- Volume 38 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Flavonoid Component Changes and Antioxidant Activities of Fermented Citrus grandis Osbeck Peel
당유자 과피 발효물의 플라보노이드 성분 변화 및 항산화 활성
- Hyon, Jae-Seok (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Jeju College of Technology) ;
- Kang, Sung-Myung (School of Marine Biomedicinal Sciences, Jeju National University) ;
- Han, Sang-Won (School of Marine Biomedicinal Sciences, Jeju National University) ;
- Kang, Min-Cheol (School of Marine Biomedicinal Sciences, Jeju National University) ;
- Oh, Myung-Cheol (Dept. of Tourism Hotel Culinary Art, Jeju College of Technology) ;
- Oh, Chang-Kyung (Dept. of Tourism Hotel Culinary Art, Jeju College of Technology) ;
- Kim, Dong-Woo (Central Research Center, Natural F&P Co., Ltd.) ;
- Jeon, You-Jin (School of Marine Biomedicinal Sciences, Jeju National University) ;
- Kim, Soo-Hyun (Dept. of Food Bioengineering, Jeju National University)
- 현재석 (제주산업정보대학 식품영양과) ;
- 강성명 (제주대학교 해양의생명과학부) ;
- 한상원 (제주대학교 해양의생명과학부) ;
- 강민철 (제주대학교 해양의생명과학부) ;
- 오명철 (제주산업정보대학 관광호텔조리과) ;
- 오창경 (제주산업정보대학 관광호텔조리과) ;
- 김동우 ((주)네추럴 F&P 중앙연구소) ;
- 전유진 (제주대학교 해양의생명과학부) ;
- 김수현 (제주대학교 식품생명공학과)
- Published : 2009.10.31
In this study, we investigated the change of antioxidant activity and flavonoid contents by fermentation of Citrus grandis Osbeck peel (CGP) using the Saccharomyces cerevisiae (KCCM35053), comparing to unfermented CGP. Total flavonoid content in the fermented Citrus grandis Osbeck peel (FCGP) was 3,768 g/100 g sample and higher than that of CGP. The antioxidant activities of FCGP was determined by DPPH, hydroxyl, alkyl radicals, and hydrogen peroxide scavenging assays. FCGP showed higher activities than CGP in all scavenging assays. The
- Aruoma OI. 1998. Free radicals, oxidative stress and antioxidants in human health and disease. JAOCS 75: 199-212. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11746-998-0032-9
- Valko M, Leibfritz D, Moncol J, Cronin MTD, Mazur M, Tesler J. 2007. Free radicals and antioxidants in normal physiological functions and human disease. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 39: 44-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocel.2006.07.001
- Kim HJ, Jin CB, Lee YS. 2007. Antioxidative activities of phenolic compound isolated from Inonotus obliquus. Kor J Pharmacogn 38: 1-16.
- Valko M, Rhodes CJ, Moncol J, Izakovic M, Mazur M. 2006. Free radicals, metals and antioxidants in oxidative stressinduced cancer. Chem Biol Interact 160: 1-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2005.12.009
- Masaki H, Skai S, Atsumi T, Sakurai H. 1995. Active oxygen scavenging activity of plant extracts. Biol Pharm Bull 18: 162-166. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.18.162
- Lee HY, Seog HM, Nam YJ, Chung DH. 1987. Physicochemical properties of Korean mandarin (Citrus reticula) orange juice. Kor J Food Sci Technol 19: 338-345.
- Bok SH, Lee SH, Park YB, Bae KH, Jeong TS, Choi MS. 1999. Plasma and hepatic cholesterol and hepatic activities of 3-hydroxy-3-methyl-glutaryl-CoA reductase and acyl CoA:cholesterol transferase are lower in rats fed citrus peel extract or a mixture of citrus bioflavonoids. J Nitr 29: 1182-1185.
- Chen YT, Zheng RL, Jia ZJ, Ju Y. 1990. Flavonoids as superoxide scavenger and antioxidants. Free Red Biol Med 9: 19-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(90)90045-K
- Cook NC, Samman S. 1996. Flavonoids-chemistry, metabolism, cardioprotective effects and dietary sources. J Nutr Biochem 7: 66-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/0955-2863(95)00168-9
- Damon P, Flandre O, Michel F, Perdrix L, Lavrid C, Crastes de Paulet A. 1987. Effect of chronic treatment with a purified flavonoid fraction on inflammatory granuloma in the rat. Arzneimittelforschung 37: 1149-1153.
- Yoshio S Bacterial. 1963. paramedicidal and spermatocidal actions of some flavonoids. Gifu Ika Daigaku Kiyo 10: 123-130.
- Ahn SC, Kim MS, Lee SY, Kang JH, Kim BH, Oh WK, Kim BY, Ahn JS. 2005. Increase of bioactive flavonoid aglycone extracable from Korean citrus peel by carbohydrate- hydrolysing enzymes. Kor J Microbiol Biotechnol 33: 288-294.
- Puri M, Banerjee UC. 2000. Production, purification, and characterization of the debittering enzyme naringinase. Biotechnol Adv 18: 207-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-9750(00)00034-3
- Day AJ, DuPont MS, Ridley S, Rhodes M, Rhodes MJ, Morgan MR, Williamson G. 1998. Deglycosylation of flavonoid ad isoflavonid glycosides by human small intestine and liver beta-glucosidase activity. FEBS Lett 436: 71-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-5793(98)01101-6
- Kim YJ, Moon JY, Kim JH, Kim HG, Kim JH, Cho SK. 2007. Effects of mixing method and storage period of Dangyuja-sugar mixture on customer preferences for Dangyuja-tea. Kor J Food Preserv 14: 160-164.
