- Volume 17 Issue 4
The surge control system in unmanned turbojet engine must be capable of accounting uncertainties from engine transient conditions, random fluctuations of key parameters such as air pressure and fuel flow and engine modeling errors. In this paper, taking into consideration of its effectiveness as well as system stability, a fuzzy PI controller is proposed. The role of the fuzzy PI controller is to stabilize the unmanned aircraft upon occurring unexpected engine surge. The proposed control scheme is proved by computer simulation using a linear engine model. The simulation results on the state space model of a small turbojet engine illustrate the proposed control system achieves the desired performance.
- Garg, S., "Propulsion Controls and Health Management Research," Combustion, Airbrea thing Propulsion Joint Meeting, Destin, Florida, April. 2002.
- M. Athans, P. Kapasouris, E. Kappos, and H. A. Spang , "Linear-Quadratic Gaussian with Loop-Transfer Recovery Methodology for F-100 Engine," Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, vol.9, no.1, Jan.-Feb. 1986,
- S. Garg, "Turbofan Engine Control System Design Using the LQG/LTR Methodology," Proc. of ACC, Pennsylvania, 1989.
- S. Garg, D. L. Mattern, and R. E. Bullard, "Integrated Flight/Propulsion Control System Design Based on a Centralized Approach," Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, vol.14, no.1, Jan-Feb. 1991.
- D. E. Moellenhoff, S. V. Rao, and C. A. Skarvan, "Design of Robust Controllers for Gas Turbine Engines," Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, vol. 113, Apr. 1991.
- Q. Song, J. Wilkie, and M.J. Grimble, "Robust controller for gas turbines based using LQG/LTR design with self-tuning features," J. of Dynamic Sys. Meas. and Contr., vol.115, Sep. 1993.
- S. R. Watts and S. Garg, "A Comparison of Multivariable Control Design Techniques for a Turbofan Engine Control," ASME Paper 95-GT-258, 1995.
- D. K. Frederick, S. Garg, and S. Adibhatla, "Turbofan Engine Control Design Using Robust Multivariable Control Technologies," IEEE Trans. Contr. Systems Tech. vol. 8, no.6, Nov. 2000.
- A. Garassino, "An advanced control system for turbofan engine:multivariable control and fuzzy logic," ASME 95-GT-344, 1995.
- N. Kulkarni and K. KrishnaKumar, "Intelligent Engine Control Using an Adaptive Critic," IEEE Trans. Contr. Systems Tech. vol. 11, no.2, Mar. 2003.
- Y. Diao and K. M. Passino, "Adaptive Control for a Class of Nonlinear Time-Varying Systems," Proc. of ACC, June 2001.
- A. Kolnsberg, "Reasons for centrifugal compressor surging and surge control," J. of Engineering for Power, vol.101, Jan. 1979.
- O. Badmus, S. Chowdhury, and C.N. Nett, "Feedback linearizing control of surge in an axial compression system:theory and experimental validation," ASME 95-GT-176, 1995.
- C. Tournes and Y. B. Shtessel, "Controlling Transient Deviations from Adaptation Lines in Turbojet Engines Compressor Fields via Sliding Mode," Proc. of the IEEE CCA, Oct. 1997.
- W. M. Haddad, A. Leonessa, V. S. Chellaboina, and J. L. Fausz, "Nonlinear Robust Disturbance Rejection Controllers for Rotating Stall and Surge in Axial Flow Compressors," IEEE Trans. Contr. Systems Tech. vol. 7 no.3 May 1999.
- M. Hardt, W. Helton, and K. K. Delgado, "Numerical Solution of Nonlinear H_2 and H_infinite Control Problems with Application to Jet Engine Compressors," IEEE Trans. Contr. Systems Tech. vol. 8 no.1 Jan. 2000.
- M. S. Jie, E. J. Mo, G. Y. Hong, and K. W. Lee, "Fuzzy Logic Controller for Turbojet Engine of Unmanned Aircraft," Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence 4251. 2006.