DOI QR코드

DOI QR Code

Cognition of Teachers' and Students' Awareness on Gender for the Contents of Korean Language Education

외국어로서 한국어 교육콘텐츠에서의 성별언어에 대한 인식

  • Published : 2009.08.28

Abstract

This paper focuses on gender studies with respect to language education for KFL(Korean as a foreign language) students. It also attempts to view the role of gender as exerting influence on language learning and teaching, and surveys KFL teachers' awareness of the role of gender in Korean language education. It is conceivable that teachers who are aware of differences between female and male will be able to take these into account in their teaching; in doing so they will be more effective in their teaching than if they were to teach in ignorance of these differences. The survey for the teachers' awareness of gender difference was conducted through teachers' discussion as the follow-up measure of the questionnaire. A few teachers do not have a clear idea about the importance of gender differences in language teaching, but the majority have cognizance of the matter. For this research, a questionnaire was administered to 71 subjects, consisting 37 intermediate KFL students and 34 advanced KFL students. The result of the questionnaire reveals that 50.4% subjects use their words and intonation without recognizing the gender difference, on the other hand, 49.6% subjects recognize the gender differences in Korean language use. The result should be adopted as a sociolinguistic factor for the contents of second language education.

Keywords

Gender Difference;Korean as a Foreign Language, Teachers' am Students' Awareness;Language Education

References

  1. J. Sunderland, "Review article: Issues of language and gender in second and foreign language education," Language Teaching, Vol.33, No.4, pp.203-223, 2000b. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0261444800015688
  2. 한국여성개발원, 남녀평등의 이해, 한학문화, 1997.
  3. H. D. Brown, Principles of Language Learning and Teaching, New York: Addition Wesley Longman. Inc. 2000.
  4. R. Lakoff, Language and Woman's Place, New York: Harper & Row, 1975.
  5. J. Coates and D. Cameron, Women in their speech communities, New York: Longman.1988.
  6. 김선희, "여성어에 대한 고찰", 목원대 논문집, 제19권, pp.111-128, 목원대학교, 1991.
  7. 이석규, 김선희, "남성어.여성어에 관한 연구", 어문학연구, 제2권, 목원대학교, 1992.
  8. 임홍빈, "국어의 여성어 연구- 국어사자료와 국어학의 연구", 문학과 지성, 1993.
  9. 김선희, 우리 사회 속의 우리말-여성어에 관한 고찰, 한국문화사, 2001.
  10. D. Tannen, Gender and Discourse, New York: Oxford University Press, 1994.
  11. J. Sunderland, "New understandings of gender and language classroom research: Texts, teacher talk and student talk," Language Teaching Research, Vol.4, No.2, pp.149-173, 2000a. https://doi.org/10.1177/136216880000400204
  12. 최혜정, 국어에 나타난 성차별적 표현연구, 배재대 석사학위논문, 1999.
  13. 안상수, 사회적 의사소통 연구: 성차별적 언어표현 사례조사 및 대안마련을 위한 연구, 국립국어원.한국여성정책연구원, 2007.