- Lee HJ, Kang GJ, Yoon WJ, Kang HK, Kim YS, Kim SM, Yoo ES. 2006. Anti-inflammatory effect of unripe fruit of Citrus grandis Osbeck in RAW264.7 and HaCat cells. Kor J Pharmacogn 37: 74-80.
- Lim HK, Yoo ES, Moon JY, Jeon YJ, Cho SK. 2006. Antioxidant activity of extracts from Dangyuja (Citrus grandis Osbeck) fruits produced in Jeju island. Food Sci Biotechnol 15: 312-316.
- Lim HK, Moon JY, Kim HN, Cho MJ, Cho SK. 2009. Induction of apoptosis in U937 human leukemia cells by the hexane fraction of an extract of immature Citrus grandis Osbeck fruits. Food Chem 114: 1245-1250. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.10.088
- Moon SW, Kang SH, Jin YJ, Park JG, Lee YD, Lee YK, Park DB, Kim SJ. 2004. Physiological activity/nutrition: fermentation of Citrus unshiu Marc. and functional characteristics of the fermented products. Kor J Food Sci Technol 36: 669-676.
- Zhuang XP, Lu YY, Yang GS. 1992. Extraction and determination of flavonoid in ginkgo. Chinese Herbe Med 23: 122-124.
- Nanjo F, Goto K, Seto R, Suzuki H, Sakai M, Hara Y. 1996. Scavenging effects of tea catechins and their derivatives on 1,1-diphnyl-2-picrylhydrazyl radical. Free Radic Biol Med 21: 885-902. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(96)00237-7
- Rosen GM, Rauckman EJ. 1980. Spin trapping of the primary radical involved in the activation of the carcinogen N-hydroxy-2-acetylaminofluorene by cumene hydroperoxide hematin. Mol Phamacol 17: 233-238.
- Hiramoto K, Johkoh H, Sako H, Kikugawa K. 1993. DNA breaking activity of the carbon-centered radical generated from 2,2-azobis(2-amidinopropane) hydrochloride (AAPH). Free Radic Res Commun 19: 323-332. https://doi.org/10.3109/10715769309056521
- Muller HE. 1995. Detection of hydrogen peroxide produced by microorganism on ABTS peroxidase medium. Zentralbl Bakteriol Mikrobiol Hyg 259: 151-158.
- Yusof S, Ghazali HM, King GS. 1990. Naringin content in local citrus fruits. Food Chem 37: 113-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-8146(90)90085-I
- Hermann K. 1989. Occurrence and content of hydroxycinnamic and hydroxyl-benzoic acid compounds in foods. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 28: 315-347. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408398909527504
- Xu XM, Jun JY, Jeong IH. 2007. A study on the antioxidant activity of Hae-songi mushroom (Hypsizigus marmoreus) hot water extract. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 36: 1351-1357. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.11.1351
- Kim YD, Mahinda S, Koh KS, Jeon YJ, Kim SH. 2009. Reactive oxygen species scavenging activity of Jeju native citrus peel during maturation. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 462-469. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.4.462
- Chance S, Sies H, Boveris A. 1979. Hydroperoxide metabolism in mammalian organs. Physiol Rev 59: 527-605. https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.19220.127.116.117
- Physicochemical Characteristics and Antioxidant Activities of Fermented Garlic Husk vol.39, pp.12, 2010, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.12.1731
- Flavonoid profiles of immature and mature fruit tissues ofCitrus grandisOsbeck (Dangyuja) and overall contribution to the antioxidant effect vol.29, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1002/bmc.3318
- Studies on Bioactive Substances and Antioxidant Activities of Marine Algae from Jeju Island vol.8, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15433/ksmb.2016.8.1.030
- Comparison of proximate compositions, antioxidant, and antiproliferative activities between blueberry and Sageretia thea (Osbeck) M.C.Johnst fruit produced in Jeju Island vol.60, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2017.027
- Fermentation and Sensory Characteristics of Korean Traditional Fermented Liquor (Makgeolli) Added with Citron (Citrus junos SIEB ex TANAKA) Juice vol.43, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2011.43.4.438
- Analysis of Constituents from Guibi-Tang with Lactobacillus 2012, https://doi.org/10.7763/IJBBB.2012.V2.135
- Antioxidative and Antiaging Effects of Fermented Soybean, Rice Bran, and Red Ginseng by Mixed Ratios vol.28, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.13103/JFHS.2013.28.4.354
- Anti-Inflammatory Activity of Ethanol Extracts from Hizikia fusiformis Fermented with Lactic Acid Bacteria in LPS-Stimulated RAW264.7 Macrophages vol.44, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.10.1450
- Protective Effects of Zizyphus jujuba and Fermented Zizyphus jujuba from Free Radicals and Hair Loss vol.43, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.8.1174
- Anti-inflammatory Activity of Hizikia fusiformis Extracts Fermented with Lactobacillus casei in LPS-stimulated RAW 264.7 Macrophages vol.30, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7841/ksbbj.2015.30.1.38
- Fermentation Characteristics and Sensory Characteristics of Makgeolli with Dried Citron (Citrus junos SIEB ex TANAKA) Peel vol.43, pp.5, 2011, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2011.43.5.603