- Volume 9 Issue 7
This study was to investigate the relation between maxillofacial trauma experience and temporomandibular disorder prevalence with a view to helping prevent and cure temporomandibular dysfunctions by conducting a questionnaire survey with 370 students attending C Health Care College located in Ulsan Metropolis. Data collected underwent an analysis using SPSS program, resulting in the following:1. As for TMJ(temporomandibular joint) clicking prevalence rate, with 25.7% of male students and 22.7% of female students answering positively, the former showed higher rate of temporomandibular joint clicking (p<0.01), while no significant difference was identified depending on school years. 2. In terms of temporomandibular pain prevalence rates, females were found to have been more affected than male students. 3. When it comes to trismus prevalence rates, 10.8% of female students and 7.0% of male students responded they had experienced the dysfunction and female students showed slightly higher rate of trismus prevalence. 4. 6.5% of males and 4.3% of female students responded they had got treatment experience resulting from temporomandibular disorders, indicating that more male students had gone through treatment for temporomandibular disorders(p<0.05). 5. Male students showed higher experience rate of maxillofacial trauma(p<0.01), mostly due to falling or tumbling down, followed by exercises and etc. 6. The relation between maxillofacial trauma and temporomandibular disorders showed statistically significant relation between maxillofacial trauma and TMJ(temporomandibular joint) clicking (p<0.01).
Maxillofacial Trauma Experience;Temporomandibular Disorder
- S. C. Jung, Orofacial pain & temporomandibulardisorders, Shinhunginternational, 2006.
- H. Jung and W. S. Heo, "TMJ pain," J. of Korean Dental Association, Vol.33, pp.391-394,1995.
- U. C. Gi, J. K. Choi, M. Y. GO, TMD tributary assesment & treatment, Jisung pub., 1993.
- A. S. Kaplan and L. A. Assael Temporomandibular disorders Diagnosis treatment, W.B. Saunders Co., 1991.
- K. S. Kim, "Temporomandibular disorders factor," J. of Korean Dental Association, Vol.29, No.5, pp.354-358, 1991.
- S. C. Jung and Y. G. Kim, Orofacial pain & temporomandibulardisorders, Shinhunginternational, 1996.
- K. Schneider, R. F. Zernicke, and G. Clark, 'Modeling of jaw-head-neck dynamics during whiplash,' J. of Dent Res, Vol.68, pp.1360-1365, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345890680091401
- A. G. Pullinger and A, Monteiro, "History factors associated with symptoms of temporomandibular disorders," J. of Oral Rehabil, Vol.15, pp.117-124, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.1988.tb00760.x
- A. Seligman and G. Pullinger, "A multiple stepwise logistic regression analysis of trauma history and 16 trauma and 16 other history and dental cofactors in females with temporomandibular disorders," J. of Orofacial Pain, Vol.10, No.4, pp.351-361, 1996.
- B. L. Braun, A. DiGiovanna, E. Schiffman, J. Bonnema, and J. Fricton, "A cross-sectional study of temporomandibular joint dysfuction in post-cervical trauma patients," J. of Craniomandib Disord Facial Oral Pain, Vol.6, pp.24-31, 1992.
- J. H. Lee and J. M. Choi, "A study on the temporomandibular joint disorder and school life stress of high school student by department," J. of Dent Hygiene Science, Vol.7, No.3, 179-185, 2007.
- K. H. Jung, H. G. Kwon, J. B. Kim, and C. H. Choi, "Prevalence of temporomandibular disorders and its relation with maxillofacial trauma in 6-14 and 16 years old Korean children," J. of Korean Acad Dent Health, Vol.27, No.2, pp.249-263, 2003.
- S. L. Cha, The prevalence of temporomandibular disorders in 16-18 aged subjects, Department of dentistry graduate school of chosun unversity, 1999.
- J. H. Choi, "A survey of temporomandibular disorders(TMD) in Korean adolescent," J. of oonchunhyang Med. Coll, Vol.5, No.2, pp.293-303, 1999.
- J. H. Lee, U. J. Park, and J. M. Choi, "Research on occupational stress of the some local workers and temporomandibular joint disorder," J. of Dent Hygiene Science, Vol.9, No.1, pp.9-15, 2009.
- H. K. Lee, "An epidemiology study on temopro-mandibular disorders of employees residing at Seoul," The Yeungnam Univ. Med. J., Vol.13, No.2, pp.309-323, 1996.
- E. L. Schiffman, J. R. Friton, D. P. Haley, and L. S. Burton, "The prevalence and treatment needs of subjects with temporomandibular disorders," J.A.D.A., Vol.210, pp.295-303, 1990.
- The Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2006 Nation oral health status survey, 2007.
- K. W. Jang and J. B. Kim, Oral heath survey method, KMS, 2001.
- W. E. Bell, Temporomandibular disorders, Year Book Medical Pub., 1992.
- O. Grosfeld, M. Jackowska, and B. Czarnecka, "Results of epidemiological examinations of the TMJ in adolescents and young adults," J. of Oral Rehab, Vol.12, No.2, pp.95-105, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.1985.tb00625.x
- T. Ogura, T. Morinushi, H. Ohno, K. Sumi, and K. Hatada, "Epidemiological study of TMJ dysfunction syndrome in adolescents," J. Pedodont, Vol.10, pp.22-35, 1985.
- M. Nilner and S. Lassing, "Prevalence of functional disturbances and disease of the stomatognathic system in 7-14 year olds," Swed Dent J., Vol.5, pp.173-197, 1981.
- Charles McNeill, Current controversies in temporomandibular disorders, Quintessence Pub., 1991.
- J. E. Todd and T. Dodd, Chidren's dental health in the United Kingdom, HMSO, 1983.