and negligence', and the severity was low. The largest portion of indirect abuse experiences belonged to 'physical abuse and negligence', and the severity was high. The older people who had direct abuse experiences showed lowered self-integrity and serious family problems and stress. Conclusion: The experiences of elder abuse showed differences in family relations and self integrity. Hence, there should be a nursing intervention improving psycho-social factors such as self integrity and family relations, and systematic and easily available supporting organizations for victims of elder abuse.
- Bae, J., & Jeong, M. (2008). Impact of abusers' characters perceived by the elderly on elder abuse. Journal of Korean Gerontological Society, 28(3), 443-457.
- Canadian Task Force on the Periodic Health Examination (1994). Periodic health examination 1994 update, secondary prevention of elder abuse and mistreatment. Canadian Medical Association Journal, 151(10), 413-1420.
- Cho, A. J., Kim, S. K., & Kim, Y. K. (1999). Case study about elder parents abuse. Korean Institute for Health and Social Affairs.
- Choi, Y. H. (2000). Elder and health.. Seoul: Hyunmoonsa.
- Choi, Y. H., Kang, S. P., Ko, S. H., & Cho, M. O. (1992). Nursing and korean culture. Seoul: Soomoonsa.
- Korea National Statistical Office. (2008). Report on the social survey, Daejeon: Korea, Republic of. Government Printing Office.
- Hudson, W. W. (1994). Index of family relation in Fisher J, Corcoran K (Eds.), Measure for clinical practice. New York : Free Press.
- Johnson, I. M. (1995). Family members perceptions of attitudes toward elder abuse, Journal of Contemporary Human Services, 4, 220-229.
- Kim, H. G. (1998). Public perceptions for elder mistreatment and its reality in Taegu. Journal of Korean Gerontological Society, 18(1), 184-197.
- Kim, J. S. (1989). A study of social activities and ego integrity of the aged. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ewha Women's University, Seoul.
- Kim, M. H., & Kwon, K. J. (2008). Study on the process of abusing elders by daughter in laws. Journal of Korean Gerontological Society, 28(3), 403-424.
- Kim, S. K., & Cho, A. J. (1998). A study on Korean family violence concept and reality. Institute for Health and Social Affairs.
- Kim, T. H., & Han, E. J. (1997). A literature review about measurement and intervention in elder abuse. Journal of Korean Gerontological Society, 17(1), 51-73.
- Korean Institute of Criminology (1995). A study about elder criminal and criminal damage, Seoul: Korea, Republic of.
- Kwon, J. (2004). A study on the casual factors of elderly abuse. Journal of Korea Gerontological Society, 24, 1-19.
- Lee, K. K. (1981). Psychological problem in Korean family. Seoul: Iljisa.
- Lee, S. H. (1998). A study of the relationship between ego integrity and health status of the aged. Unpublished master's thesis, Chungnam National University, Daejeon.
- Pillemer, K. (1985). The dangers of dependency; new findings on domestic violence against the elderly. Social Problems, 33(2), 46-158.
- Song, H. A., & Jun, G. R. (1998). A study on elder mistreatment. Journal of Korean Home Economics Association. 36(3), 145-159.